PDA

View Full Version : exmark mower stolen

mbanks23
06-06-2008, 02:13 AM
to all you guys out there cutting grass, please read. yesterday in atlanta, ga, i was in Picadilly cafeteria on my lunch break and walked out and saw my gate dropped and my exmark mower gone. Mind you i was parked close to the windows so i could "see" any activity around my truck. So the police came did their thing and left. Went to buy another one when another lco guy said did you check around the woods. I said no and rushed back over there and sure enough, whoever had stolen it off my trailer drove as deep as he could in the woods. It was like hitting the jackpot. Real eye opener for me though. This happened in broad daylight in a good part of town. just relaying to anyone that this may ( and i hope not) happen to, dont ever give up finding it. I had. then it was found. I know the cops dont help much but you can yourself exhaust every avenue to locate it. I was lucky, very very lucky to find mine. I hope this never happens to anyone. The cops really didnt want to do much about it either , before and after if you can beleive that.

farmboy1285
06-06-2008, 02:48 AM
Wow that's great you found it, its kind of weird that someone would steal it in broad daylight in front of people. Im sure you wont be letting your guard down for a long time.

4curbappeal
06-06-2008, 02:53 AM
I read your post, but I still don't understand what happened! I think you got it back! Do you type out your invoices?

doubleedge
06-06-2008, 02:56 AM
to all you guys out there cutting grass, please read. yesterday in atlanta, ga, i was in Picadilly cafeteria on my lunch break and walked out and saw my gate dropped and my exmark mower gone. Mind you i was parked close to the windows so i could "see" any activity around my truck. So the police came did their thing and left. Went to buy another one when another lco guy said did you check around the woods. I said no and rushed back over there and sure enough, whoever had stolen it off my trailer drove as deep as he could in the woods. It was like hitting the jackpot. Real eye opener for me though. This happened in broad daylight in a good part of town. just relaying to anyone that this may ( and i hope not) happen to, dont ever give up finding it. I had. then it was found. I know the cops dont help much but you can yourself exhaust every avenue to locate it. I was lucky, very very lucky to find mine. I hope this never happens to anyone. The cops really didnt want to do much about it either , before and after if you can beleive that.

I would have had the cops hide in the bushes and catch that @#$@^#$.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-06-2008, 03:00 AM
Joyriding? Or stashing it until later?

mbanks23
06-06-2008, 03:09 AM
yes got my mower back. i found it hidden in woods to be picked up later. i was saying dont give up finding it if it happens to you. i was extremely lucky to find mine. i asked the cops to hide and they said in a nice way they couldnt, because they didnt have the man power but what ticked me off when i was there was they had someone rush to a shoplifting call (i heard on radio) but didnt seem real eager to catch the guy or guys who did this to me. so i rode by there around midnite to see if they were staking it out and no one was there. they had a realistic chance to catch someone and couldnt or wouldnt do it, frustrates me to no avail.

doubleedge
06-06-2008, 03:12 AM
Maybe you shoulda waited there with a large blunt object..... Kidding of course :weightlifter:.

Roger
06-06-2008, 07:49 AM
A couple of observations:

1. Why would somebody suggest "looking in the woods" unless he/she knew something about the activity? Such a suggestion, without any reason or provocation, seems very unlikely, UNLESS that person knew something about the incident.

2. Since you parked the truck/trailer in a position to keep an eye on it, why wouldn't you have seen the machine being taken off the trailer. That kind of activity would have been viewed as unusual, and been obvious. Somebody sneaking around a trailer, pulling off a blower is something else. But, taking down the gate, unlatching the hold-downs, starting the engine, and driving it off, would have been so obvious. Also, just seeing it drive across the parking lot would have been an easy alert.

3. Why didn't you just load it back on the trailer, and get on with your day's work? Why did you "pick it up later?" Were you ready to confront anybody who might have returned to pick it up? What were you prepared to do?

There appears to be many missing pieces from this story.

Horsepower Lawns
06-06-2008, 08:05 AM
Glad you got it back.

Who ever took the mower was going too pick it up later. He loaded it up as soon as he found it.

But why did the other guy tell you to look in the woods?

ATL Lawn
06-06-2008, 11:43 AM
yes got my mower back. i found it hidden in woods to be picked up later. i was saying dont give up finding it if it happens to you. i was extremely lucky to find mine. i asked the cops to hide and they said in a nice way they couldnt, because they didnt have the man power but what ticked me off when i was there was they had someone rush to a shoplifting call (i heard on radio) but didnt seem real eager to catch the guy or guys who did this to me. so i rode by there around midnite to see if they were staking it out and no one was there. they had a realistic chance to catch someone and couldnt or wouldnt do it, frustrates me to no avail.

i totally undersatand, i had the same thing happen.

but lets put the numbers on it

lets say cops make $40k a yr

that means that cop makes around $30 an hour(+insurance,benfits, car running, gas,ect)

then when he catch the guy, he gotta go to court (another 2-3hrs)
and booking another hr

was the city suppose to pay him $30 and hr for about 8hrs just to find who did this?

but i fell your pain brother

saw man
06-06-2008, 11:50 AM

that means that cop makes around $30 an hour(+insurance,benfits, car running, gas,ect)

and booking another hr

was the city suppose to pay him $30 and hr for about 8hrs just to find who did this?

