PDA

View Full Version : What is eating my grass? Anyone ? :)

cej93
06-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Can anyone give me a clue as to what is eating my St Augustine and what to put on it to stop them from eating it? I sprayed some Spectracide Triacizide last week but have some new spots where something has been eating. I mixed the correct amount but have to wonder if I screwed it up on the application. Any thoughts or advice on whether the Spectracide Triacizide is worth using or if I should be looking at trying to get something else would be greatly appreciated.

I know these pictures aren't the greatest and I will attempt to get some more that give a better overall picture of what the entire yard looks like.

I posted this same post in the homeowners section but didn't get any bites so thought I'd try here and see if anyone may be able to help me out.

I have attached pictures in the the link below in the homeowners forum.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=233921

Thanks again,
Eric :usflag:

RAlmaroad
06-07-2008, 07:47 AM
Can anyone give me a clue as to what is eating my St Augustine and what to put on it to stop them from eating it? I sprayed some Spectracide Triacizide last week but have some new spots where something has been eating. I mixed the correct amount but have to wonder if I screwed it up on the application. Any thoughts or advice on whether the Spectracide Triacizide is worth using or if I should be looking at trying to get something else would be greatly appreciated.

I know these pictures aren't the greatest and I will attempt to get some more that give a better overall picture of what the entire yard looks like.

I posted this same post in the homeowners section but didn't get any bites so thought I'd try here and see if anyone may be able to help me out.

I have attached pictures in the the link below in the homeowners forum.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=233921

Thanks again,

Eric: I can't say for sure, but look like a fungas more than something eating on. Could be Clinch bugs. Does it look like the leaves are being chewed? Or Does the leaves pull out very easily from the stem. Pick a stolen where three leaves come come together and pull the middle one. Does it slide out or does it break? If it pulls and is sorta slimmy; you could have brown patch.
If fungas is the problem that Spectricide is worthless....it that anyway.
Do yourself a favor and before things get to far, get a professional out there from the County Extention Office to help decide the problem. We have several guys here from FL. Maybe one of them is close bye. Tell them your town?

Greg Amann
06-07-2008, 07:54 AM
Looks like drought stress to me. We are in central Florida and with little to no rain, spot like that and worse are showing up all over.
Below is the directs we are leaving with our customers to help them alleviate the problem on their yard.

Beware of Drought Conditions

Dear Customer,
As in past years, we are experiencing drought conditions. One of the conditions associated with this is hydrophobic soil. This means the soil is water-repellent.
This happens when we go long periods with no rain, which is needed, for good thorough saturation. A way to alleviate this problem is to apply either:

Localized Areas Large Areas

1 oz. 1 pound
liquid dish soap dry laundry powder (non-bleach)
per 1 gallon of H2O per 1,000 sq. feet
*Water in thoroughly to activate.

Try applying soap on an as needed basis or about once a week during drought. If your yard is compact in areas, this problem shows up more prevalent.

Other problems seen with this are marginal response to fertilizer. It takes water for plants to uptake fertilizer. Where the ground is absorbing water readily, fertilizer response is very good. Where the ground has become hydrophobic (water-repellent) fertilizer is not taken up readily. This leaves blotches of yellow dry turf within green healthy areas.

cej93
06-07-2008, 08:53 AM
So to make sure I have this straight; I would mix 1 oz of liquid dish soap with 1 lb of dry laundry soap and 1 gallon of water all together and then spread it over the yard ? What is the best method of spreading this mixture?

Thanks for the replies.

Greg Amann
06-07-2008, 09:08 AM
No you don't mix the two.

You can either mix 1 oz. of liquid dish detergent in 1 gallon of water and pour over the localized areas. Then run the irrigation or hand water behind it.
Or
Sprinkle dry laundry powder (non bleach-non phosphate) out at a rate of approximately 1 lb. per 1,000 sq. ft. to large areas, followed by a normal cycle from the irrigation.

I will edit the post above. When I copied and pasted it from my word doc it shuffled the info.

I couldn't edit it.

If the moderator can remove it to prevent anymore confusion I would appreciate it. Sorry for the inconvenience

cej93
06-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the update and I am glad I asked; I will give that a shot and see what happens. It's frustrating to say the least to have a mostly nice looking yard and then have this big spot creep up on me.

ABeautifulCutAboveInc.
06-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes, your right Greg. That is drought stress. I live in central FL also. It's everywhere right now. Truthfully, when we experience conditions like this, it's almost impossible to get every area covered with the irrigation system. It's not your fault, just terribly dry conditions.

cej93
06-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Well, my lawn smelled like green apple dawn dish soap for a while until it was watered in good. We'll see what happens. Any idea how long it should take to see a difference in things?

