PDA

View Full Version : Shark bites

Lawnworks
06-06-2008, 02:12 AM
Love them or hate them?

WalkGood
06-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Well if they are legal and do not leak for 30 - 40 years I have no problem with them. Could be a big time savor which equals $$$$$.

No Rush
06-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Do you have a link to the web site or do they have a web site?

lehrjetmx
06-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Do you have a link to the web site or do they have a web site?
http://www.cashacme.com/http://www.cashacme.com/

No Rush
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Now that I have seen these sharkbite products I can see that this home does have some sharkbite products installed. Thanks all. I'll post pictures of the "T" later...

DanaMac
06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Love them or hate them?

I don't like them. It hurts when they tear the flesh and get to the bones. Pretty ugly bites from what I've seen. Good thing no sharks here in land locked state. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Love them or hate them?

might make for easier service work. I'd use on copper laterals. Let me note though that their use in homes can be a hazard for irri contractors. I put them in the category of what I call copper stop fittings. An experience that I heard at a ceu class is worth repeating.

A local builder sold a home and as part of the sell a landscape and irri system needed to be installed. So builder gets low bid guy who decides the only way he can make money is to max his zones out regardless of using proper hydraulics. The system had very high psi so he ran 22+ gpm through a 5/8 meter and 3/4" copper line. The vibrations from the excessive fps of water went into the house and vibrated off a copper stop fitting at the washing machine and flooded the house. What was interesting is they originally blamed the plumber who was a savvy guy I guess. He replaced the fitting then told the irrigation guy to run the system and sure enough it blew off again.

DanaMac
06-06-2008, 09:48 AM
What was interesting is they originally blamed the plumber who was a savvy guy I guess. He replaced the fitting then told the irrigation guy to run the system and sure enough it blew off again.

Ouch. good call on the plumber. Glad at least one knows what he's doing

LawnMedic904
06-06-2008, 10:17 AM
I've used them in a buddy's house that was plumbed with PEX about 5 yrs ago and there still holding strong. I'm not sold on using them for underground, but I would be interested to hear if someone is using them?

If you do use them, don't forget to get the "removal tool" looks like an orange horseshoe. Their easy to use, but they are pricey, around $6-$9 per fitting compared to $1-$2 pvc, makes them cost prohibitive for me.

Dirty Water
06-06-2008, 04:11 PM
I used one to tap a 3/4" copper line last year when I was doing a irrigation system as a favor, and didn't have my old tools.

Its held so far.

Mike Leary
06-06-2008, 04:14 PM
I used one to tap a 3/4" copper line last year when I was doing a irrigation system as a favor, and didn't have my old tools.

Its held so far.

:::::checks L & I to see if this guy is licensed:::::: :)

lehrjetmx
06-06-2008, 04:51 PM
we have used them to tee off the main line from the well to the outdoor plumbing so far so good. the only thing I can say is too make sure you get a clean fit and you push it straight in. the collars get jacked up very easily if you have a burr on the pipe or if your cut wasn't clean. just my 2 cents.

cgbaseball23
06-06-2008, 05:46 PM
We use sharkbites as often as we can and love them. We have never had one fail on us yet.

They need to make one that could be an alternative to a compression tee tho. 3/4" copper on both ends and a threaded 1" coming out to attach a pvc line. That would be very useful... But so far I havnt seen one yet.

Lawnworks
06-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I love them as well... I ripped a 5/8" water meter off when my trencher hit a main line the other day. I called the water authority said they would fix my geyser in 4 hours... great gov't service. I went to the hardware store and bought a sharkbite and copper ball valve... It took about 10 minutes of getting soaking wet putting the sharkbite on the copper service line at 110psi of constant water flow... but we finally got it on straight and it worked! Called the water authority and told them to forget about it.

Waterit
06-06-2008, 07:27 PM
Called the water authority and told them to forget about it.

Bet they won't forget to bill you for lost water...

DanaMac
06-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Bet they won't forget to bill you for lost water...

Hey, this reminded me. Can I bill my customers for the time I am working on their system in my sleep? Having dreams (or nightmares) of repairing and servicing systems a lot lately. It's good though, my dreams weren't registering the last couple years. Sleep is better lately.

I bet lawyers do it!! :laugh:

Dirty Water
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
I love them as well... I ripped a 5/8" water meter off when my trencher hit a main line the other day. I called the water authority said they would fix my geyser in 4 hours... great gov't service. I went to the hardware store and bought a sharkbite and copper ball valve... It took about 10 minutes of getting soaking wet putting the sharkbite on the copper service line at 110psi of constant water flow... but we finally got it on straight and it worked! Called the water authority and told them to forget about it.

I've hotswapped a valve on a gravity fed 4" main. The trick is to keep the valve open while your trying to get it spun in, its impossible to do with it closed.

You do get wet :)

WalkGood
06-06-2008, 08:17 PM
We use sharkbites as often as we can and love them. We have never had one fail on us yet.

They need to make one that could be an alternative to a compression tee tho. 3/4" copper on both ends and a threaded 1" coming out to attach a pvc line. That would be very useful... But so far I havnt seen one yet.

Use a 3/4" X 3/4" x 3/4" (U370) and then they have a bunch of different combo fittings to make any connection you need.

http://www.cashacme.com/_images/pdf_downloads/products/sharkbite/SB_Brochure.pdf