You suck at math if you think that $30/hr is $40k a year on a 40/hr work week!

Besides, what can that cop REALLY do to make you happy besides not going to any other call and drive around tell he finds your mower? Your mower was gone, all that can be done is to give them your serial # and hope something comes up in a pawn shop. You got lucky to find yours but MOST stollen product never finds its way back! Thats why they dont spend 5 hrs with you.

zemzabob
06-06-2008, 11:57 AM
It kills me how bold thieves are.

newz7151
06-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Should have gotten you a tree stand and taken the rest of the day off for hunting season. Leave your mower where it was and camp out in the tree just waiting to line the cross hairs up on somebody.

mbanks23
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM
roger, what the *** is wrong with you? I had my mower stolen and was lucky enough to outsmart the criminal. i had another guy suggest, that maybe they might have stashed it in the woods to come back and get it later. hes had plenty stolen from him and recovered it some this way (hand tools and such) For you to say these things pisses me off. No if someone drops a trailer and backs off the mower and drives it around the parking lot, whos to say anything to him. For all they know the "boss" goes inside to talk to someone and his helper i.e. thief, takes the mower off to begin work. No one has ever come up to me unloading a mower at a commercial place or called the police on me thinking im stealing it. Use your brain, most people see unloading but dont think about it being stolen. Do you really cut grass or just criticize everyone else? your just like the cops, they even started to blame me and him (the friend of mine who suggested this) until it reasoned out with them and understood some idiot took a chance and almost got away with it. Maybe something like this needs to happen to you, then you will get off your ass and realize that things do happen, criminals are dumb but do get away with stuff.

gandk06
06-06-2008, 12:59 PM

1. Why would somebody suggest "looking in the woods" unless he/she knew something about the activity? Such a suggestion, without any reason or provocation, seems very unlikely, UNLESS that person knew something about the incident.

2. Since you parked the truck/trailer in a position to keep an eye on it, why wouldn't you have seen the machine being taken off the trailer. That kind of activity would have been viewed as unusual, and been obvious. Somebody sneaking around a trailer, pulling off a blower is something else. But, taking down the gate, unlatching the hold-downs, starting the engine, and driving it off, would have been so obvious. Also, just seeing it drive across the parking lot would have been an easy alert.

3. Why didn't you just load it back on the trailer, and get on with your day's work? Why did you "pick it up later?" Were you ready to confront anybody who might have returned to pick it up? What were you prepared to do?

These are the same questions I was asking myself as well, especially 1 and 3.

If this happened to me I don't think I would head right off to buy a new one. Might wait at least a day or two? Call insurance first? Ask around if anyone saw anything? Someone saw someone on a mower go across a parking lot and into the woods.

Then you DO go find it but don't get it back right away?

Either you really wanted a new mower and didn't care about the old one or something is VERY fishy about your story.

MarcSmith
06-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Sign.......I would have at least had the cops come back and fingerprint...But again, perfect example, cable and a lock or a pad lock on the tailgate could have prevented the opportunistic thief.

so you should now, count your lucky stars, do you hail mary's cross your self, .... go to the hardware store and purchase some (20 feet or so) rubber coated cable, ferrules and some keyed alike locks. Cable the can run through each handle of every tool, and gas can. and its not heavy and paint in the ass to handle like chain.

again this wont stop a determined thief, but it stop the snatch/grabs

farmboy1285
06-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Im not being critical but im curious was the key left in the machine. I know a guy who leaves the keys in his mowers, and his truck when he is mowing. Just doesn't make sense its like he wants to get his stuff stolen. I work solo and when I am done with any machine with a key I pull it and put it in my pocket, especially my car keys! No offece to any one but some of us are way to trusting.

MarcSmith
06-06-2008, 01:57 PM
i always leave the key in the mower...actually they are all attached to the mower. don't want em falling out or getting lost. Heck a screwdriver can start most mowers.

BFLL
06-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Sounds like your friend might have been pulling a joke on you to me.

jsaunders
06-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like your friend might have been pulling a joke on you to me.

X2 - was my first thought

COPS are LAZY- PERIOD
I would have been there with a friend later that day/evening to see who shows up:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead:(if you know what I mean)

MarcSmith
06-06-2008, 03:04 PM
Sounds like your friend might have been pulling a joke on you to me.never thought of that angle..., if it was a joke its deserving of a "boot to the head"

newz7151
06-06-2008, 05:34 PM

Well then you're another idiot on here that needs to go back to school and pass a reading comprehension test. :hammerhead: :dizzy:

HE DIDN'T LEAVE THE DAMN MOWER THERE AFTER HE FOUND IT. HE SAID IT LOOKED LIKE THE THIEF HAD LEFT IT THERE IN ORDER TO COME BACK LATER AFTER THE HEAT DIED DOWN AND THEN PICK IT UP. LIKELY THE THIEF DID NOT HAVE A TRAILER WITH HIM AND WAS GOING TO COME BACK LATER WITH ONE TO LOAD IT UP.

bohiaa
06-06-2008, 07:16 PM

and booking another hr

HU ? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Big Wes
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
You need to invest in an enclosed trailer. Lock it up and go to lunch, no worries then.
Gas can's area big target in open trailers, chain/cable them together and fastened to the deck of the trailer. In other words LOCK everything up.

