PDA

View Full Version : 1st Lighting Install, please critique

101 Lawn Care
06-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Just wondering what the professionals think of this job.

101 Lawn Care
06-06-2008, 10:15 AM
still trying to get the pictures to work

NightScenes
06-06-2008, 10:18 AM
You may have to down size it to about 800x800 to upload it.

101 Lawn Care
06-06-2008, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the help

NightScenes
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
How honest do you want us to be on this?

101 Lawn Care
06-06-2008, 10:57 AM
As honest as you can you won't hurt my feelings. This is my home so I did not take anyones money for this. Some areas appear darker than they are in the pictures, because I have many trees in the front beds which obstruct some angles. It is actually brighter in person.

NightScenes
06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
OK, here's a start and I'm sure others will chime in. First I would back light some of those trees!! I would also down light that walkway from those trees instead of using all of those path lights. This will make the area not appear so dark as well. You need to more evenly light the home. This may require using something other than bullet lights, maybe some wash lights mixed with bullets. You need more focus on the entry to the home, this is where the lighting should have the most intensity. I can't even see where it is in these photos.

That will get you started. This is great that you are starting out on your own home because you can learn about all of the different lamps and beam spreads as well as the effects that you can get out of different fixtures. You also have a combination of rock and siding on this home which will show you what grazing will do on different textures. You have tall trees to allow for up and down lighting which can give you practice on your moonlighting techniques as well.

Good luck in your learning and try everything!!

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Ditto what paul said. I would definatly utilize thoes nice trees in front to my advantage in creating some depth.

I too had to look around for the front entrance which should be pretty obvious at first glance.

The middle of your photo seems to be the brightest. This needs to be tones down a bit and or the front door area made brighter. I would probably add a few fixtures to the home and remove the pathlights and swap them out for tree mounted fixtures but be sure where you mount the tree fixtures that you cannot see a glare or hot spot from the front side view.

Just some ideas. Im sure your lighting is much better than it was before you installed anything. Is the homeowner happy ?

zemzabob
06-06-2008, 11:19 AM
Ditto what paul said. I would definatly utilize thoes nice trees in front to my advantage in creating some depth.

I too had to look around for the front entrance which should be pretty obvious at first glance.

The middle of your photo seems to be the brightest. This needs to be tones down a bit and or the front door area made brighter. I would probably add a few fixtures to the home and remove the pathlights and swap them out for tree mounted fixtures but be sure where you mount the tree fixtures that you cannot see a glare or hot spot from the front side view.

Just some ideas. Im sure your lighting is much better than it was before you installed anything. Is the homeowner happy ?

He is the home owner.

101 Lawn Care
06-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Paul, when you say backlight the trees are you talking about using bullet lights. And are wash lights the same as well lights. I appreciate your time and honest comments. Thanks

JoeyD
06-06-2008, 12:32 PM
I think Paul would use Bullet lights to back light those trees. I would prefer a PAR36 spot light or well light to do the trees. Wash Lights he is reffering too would be a fixture more commonly reffered to as a flood light. Usually something that is in a rectangular shape that can cover a larger/wider beam pattern. Bullets will be more direct and create more of a spot effect.

Sorry Paul wasnt trying to answer your question for you.

I too think Pauls advice is correct. The entry should be the hottest/brightest point in your portrait. Everything else should help you direct vision to the front entry. Path lights can help with this but the lights you are using would be much better suited if they were closer in on the planter and not so hot and directed directly on the concrete. Use them to highlight foliage and let the fixtures beam fall onto the path if you will.

I too would recomend you do some down lighting from the trees to cover more area and give you a more appealing yard. Right now I would be afraid to walk through the yard, the boogey man could be hiding behind one of those trees.

Also do some more playing around with the placement of the lights on the house. The center light on the siding and the light on the far right on the stone look brighter to me then the rest. This may be just because of the way it is placed. Try and angle the fixture back a bit more and use more of the incidental light vs. the direct spot light effect.

Good Luck and Good Job! I have seen a lot worst first time designs! You just need a few more lights and a little more adjusting. Try some Frosted Lenses on those fixtures on the home as well. It will soften the beam and tone it down slightly. That white surface is highly reflective so it is going to produce a lot of ambiant light and will look brighter than the stone.

Pro-Scapes
06-06-2008, 05:30 PM
He is the home owner.

yeah I just noticed that so there shouldnt be any issue with some changes :)

I would definatly be sportin some unique quasar1's with 20w 60 degree in thoes trees.

Joey is right not bad for your first outing. I seen far worse by seasoned contractors.

Lite4
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Ditto to Paul, ditto to Joey. Those large trees in the foregroundwould just be way too dramatic to pass up.

zemzabob
06-06-2008, 06:28 PM
I did my own house to and would like to do a more professional job with better fixtures but I won't post the pic in this tread don't want to hijack, but I would like your advice as well I will make a post with a pic tonight. By the way you all are great! and I think you did a good job for having never done it before I can't say the same for my lighting job lol

101 Lawn Care
06-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I wanted to thank everyone for their advice. I am going to change some fixtures out and backlight the front trees, I will post pictures of the changes when I am done. Thanks again for all your help.

David Gretzmier
06-10-2008, 05:46 AM
Although it looks like you already are moving on to changes, i'll chime in- Your home has 4 clear "sections", and the three sections on the right need an uplight each based on the dark areas. i'd look at some puck lights on your posts/stairs to enhance entry. also you need an overhead/downlight at the door, possibly at line voltage. doing these things will create more ambient light to allow you to have safety without so many paths.

I'd keep a few paths or moon light as some have suggested. moonlighting is harder than paths to hide the source, so be ready for alot of movement to get that right. as far as uplighting the trees, I can't tell if they have nice branching or not. not to be offensive, but if your trees don't look good lit, don't light them, concentrate on the house.