Thanks again for all of the help; it's greatly appreciated.

Take Care,

Greg Amann
06-07-2008, 10:20 PM
If the grass still looks like the pictures and you ran the irrigation behind it for approx. 3/4 of an inch you will see results in the next day or two.

My yard smelled like Summer Breeze Extra on Weds. night when I put mine out.

Ric
06-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Yo

Sam's Club has 0ne Gallon Pink Dish Soap for $ 3.97 a gallon. At this price I am applying about 3 oz per thousand sq ft or a gallon an acre.

BocaChris
06-08-2008, 12:50 AM
Looks likes drought stress to me too, have them all over the place here. Water twice a week here and no rain. We couldnt even buy rain right now. Stupid part is we can hand water with a hose but no irrigation. Out here the water department drives around on golf carts so you never know where they are.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2008, 01:37 AM
Yo

Sam's Club has 0ne Gallon Pink Dish Soap for $ 3.97 a gallon. At this price I am applying about 3 oz per thousand sq ft or a gallon an acre.

How frequently do you do this?

Grits
06-08-2008, 01:45 AM
A few of my yards are showing signs. They run the irrigation but you can tell where the sprinklers don't have good coverage.

Hissing Cobra
06-08-2008, 01:46 AM

Thanks again,

Not to sound like a chemical nazi, but I'm concerned that the Spectracide Triacizide was used for something that just turned out to be drought stress. This is not only ridiculous but it's actually against the law and damaging to the environment. I'm sure a lot of beneficial insects were killed needlessly.:nono:

Grits
06-08-2008, 01:50 AM
Not to sound like a chemical nazi, but I'm concerned that the Spectracide Triacizide was used for something that just turned out to be drought stress. This is not only ridiculous but it's actually against the law and damaging to the environment. I'm sure a lot of beneficial insects were killed needlessly.:nono:

Chill-out Hissing Cobra (:laugh:). He is a homeowner trying to solve a problem. Not everyone knows the steps to take to identify problems.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2008, 01:50 AM

I suppose you disapprove of huffing spray paint in a bag, too, right?

J/K :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hogjaw
06-08-2008, 01:52 AM
Looks like drought stress to me. We are in central Florida and with little to no rain, spot like that and worse are showing up all over.
Below is the directs we are leaving with our customers to help them alleviate the problem on their yard.

Beware of Drought Conditions

Dear Customer,
As in past years, we are experiencing drought conditions. One of the conditions associated with this is hydrophobic soil. This means the soil is water-repellent.
This happens when we go long periods with no rain, which is needed, for good thorough saturation. A way to alleviate this problem is to apply either:

Localized Areas Large Areas

1 oz. 1 pound
liquid dish soap dry laundry powder (non-bleach)
per 1 gallon of H2O per 1,000 sq. feet
*Water in thoroughly to activate.

Try applying soap on an as needed basis or about once a week during drought. If your yard is compact in areas, this problem shows up more prevalent.

Other problems seen with this are marginal response to fertilizer. It takes water for plants to uptake fertilizer. Where the ground is absorbing water readily, fertilizer response is very good. Where the ground has become hydrophobic (water-repellent) fertilizer is not taken up readily. This leaves blotches of yellow dry turf within green healthy areas.

This is experience speaking. Greg and I have pm'd each other previously. However, had not seen any of his posts. He was just sitting there, watching our threads come and go...........then, finally, he could not be restrained any longer.

I thank you for your presence with this group and for sharing the information.

If truth be none, Florida is not the only state with areas compacted. We have a lot of areas in our small town, Marked Tree, A. I have two lawns that I can show you with this same condition........we've had considerable rain this spring, grass was just coming out, applied fert, rain cut off, to be followed by extemely high temps and 30 mph south and westerly winds.......certain areas of the lawn are just sitting there, doing nothing.

Again, thanks Greg for the post.

Will try and let you know results.

Ric
06-08-2008, 10:32 AM
How frequently do you do this?

Whoopass

At the price of this soap I use it year round as a surfactant in every tank mix. Sure it foams up in the tank, but it isn't a problem.

For drought stressed areas two quick fixes, after adjusting irrigation, are soap to break surface tension as Greg explained and top dressing stressed areas with organic matter to hold water. Here in Florida the value of aeration and top dressing are overlooked.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-08-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks, Ric. As always, good info!