Stillwater
06-07-2008, 01:24 AM
Im not being critical but im curious was the key left in the machine. I know a guy who leaves the keys in his mowers, and his truck when he is mowing. Just doesn't make sense its like he wants to get his stuff stolen. I work solo and when I am done with any machine with a key I pull it and put it in my pocket, especially my car keys! No offece to any one but some of us are way to trusting.

all keys are left in my machines except the trucks

CFB
06-07-2008, 02:09 AM

If this happened to me I don't think I would head right off to buy a new one. Might wait at least a day or two? Call insurance first? Ask around if anyone saw anything? Someone saw someone on a mower go across a parking lot and into the woods.

Either you really wanted a new mower and didn't care about the old one or something is VERY fishy about your story.

Really? The first question I asked myself is..."what would a thief probably w/o a trailer do with a Z far away from home?" Stashing it is the obvious answer.

And the second one seemed pretty obvious that he was talking about the thief who had planned to come back to get it later, and that when mbanks found it, he immediately took it home.

Nothing fishy in the least w/ the story.

Stillwater
06-07-2008, 02:11 AM
never thought of that angle..., if it was a joke its deserving of a "boot to the head"

dam right........

mbanks23
06-07-2008, 02:22 AM
thank you kjones and others for your understanding. as for the critical idiots on here, police were called, fingerprints were taken and then i headed off to buy another. i dont have insurance on my equip and i have learned a valuable lesson. only did we realize that maybe, just maybe i should go back and check in the woods just to see if this was an oppurtunistic crime. the point to my post was that if happened to me it will happen to you ,but dont forget to look around just in case you come across the same situation. i cant imagine how many mowers have been stolen this way. and also, this is the main reason i dont post on here much, too many guys who are way too critical. i was only letting fellow lco's know what happened , not to damn make up a freaking story for entertainement. to all you guys that think im making it up, come pay me a visit.

mbanks23
06-07-2008, 02:26 AM
j saunders, you are exactly right, cops are lazy, lazy. i did come back several times looking to see if anyone would come by but didnt close because the cops told me that they would stake out the area for the nite. they wanted it to stay there, then changed their minds because a diversion could take place, taking them off of it while the real theives came and got it.

MOW ED
06-07-2008, 08:24 AM
Sorry you got victimized. You are pissed and rightly so. It sucks that some a-hole would take a working mans tools and I am fully understand how you feel. Don't get me wrong now but you are angry and have to vent but you can't blame the cops for being lazy. It wasn't the crime of the century and they see this every day, just like you mow lawns every day. There is so much crap going on in the neighborhoods that a crime after the fact is just a report. If you deal with people long enough you will find that many are liars and you become a bit skeptical of everything so don't blame them too much. Now I know you feel they should have staked it out and tried to arrest the culprits. Its a noble thought but its a property crime and in Georgia or Wisconsin its just property. They won't tie up an officer to sit on a mayby. If you would have reported a crime in progress I would be willing to bet you would have gotten quick service depending on the types of calls going on at the time. Imagine if your wife or girlfriend was being harassed a mile away and there were no officers available because they were sitting in the woods. Its not a blanket agreement that the cops weren't helpful but there can be other reasons that we don't always realize.
Take it as a lesson learned. Protect your stuff from now on as you are lucky to get a second chance. Do what you have to do but you now know that there are people looking to get your stuff. Lock it, get a dog, get an alarm, get insurance but don't do things the same way.
Be careful if you do encounter a thief in progress also. You only have the right to defend yourself to a degree necessary. If you severely injure or do worse to someone who is stealing, you potentially can end up in big legal trouble.
Emotionally, this is a big deal. Someone violated your space and you are rightfully angry. I have been in your shoes also and know the feeling. Stay safe and look at it as a positive and move on. It takes a while to get there but you will.

lawnwizards
06-07-2008, 08:52 AM
cops have tough jobs, they have to set up stop points to check if youre wearing a seatbelt. they dont have time to fight "real" crime. they are in the insurance companies back pockets.

lifetree
06-07-2008, 09:23 AM
Congratulations on getting your equipment back !!

MarcSmith
06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
cops have tough jobs, they have to set up stop points to check if youre wearing a seatbelt. they dont have time to fight "real" crime. they are in the insurance companies back pockets.
I've never seen more cop haters than on this site, even the car sites I frequent, don't hate cops as much...

Does the cop really want to do the seat belt spot check. Yes he does. WHY, He doesn't want to have to tell you wife or parents that your are dead because you were in a car accident and not wearing your seat belt.

