PDA

View Full Version : fav tree lights

Mike M
06-06-2008, 07:51 PM
I like the cast & unique fixtures for downlighting, and sometimes can't decide which is better.

The Unique Lunar seems good for daytime concealment as well as bulb concealment from 360 degrees, and the Cast seems really nice for 180 degree view points and overhead.

Anyone have feedback on this?? I'm just learning from trial and error.

Lite4
06-06-2008, 09:00 PM
I have not used the cast, but I do really like the lunar. The deep recessed bulb has been great, even for angles over 30 degrees from vertical. A very well designed fixture IMHO.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-06-2008, 10:14 PM
The CAST Treelight has been my fav. for a long time.

I am working closely with Nightscaping to make the new JEMLiter my newest favourite for tree mounted downlighting. A couple of hiccups at the beginning but what newly launched product doesn't have a couple of growing pains? They seem to be able to keep up with my demand now which is good and we have the kinks ironed out some.

I haven't installed any of the Unique Lunar fixtures and the reason why is that darned ball mount knuckle / stem assembly. I am worried that it will not stand up to the abuse in terms of wind, weather, heat&cold, and physical impact when limbs move, fall, etc. I want something with a more positive method of positioning and attachment then a ball held into a socket by pressure alone. Has anyone found that the Lunar mount tends to allow the fixture to move off of aim over time?

Have a great day.

The Lighting Geek
06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
James, I have used the Lunar, Quasar 1, and Probe OSM, all of which use the same base with different length shrouds. I always cinch the collar with channel locks once I have the adjustment where I want it. The ball socket gives you infinite adjustment and the ability to zero in on your target. I have not had any problems and I have quite a few out the there.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-06-2008, 11:32 PM
As I recall, the Lunar and Quasar 1 are both open fixtures? Is that correct?

Open fixtures are problematic here... Insects, and nightly condensation cause big issues, especially when using LED lamps. Does Unique offer the ability to install a sealed lens in those fixtures? If so, is it glass or borosillicate or?? (warranty?) If a lens is available is it installed with Silicone or ??.

Thanks

Eden Lights
06-07-2008, 12:28 AM
HK ZX-16-C-A w/Hex Cell Louver, nothing else comes close for me.

The Lighting Geek
06-07-2008, 02:38 AM
As I recall, the Lunar and Quasar 1 are both open fixtures? Is that correct?

Open fixtures are problematic here... Insects, and nightly condensation cause big issues, especially when using LED lamps. Does Unique offer the ability to install a sealed lens in those fixtures? If so, is it glass or borosillicate or?? (warranty?) If a lens is available is it installed with Silicone or ??

The Lunar and Quasar1 are open fixtures but you can order them with a glass lens that is siliconed in at the factory.

Pro-Scapes
06-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Roger that Tommy... channel locks chinch that orbital mount down tight. I too was hessitant at first on it and when I started cranking em down I have had no issues. I did have a small limb fall during a wind storm the day after installation and it didnt move the fixture but did knock the lamp out of the socket.

The deep regress with the hex cell louver out front does wonders for hiding glare. I usually preffer the quasar 1. Still plenty of glare control but slightly wider photometrics. We just mounted 10 about 40 ft up and you cant see them unless your directly under them looking up into it.

If you wanted to seal it up James you could just silicone the blue or lens of choice in just behind the hex louver.Im guessing since you put so much time and energy into your jem thing you wouldnt be using this anyways.

MG has a pretty radical sealed downlight too which uses a single point mount and features a 360 deg telescoping shroud.

Mike M
06-08-2008, 11:21 AM
J I always cinch the collar with channel locks once I have the adjustment where I want it.

Tom and Billy, thanks for the tip, I didn't even think of the channels, and I was having problems with slippage as James was concerned.

I will look into the fixture Eddie mentioned. I hope it's affordable, he is the glare-free fixture maniac. No good if aluminum, though.

I like the open style of Unique's; a lot of high temp & high humidity & condensation issues here.

A lot of talk about lubricating seals to keep rain out, but what about the moist air being pumped in and out when these little ovens get hot and than cool every night?

Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-08-2008, 10:45 PM
Mike, if you have high humidity and condensation issues then the last thing on earth you want is an open fixture. An open fixture in those conditions is going to result in oxidized sockets, lead wires, and other internal components. Even the pins on the lamps will end up failing as the moisture penetrates into the lamp base / ceramic and causes the lamp to fail.

What you want is a totally enclosed fixture, ideally IP66 or IP68 rated. By using fully sealed and enclosed fixtures you will stop the airflow into the fixture which carries the moisture that then condenses and causes the problems.

Making a properly sealed fixture for tree mounted downlighting is not as easy as it sounds though as many I have tried in this application failed miserably. I have had good success with the Lumiere 203 (other issues stopped me from using it), the CAST Treelight CCTL1C, and the Nightscaping JEMLiter. I haven't tried the HK line yet as they have not been available to me here (yet). Vision3 also has some promising looking fixtures for this application. Hunza too. I understand your hesitation to mount aluminum fixtures given your proximity to the ocean and salt air etc, and I have no real experience in such conditions, but I would think that some of the spec. grade aluminum product (Vision3 and HK) would stand up just fine... OR just go with the Nightscaping JEMliter or the CAST Treelight and be done with any concerns about all this!

I have not seen the quality of components or fit and finish that Unique uses when they custom enclose their fixtures... I would be wary of plain glass lenses siliconed in place because if any moisture does enter the fixture through the body or lead wires that go out the stem, then you will have an issue with that glass lens shattering as the heat from the lamp boils the water sitting on the inside of the lens. I have seen this first hand many times with other fixtures. Stick with those that are designed and built to keep the moisture and condensation out.

Various Vista, Kichler, Hadco and BK fixtures all have moisture ingress issues when mounted as a downlight in trees, each with its own specific limitations.

After a decade of mounting thousands upon thousands of lights in trees, I have learned a thing or two about this application. If you want to discuss any one particular fixture with me don't hesitate to PM me.

Have a great day.

JoeyD
06-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Our lights can be fitted with a siliconed lens if requested. The fixtures are sealed for the most part from water getting in through the knuckle. We leave the lens out for glare purposes. A glass lens no matter how deep a lamp in the shroud causes reflection and in turn causes glare.

As for moisture gettting in. As you guys know we use Copper Beryllium sockets that are greased so very little chance of corrosion. Matter of fact out of the returns we have had I dont think any have come back do to socket failure. The orbital ball joint works very well, a spanner wrench or channel locks will allow you to crank that nut down really tight.

You have to try the Lunar and Quasar 1 out for yourselves. They are very nice looking and performing fixtures!

If anyone has questions let me know.

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/LUNAR.htm

http://www.uniquelighting.com/product_pages/QUASAR1.htm

pihta
06-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Joey, what is the p/n suffix for Lunar and Quasar with siliconed lens?

JoeyD
06-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Correction! If you want to order the Lunar or Quasar 1 with siliconed lens you will add an S to the end of the part number and in the description you will make note of the Siliconed Lens.