PDA

View Full Version : Amateur Troubleshooting

lawnspecialties
06-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I have approximately 15 high-end residential accounts that I do their full-service lawn maintenance. One of the services I try to help them with is assistance with their irrigation system. Start-up, winterization, programming, head and nozzle replacement, and other "light" stuff.

I have one long time customer with a Toro system approximately 5-7 years old. We just recently decided to start the system for the year since Raleigh's had some great rainfall totals this spring, but we're coming off last year's big drought.

I have the valve opened at the meter, the backflow is installed correctly, the controller seems to be working fine, but no water is flowing. I try to run it manually and although the controller says we should be seeing water flowing like crazy, nothing's coming from the heads. The water meter shows no activity at all. They have a rain sensor on the roof but it hasn't rained in over a week and it's been in the high 90's several days now.

What am I missing? If it's something "big", we'll call the company that installed the system. But if it's just something I could easily handle but just missed, then I'm ready to learn something new.

irritation
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Wires are cut, probably to the rain sensor.

BrandonV
06-06-2008, 09:31 PM
is there a master valve? maybe its not working or the clock is not setup to run w/ a master valve? Open a valve manually on any zone, if water comes out if might be as simple as the clock not working (wouldn't surprise me if its a toro)

irritation
06-06-2008, 10:09 PM
Wires are cut, probably to the rain sensor.

More than likely one of these caused it.:laugh:
RedMax
Shindaiwa
Stihl
Kawasaki

Waterit
06-07-2008, 12:43 AM
I have the valve opened at the meter, the backflow is installed correctly, the controller seems to be working fine, but no water is flowing.
But if it's just something I could easily handle but just missed, then I'm ready to learn something new.Thanks:)

Are the valves on BOTH sides of the meter open?

AI Inc
06-07-2008, 05:01 AM
Try opening a valva manualy, if the heads come up its an electrical problem, if they dont , its a water problem ( as in the backflow isnt turned on or only 1 valve is open)

Wet_Boots
06-07-2008, 08:55 AM
Definitely the blinker fluid.

AI Inc
06-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Definitely the blinker fluid.

Better get out the board stretcher

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 05:12 AM
Check the thingamajig.

lawnspecialties
06-08-2008, 10:25 AM
I went by there this morning with some hose-end sprinklers to get them by. It's gonna' be 102 today after 100 yesterday and 100 tommorow.

But I thought I'd try checking things once more. Water at the meter, backflow correct, and I then opened a valve manually. Water started flowing in zone 4 perfectly. I'm now thinking electrical.

The homeowner starts mentioning how she had the gutters cleaned in April and the guy had mentioned something about a "sensor". They have a step ladder just barely high enough for me to stand on the top rung and be eye level with the sensor. All the wires and connections look fine but I see it's set at 1/8". I turn it to 1/2" and then manually try the controller and water starts flowing like crazy.

It's been set at 1/8" since it was installed I guess. But for some reason, I guess the morning dew or something kept it from running this year. Oh well, another lesson learned.

Thanks for everyone's tips. :)

DanaMac
06-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Good deal. Definitely went out of your way on a Sunday.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 10:45 AM
I went by there this morning with some hose-end sprinklers to get them by. It's gonna' be 102 today after 100 yesterday and 100 tommorow.

But I thought I'd try checking things once more. Water at the meter, backflow correct, and I then opened a valve manually. Water started flowing in zone 4 perfectly. I'm now thinking electrical.

The homeowner starts mentioning how she had the gutters cleaned in April and the guy had mentioned something about a "sensor". They have a step ladder just barely high enough for me to stand on the top rung and be eye level with the sensor. All the wires and connections look fine but I see it's set at 1/8". I turn it to 1/2" and then manually try the controller and water starts flowing like crazy.

It's been set at 1/8" since it was installed I guess. But for some reason, I guess the morning dew or something kept it from running this year. Oh well, another lesson learned.

Thanks for everyone's tips. :)

Once a senser gets to be 3-4 yrs old , It will keep the system from running when set to 1/8" The cork has expanded and contracted too much and it stays swelled. You can buy the cork for about $6-8 .Sell em for 17.95-21.95

lawnspecialties
06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Once a senser gets to be 3-4 yrs old , It will keep the system from running when set to 1/8" The cork has expanded and contracted too much and it stays swelled. You can buy the cork for about $6-8 .Sell em for 17.95-21.95

Thanks for that info.

All the houses were done by the same irrigation company. If anyone else has this problem, I'll know exactly what to check first.

TPendagast
06-08-2008, 06:17 PM
when trying to run your clock, turn off the sensor, it's a switch marked 'sensor'.
you could have also had a bad solenoid which woul have made your system operate that way (but not on every valve) also could have been a bad clock or transformer.

lawnspecialties
06-08-2008, 06:18 PM
when trying to run your clock, turn off the sensor, it's a switch marked 'sensor'.
you could have also had a bad solenoid which woul have made your system operate that way (but not on every valve) also could have been a bad clock or transformer.

It's an old Toro Turf Pro 6 I believe. It has no sensor bypass.

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 07:17 PM

Dump the clock. Sounds like a Home Depot piece of junk.

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Once a senser gets to be 3-4 yrs old , It will keep the system from running when set to 1/8" The cork has expanded and contracted too much and it stays swelled. You can buy the cork for about $6-8 .Sell em for 17.95-21.95(at least he didn't spell it 'censer')

Mdirrigation
06-08-2008, 10:12 PM

Thats actually a very good controller , and yes there is a sensor bypass

open the box , its upper right .

Do the irrigation companies in your area , cut grass?

Mike Leary
06-09-2008, 02:31 PM
(at least he didn't spell it 'censer')

A earlier version is still in use out west.

lawnspecialties
06-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Thats actually a very good controller , and yes there is a sensor bypass

open the box , its upper right .

Some do. You see irrigation only, irrigation and landscaping, and also irrigation, landscaping, and maintenance.

Why do you ask?

Mdirrigation
06-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Do the irrigation companies in your area , cut grass?[/QUOTE]

Some do. You see irrigation only, irrigation and landscaping, and also irrigation, landscaping, and maintenance.

Why do you ask

Since things are slowing a bit , I was debating on picking up 2 ZTR s and 3 walk behinds and doing the maintenance . Have the customer base , most of my customers told me they would go with us in a heart beat , since it is a bit late in the season I only want to pick up around 80 to cut to start .

Mike Leary
06-09-2008, 09:49 PM
[QUOTE=Mdirrigation;2365819]I only want to pick up

Hey, I was young once, I understand.

hoskm01
06-09-2008, 10:41 PM

Why do you ask

Since things are slowing a bit , I was debating on picking up 2 ZTR s and 3 walk behinds and doing the maintenance . Have the customer base , most of my customers told me they would go with us in a heart beat , since it is a bit late in the season I only want to pick up around 80 to cut to start .[/QUOTE]
Yeah, wow, June is pretty late in the season! OMG!