Also, much of the money the state receives from the feds for roads and such, is tied into road safety programs, like DUI check points, Seatbelts, ect. so blame the feds. But on a side note, most checkpoints, they do pickup a fair share of criminals with warrants, ect, that they might otherwise not come across.

Until you or one of your immediate family members takes upon the awsome responsiblities of being a police officer, you will not ever understand.

edited: watch your language please. thanks, jodi

mbanks23
06-07-2008, 01:36 PM
thanks mow ed, thats one of the best posts i have ever read on here. I will still say some cops are lazy but they explained to me exactly what you said and i agreed with it. i didnt give them much of a problem about it for they did all they could. The detectives were very much on my side, it was more the city police i was talking about, they almost didnt believe a word i said. i am thankful i did get it back

lawnwizards
06-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I've never seen more cop haters than on this site, even the car sites I frequent, don't hate cops as much...

Does the cop really want to do the seat belt spot check. Yes he does. WHY, He doesn't want to have to tell you wife or parents that your are dead because you were in a car accident and not wearing your seat belt.

Also, much of the money the state receives from the feds for roads and such, is tied into road safety programs, like DUI check points, Seatbelts, ect. so blame the feds. But on a side note, most checkpoints, they do pickup a fair share of criminals with warrants, ect, that they might otherwise not come across.

Until you or one of your immediate family members takes upon the awsome responsiblities of being a police officer, you will not ever understand.

And since you don't understand just shut the uckfay UPo.k. smart guy, explain this since you are obviously a cop. why is it law to wear a seatbelt but not wear a helmet when on a motorcycle? another thing, i will not shut up. thats my first amendment right, until it gets taken away too. if it makes you wet your panties then maybe you shouldnt read my reply.

DoetschOutdoor
06-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I'd say maybe half the cops half "awesomely hard jobs". Some towns actually have crime, others hahah. Hey just the other night, we were having a bonfire and 4 cops rolled up into our culdesac. I swear one of these days, Im going to have a bonfire at my crib and then my ol lady is going to go rob the local bank. Hell, all the cops are at my place over a freaking bonfire. Our town has about 5 cops on duty and when they ALL show up, block the culdesac, and then tell me to put my boxer up so they can "investigate" , it almost makes me sick.

franky
06-07-2008, 03:02 PM

My friend I think you think too much. Not every body in the world is out to get you. The guy had a smart suggestion of checking the woods. There is nothing wrong with the story. He didn't see his mower taken. How can a pick pocket take someones wallet? The guy could have had another guy the the cafeteria with a cell ph to tell him when to grab it. :)

RHill
06-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Hey lawnwizards,

I am a cop as well, and you have a good point about the seat belts vs. motorcycle helmets, i have had the same questions. The best answer I can give you is the motorcycle riders have a more active lobby and had the law changed... You must understand, cops don't write the laws, it your elected representatives that do that. In my city, we have a ordinance that kids have to wear a helmet on a bicycle but adults dont have wear a helmet on a motorcyle, doesn't make since

Roger
06-08-2008, 10:29 PM
.... Mind you i was parked close to the windows so i could "see" any activity around my truck. ...

.... was lucky enough to outsmart the criminal. .... hes had plenty stolen from him and recovered it some this way (hand tools and such) .... No if someone drops a trailer and backs off the mower and drives it around the parking lot, whos to say anything to him. For all they know the "boss" goes inside to talk to someone and his helper i.e. thief, takes the mower off to begin work. ...

t.... fingerprints were taken and then i headed off to buy another. i dont have insurance on my equip ....

First, thanks to Franky for the compliment of thinking too much. I appreciate your kind observation.

Back to the issue, and why my questions. Yes, there was a very important part of the story missing. "... I don't have insurance ..." provides much help in understanding the sequence. The initial story did not include any discussion about meetings with an insurance adjuster, and what kind of money was available for a replacement.

Also, "... headed off to buy another ..." is a bit strange. With the opportunity to make a replacement, this would be the ideal time to evaluate your business, what equipment would work best for the current situation. I expect that most of us, if given the opportunity to have some changes in our equipment list, we would make those changes.

There has been much criticism in this thread of the police officers in the case, and officers in general. Looking at your two posts regarding visual observations of your equipment trailer, how could have this happened? Sure, somebody getting a mower off a trailer in a parking lot in a commercial establishment might not be strange. But, when it is YOUR mower, being unloaded off YOUR trailer, isn't this reason to take note? You had the right idea to park where your sight lines were good. But, what happened between the time you lined up your visual observation post, to when you returned to the parking lot to find your mower gone? Why bother to pack in a place where you can keep an eye on the trailer?

If you, the owner of the equipment with a vested interest, and with an observation point to keep an eye on the trailer, is not able to keep the mower from being removed from the trailer, why is there any room to start blaming the police officers?

Your fellow LCO who had "lots of equipment stolen," why is this so true? He seemed far too familiar with the pattern, and with a track record of having his OWN equipment stolen, is hardly a credible source of information. That is, unless, he has some other knowledge about the matter. There have been many threads posted on LS, and I don't recall many (if any?) that suggested, "... look in the woods." There are many other suggestions for attempting to get the equipment back, but "looking in the woods," I don't think so.

You also talked about "going back later to pick it up." I still don't understand that statement.

Maybe your story is true, and the way you have chosen to articulate it has led to false conclusions. I remain skeptical.

puppypaws
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
I would have had the cops hide in the bushes and catch that @#$@^#$.

Ha Ha, that is funny, you're lucky to get them out of their A/C cars. They could actually care less if he got the mower back or not, most of them are in that line of work because of ego, the feel of power over the general public and retirement with good benefits. Not all, but the largest majority are that way.

mbanks23
06-09-2008, 12:56 AM
roger, why are you so critical? I am done with you after this post. I stated what happened, chose to believe it or not. I dont care. Obviously you have never had anything of much value stolen from you. You dont know what to do what when it happens. it took a while to figure out what to do, i didnt do it in a matter of minutes. I had a mower without insurance so i finally decided to go buy another one moron. As far as someone suggesting thatt hey may stash it in the woods, i commend him for outsmarting the criminal. He did the cops job. Another thing, do you really think a criminal is gonna wait till i get inside and eating before he steals it, knowing that i will see him? no, he was watching me from the get go, just waiting for me to walk around the building and probably had someone else with him watching to make sure i was walking in. you know take it when they cant see you type thing, like most shoplifters do? Let me guess, criminals steal different in pa.

edited: name calling is not needed. thanks, jodi

dgfitz
06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
[QUOTE=mbanks23;2364428]roger, why are you so critical?

Read all his posts that you can, Roger is here to please Roger, not you.
In a way, I am glad this happened to you, you have hopefully learned a
valuable lesson, even more important, you taught us to be more careful,
and I like most appreciate your honesty.:nono:

MarcSmith
06-09-2008, 08:04 AM
o.k. smart guy, explain this since you are obviously a cop. why is it law to wear a seatbelt but not wear a helmet when on a motorcycle? another thing, i will not shut up. thats my first amendment right, until it gets taken away too. if it makes you wet your panties then maybe you shouldnt read my reply.

NO I'm not a cop...son of one, one that was willing work in the crappiest of weather, deal with the crappies of people, deal with some of the most ungrateful people, one that got shot at, one that has used his weapon in self defense, one that worked ungodly shifts, one that worked undercover, one that had his own house/family targeted and shot at. A cop who for 20+ years woke up every day, answered the late night calls, and would put his life on the line for people he'd never know.

If you want to be an organ donor and not wear your helmet. fine. I lived in a state with no helmet laws, but I still wore mine. ABATE, HOG and a few other groups are very vocal about helmet laws and have deep pockets. A seat belt helps keep you in the seat and behind the wheel the of a vehicle and hopefully in control of the vehicle.

As much as you seem to dislike cops, I'd bet money that if you called 911 and said you had an armed intruder in your house, the cops would come to your aid no questions asked.

Chances are, scine the criminal in question were able to remove a large piece of equipment in daylight and hide it, they would have known they were being watched and just passed on picking up the equipment.

So do I blame them for not wanting to stake out a lawn mower. NO. A crime did occur, but thankfully the property was recovered. Id much rather have them spend time helping the rape victim, or abuse victim or trying to nab the DUI...

Frontier-Lawn
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
do dwhat i do lock the gate on both sides with a chain and a huge lock

puppypaws
06-09-2008, 09:59 AM
NO I'm not a cop...son of one, one that was willing work in the crappiest of weather, deal with the crappies of people, deal with some of the most ungrateful people, one that got shot at, one that has used his weapon in self defense, one that worked ungodly shifts, one that worked undercover, one that had his own house/family targeted and shot at. A cop who for 20+ years woke up every day, answered the late night calls, and would put his life on the line for people he'd never know.

If you want to be an organ donor and not wear your helmet. fine. I lived in a state with no helmet laws, but I still wore mine. ABATE, HOG and a few other groups are very vocal about helmet laws and have deep pockets. A seat belt helps keep you in the seat and behind the wheel the of a vehicle and hopefully in control of the vehicle.

As much as you seem to dislike cops, I'd bet money that if you called 911 and said you had an armed intruder in your house, the cops would come to your aid no questions asked.

Chances are, scine the criminal in question were able to remove a large piece of equipment in daylight and hide it, they would have known they were being watched and just passed on picking up the equipment.

So do I blame them for not wanting to stake out a lawn mower. NO. A crime did occur, but thankfully the property was recovered. Id much rather have them spend time helping the rape victim, or abuse victim or trying to nab the DUI...

You will notice there is a tremendous amount of difference in the older generation cop and the new. I have friends on both sides of that line an you can believe there is a difference. My nephew is a NC highway patrol, 28 years old an loves his job. He prefers to work the night shift because he says that is when he gets to deal with the most idiots. I can tell talking with him, it is an adrenaline high, he loves the flashing lights, being able to run what ever speed he likes on the roads, foot chases and loves for someone to fight him because he is very big an in excellent shape.

He has made the statement, "the sheriff's boys want help us with anything unless it is a chase, all they want to do is run their cars fast every chance they get, they have a number of the unmarked Dodge Chargers that will fly. They run radar because they love the chase, but will ride by an wave if we have an accident to work, want even stop to help direct traffic".

They are not all alike, nobody is, but I have dealt with a good number just trying to make 8. The last incidence was when a Mexican came on my farm and dumped a pickup load of construction and personal trash. This "good old boy deputy" came to investigate. I had a Mexican with me an we found several pieces of mail with the man and his wife's name on them, I handed them to the deputy. The deputy said "what do you want me to do with this", I said, "I though you may go locate them an get this trash picked up". He left with all the evidence, after my Mexican friend told him he knew the girl an where they lived. The deputy called me 1 hr. later at home an said "I'm at a dead end and can't locate anyone", I said "son, I'm afraid you were at a dead end when you started".

The county sheriff is a personal friend of mine and I told him the story one day when we were talking. I said, "Eddie, if a deputy can't find someone when he has their name and address, how in the devil would he ever find a criminal". He said, "who was that deputy", and I told him I would not say because I actually thought he was a "good old boy" just a little dumb. The sheriff then told me to call him personally if I wanted anything else taken care of, I said, "Eddie, you are the sheriff and don't have time to fool with those insignificant situations". He said, "I signed on the dotted line for that exact reason, so you call me from now on".

That is the difference in the older generation and the new, the sheriff is a retired highway patrolman that takes his job seriously, just like your dad.

MarcSmith
06-09-2008, 11:15 AM
PP

just like any job, you have those that just want to put in a 8 or don't really care. there were cops like that during my dads time as well. They milked the clock, used every sick day they could, used the job as excuse to do the power trip...And today the younger cops, there are those who really care about the people they are willing to lay down their life for.

I guess I'm weird that I respect each and every cop as if they were my dad. Even the cops that are just "putting in 8" still have to work the crappy hours, deal with azzholes, low pay, and high risk. And also have to remember that you are not a cop for 8 hours a day. You are a cop 24 hours a day 7 days a week. You only get paid for the 40 hours each you worked.

BFLL
06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
After reading all these post about cops, makes me remember a time when I worked Lawn Care during the day and Security at night.

I was the only security over the Hilton Hotel and the Mall next door. one night the alarm went off in one of the restaurants, so I called the police, two cops show up.

One cop the BRAVE one walked over to the counter looked around the counter top hurried back outside and told me there was no one around, the second cop stayed outside next to his car didn't even offer to go in.

They had guns and were scared to death. lol

Roger
06-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Marc, we disagree on some things, but I wholeheartedly support your comments. My hat is off to your father for his position, and willingness to take the responsibility.

In reading some of the bashing comments, I get the message that some don't understand the difference between making the laws, and enforcing the laws (or, perhaps just prefer to ignore the difference). For example, you may not like the law requiring a helmet for motorcycles, and a police officer exercises his duty to write a citation for failure to comply. The police officer is only doing his/her job. If you don't like the law, he/she is not the culprit. He/she is not the one to direct hate and venom. He/she is not the author of the law.

Also, to those who suggest the police officers should be "fighting real crime." This is a commonly used phrase, but nobody wants to give it definition. Remember the police officers who are in patrol cars do not have the same responsibility as those who are given the task of detective, or criminal investigators. Usually the "face" of the police departments are the patrolling officers (as in the case of the stolen mower that started this thread). I would expect the first responders were patrolling officers. The fingerprint work may have been handled by others, I don't know.

Some on this thread have bashed the police for "not doing their job." While others say the police should be fighting "real crime." Is an investigation of stolen property a "real crime?"

Eakern & Dog
06-26-2008, 10:01 AM
Mbanks23..........consider yourself lucky that you got it back. In May, my whole truck, trailer with Z was stolen in a "good part of town "as well. There is an organized theft ring in the Atlanta area and nothing is being done about it even though the authorities know about it.Two of them in the rural counties have been found out in the last month. However,the one that is concentrated in the Buckhead area( City of Atlanta) remains elusive. I found my own truck by getting the addresses of the gas stations that my thieves used to charged my credit cards. The detective working my case was less than enthusiastic about checking the area when I called him with these addresses. I went out there on my own after 3 weeks and actually found my own truck abandoned at Bankhead Courts ( low- life area). I feel sure that my trailer and mower have been sold to several of the neighboring landscape corps that have shops near that area but there is very little that I can do at this point short of waltzing in their and asking to see their equipment. Furthermore, I spotted my sprayer on another LCO truck( crack head with a mower) that worked the area of the theft. I spoke to him to get a closer look and am 95% sure it is my sprayer since it has the same chews marks on the shaft and shoulder pad.I call my detective, leave a message and still get no call back.

At any rate, the theft in the ATL is rampant and what the police can do at the very least is set up a sting operation via "honey pot". They do it with the hookers and johns, why not stolen equipment rings ?

It's a shame that this happens. The hardest pill for me to swallow on this one is that I was doing a favor for an elderly friend when this happened and as the saying goes,,,,,,,,,,,No good Deed goes unpunished !

STIHL GUY
06-26-2008, 01:06 PM
at least you got it back. i would of found out who did it and kicked the crap out of them

Icepuck72
06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
j saunders, you are exactly right, cops are lazy, lazy. i did come back several times looking to see if anyone would come by but didnt close because the cops told me that they would stake out the area for the nite. they wanted it to stay there, then changed their minds because a diversion could take place, taking them off of it while the real theives came and got it.

I just love it how people generalize about other people. So you're saying all cops are lazy, right? That's like saying all LCO's are stupid for leaving mowers and trailers unlocked while they eat.

Give me a break.

Icepuck72
06-29-2008, 11:23 AM

I'm not a cop, but a Career firefighter, and you are truly showing your ignorance. I have to see on a daily basis what cops have to deal with. Quit watching TV shows for once and go do a ride along in a big city with a Police Dept or Sheriff's Office.

And oh BTW, what is "real crime" to you? Just curious.

TPendagast
07-06-2008, 10:30 PM
my take on the guy who said did you look in the woods is hes had it happen before.

If he was the one, or set it up why would he tell you about it?

Its pretty clear if a guy pulls up, unloads your machine onto his truck then there is color of truck, and possibl liscense plate to grab.

To anyone other than the owner of the mower, aguy walking up to a trailer, pulling the gate down, starting the mower and leaving doesnt look wierd it all, they think hes going to go use it.

Later he comes back to get it, someone asked why did you pull that out of the woods? Oh my trailer had a flat an I had to get it fixed, coulnt go down the road with the weight of the mahine on it so I had the stashit, or some other kids of similar excuse.

juspayme
07-07-2008, 02:16 AM
story sounds bad. really. but hey it may have happened.

buy enclosed. only way 2 go. get those hardend steel locks.

when i go on vacation my trailer is in a building with the tires off. i also park trucks in front of the doors.

have your mechanic put a kill switch undrneath the dash.

i dont take any chances.

lawnwizards
07-07-2008, 08:34 AM
I'm not a cop, but a Career firefighter, and you are truly showing your ignorance. I have to see on a daily basis what cops have to deal with. Quit watching TV shows for once and go do a ride along in a big city with a Police Dept or Sheriff's Office.

And oh BTW, what is "real crime" to you? Just curious.

or mr. know it all, why dont you come to my area and see how the cops work. oh i forgot, you already know because you think you are mr. big shot. why dont you shut the hell up about stuff you dont know about. and here you are calling me ignorant. the drugs are so bad here yet cops do absolutely nothing to stop it. they know the people involved and they know when they take the trips to florida but they turn a blind eye in favor of the easy work, "seatbelt checkpoints"

Roger
07-07-2008, 10:36 PM
... the drugs are so bad here yet cops do absolutely nothing to stop it. ...

One of the great things about the US is the opportunity for citizens to run for office. This sounds like your prime opportunity to run for elected office, implement the changes that you see as necessary to make change, and put things in order as you see fit. Let us know how your campaign goes.

puppypaws
07-07-2008, 11:47 PM
or mr. know it all, why dont you come to my area and see how the cops work. oh i forgot, you already know because you think you are mr. big shot. why dont you shut the hell up about stuff you dont know about. and here you are calling me ignorant. the drugs are so bad here yet cops do absolutely nothing to stop it. they know the people involved and they know when they take the trips to florida but they turn a blind eye in favor of the easy work, "seatbelt checkpoints"

I believe you my friend, calm down. I am affiliated with county politics and see a tremendous amount of corruption, so much the FBI is investigating several governing boards in my county at this time. County level politics is terribly corrupt, you then move into state politics which is even worse. Once you move into the federal government it is so far out of control, there are no words to describe how bad it actually is.

There is a large number of pretentious people in law enforcement, not all but a large number. They are on a ego trip and love to feel they have power over normal citizens. They enjoy the thrill of the chase and the adrenaline rush it brings to them, kinda like the rush a jet fighter pilot gets except on a lower grade.

I have a nephew that is a NC highway patrol officer, he has told me about corruption in their department, how the "good old boy" system is still in place with judges and DA's settling cases in the back room for their friends and attorneys.

I know federal parole officers that believe they are above the law and answer to no one, I have personally seen this take place.

My nephew complains constantly about the sheriff deputy's not wanting to assist with wrecks and traffic control but cruising up and down the roads running radar and writing speeding tickets. They love to drive fast and be immune to speeding tickets. My nephew actually pulled an off duty Charlotte, NC police officer driving 81 in a 55 mph speed zone, he asked to see his license and registration. The man said, "I am a police officer" and showed him his badge, my nephew asked him if he though that gave him the right to drive at a reckless speed while off duty. The fellow soft mouth a little and my nephew let him go. I told him that was not right and actually corrupt on his part, had it been anyone not in the law enforcement click, they would have been handcuffed and taken to jail for that speed.

There is corruption in everything controlled by city, county, state or federal government.

FinerCutslawnCare
07-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Good thing you found it!

jbpo
07-11-2008, 02:35 AM

Thank you for opening up the eyes of some of our members. I am a cop full time and I encourage all to come out and do a ride along. I will admit that there are some that should not be wearing a badge. Please support those that work hard to protect and serve people that they don't even know. Most people are not willing to do this.

juspayme
07-13-2008, 02:27 PM
how bout this, thin cops are workers, fat ones are lazy.

lets face it, if ur fat ur fat for a reason, it means that ur not real active.

lawnwizards
07-13-2008, 11:05 PM
I believe you my friend, calm down. I am affiliated with county politics and see a tremendous amount of corruption, so much the FBI is investigating several governing boards in my county at this time. County level politics is terribly corrupt, you then move into state politics which is even worse. Once you move into the federal government it is so far out of control, there are no words to describe how bad it actually is.

There is a large number of pretentious people in law enforcement, not all but a large number. They are on a ego trip and love to feel they have power over normal citizens. They enjoy the thrill of the chase and the adrenaline rush it brings to them, kinda like the rush a jet fighter pilot gets except on a lower grade.

I have a nephew that is a NC highway patrol officer, he has told me about corruption in their department, how the "good old boy" system is still in place with judges and DA's settling cases in the back room for their friends and attorneys.

I know federal parole officers that believe they are above the law and answer to no one, I have personally seen this take place.

My nephew complains constantly about the sheriff deputy's not wanting to assist with wrecks and traffic control but cruising up and down the roads running radar and writing speeding tickets. They love to drive fast and be immune to speeding tickets. My nephew actually pulled an off duty Charlotte, NC police officer driving 81 in a 55 mph speed zone, he asked to see his license and registration. The man said, "I am a police officer" and showed him his badge, my nephew asked him if he though that gave him the right to drive at a reckless speed while off duty. The fellow soft mouth a little and my nephew let him go. I told him that was not right and actually corrupt on his part, had it been anyone not in the law enforcement click, they would have been handcuffed and taken to jail for that speed.

There is corruption in everything controlled by city, county, state or federal government.
my comment wasnt directed at you. i apologize to anyone who might have taken offense to my post, i just get tired of seeing things go from bad to worse around here. i have 2 small children and i dont wanna see them grow up in a drug infested city.

puppypaws
07-13-2008, 11:59 PM
my comment wasnt directed at you. i apologize to anyone who might have taken offense to my post, i just get tired of seeing things go from bad to worse around here. i have 2 small children and i dont wanna see them grow up in a drug infested city.

I understand where you are coming from, and I did not feel you comment was directed towards me. I hate to tell you this my friend, especially with two small children you are raising, it is not going to get better crime wise, only worse with time. I see it everyday getting worse in the Charlotte, NC and surrounding area. The gangs are moving in to the point of being estimated at around 150 different ones in the area. They arrested 27 MS-13 gang members in the last couple of weeks in Charlotte. Robberies and killings get worse every year. The economy is going to escalate these crimes at a faster rate than normal.

Our church prayed tonight for a friend and church member robbed in a hospital parking deck in Charlotte yesterday. This country has been called the melting pot of the world for many years, the scum is coming to the top of this pot at a much faster rate than in the past.

countrycutter
07-19-2008, 12:27 AM
this is my first post on this site, and i have to agree with others when they say there alot of critics on here. i have never seen a sight where so many people think their opinions are the only valid ones to be had. to those people: the world does not evolve around you! who are you to say whats right and whats wrong? if the guy says that this happened to his equipment, i am sure it did. who would spend the time writing a post on this site just to watch himself type? he tries to warn others of a possible future problem and he gets bashed?!

and for those of you who have your typical views on law enforcement: i am also a full time police officer and your comments are like so many others we hear on a daily basis. just think about it, when do you deal with the police? its almost always when things are bad. we deal with people during their worst moments (both victims and suspects). we are constantly surrounded by a negative environment. i can tell you that although it is easy work, none of us like working seatbelt checkpoints or writting tickets as opposed to being proactive while patroling. would you go into someone elses home, by yourself, during a domestic knowing that your backup is ten minutes away / run into a store during an armed robbery so that you might save a clerks life / jump in the middle of a bar fight knowing that both subjects are probably going to turn on you when you do / tell people that their loved ones have just died in a crash / listen to people scream, yell, curse, and spit at you and smile while keeping your cool? i can tell you that the answer is no. yes the mower was taken and was only a short distance away. yes the officers might have found it if they would have walked all around the woods. but what you people dont think about is the fact that they might have had other calls holding or matters to deal with. you talk about our air conditioned vehicles but you dont think about us standing in the middle of a 5point intersection, in the middle of a summer with pants and a full vest on, directing traffic for three hours. the funniest part of the whole thing is that when s**t hits the fan you people that talk bad about us are the first ones to pick up the phone and call for our aid. if you dont like us so much the DONT CALL US next time something goes wrong in your life!

CoopersLandscaping
08-06-2008, 06:35 PM
I keep s Lock on my trailer.