PDA

View Full Version : Check out this story

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Ill make this quick...

company I work for a few years back installed a 50 K system
serious landscape, 200K in plantings easy...

The well guy put in a well didn't test the H20 before giving the water boys the Nod to let A fly....

So the sprinkler guys let it fly a few weeks later the whole landscape died..
No one could figure it out...the water was there, to bad it was Salt Water.....

PWNT!!!!!

lawyers are involved people are still getting called....

rule of thumb make sure that water gets tested...

Mike Leary
06-07-2008, 03:16 PM
rule of thumb make sure that water gets tested...

Or tasted. :laugh: Seriously, salt water intrusion is becoming very common
out here. We had a client who had more money than sense, went down deep
against the drillers advice, he hit water, lots....all salt. :cry:

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-07-2008, 03:17 PM
Or tasted. :laugh: Seriously, salt water intrusion is becoming very common
out here. We had a client who had more money than sense, went down deep
against the drillers advice, he hit water, lots....all salt. :cry:

ouch

thats rough

talk about a porkin

AI Inc
06-07-2008, 03:19 PM
Funny I did a job for a guy a few yrs back. Super rich house had over $250 k in windows.
So much money he buy almost anything . The one thing he couldnt buy was more then 4 gpm to run the whole house and Irrigation

zemzabob
06-07-2008, 03:19 PM
So needless to say it was a bad day for him.

Mike Leary
06-07-2008, 03:21 PM
ouch

thats rough

talk about a porkin

The beauty of it was he was a dork.

EagleLandscape
06-07-2008, 06:12 PM
My dad had a system a few years ago that he designed. (just designed and didnt isntall) and the well guy was pumping out water at like 130-140 degrees or something crazy like that. Some huge school, ball fields, etc. Melted all of the pvc in the ground. Ditches were already covered up.

WalkGood
06-07-2008, 06:20 PM
My dad had a system a few years ago that he designed. (just designed and didnt isntall) and the well guy was pumping out water at like 130-140 degrees or something crazy like that. Some huge school, ball fields, etc. Melted all of the pvc in the ground. Ditches were already covered up.

Where do you get heated water from the ground in your area? Did he tap into a nuclear plants "cooling" water?

Forget using it for irrigation, use it to heat the house in Winter and make hot water year round!

EagleLandscape
06-07-2008, 06:30 PM
People use it all the time on these green built houses. Look up geothermal heating of homes or something like that.

I considered that as a heating option for my house, but decided against it since it's relatively new.

Then again, it only costs me $200 / yr to heat my house:):)

DanaMac
06-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Damn, close to that in a month here in the winter. But I bet your A/C kicks up the utilities in the summer doesn't it?

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-07-2008, 06:43 PM
People use it all the time on these green built houses. Look up geothermal heating of homes or something like that.

I considered that as a heating option for my house, but decided against it since it's relatively new.

I serviced 1 of those old accounts..Geo thermal heated....we had to get a cooling system for the sprinks and house water...

The woman raved about it though...

AI Inc
06-07-2008, 09:22 PM

Its not relativly new. It is enjoying a resurgance. I built a house down the cape in the early 80,s that had it.
The last energy crisis.

WalkGood
06-07-2008, 10:12 PM

Relative to what?? Using fire????

Geothermal heating of homes has been around a long time. Primitive use for heating done back 10,000 years go. An "engineered" use for heating homes more than 100 years ago.

http://www1.eere.energy.gov/geothermal/printable_versions/history.html

EagleLandscape
06-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Damn, close to that in a month here in the winter. But I bet your A/C kicks up the utilities in the summer doesn't it?

Nope, high SEER value and best of the best insulation.

36k for the hvac on the house, and 13k for the insulation, radiant barrier (LP techshield). Tyvek home wrap, low E windows.

It's like a giant styrofoam cooler. Nothing comes in, nothing goes out.

EagleLandscape
06-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Its not relativly new. It is enjoying a resurgance. I built a house down the cape in the early 80,s that had it.
The last energy crisis.

I'm a young pup, and have no idea what time talking about. (only 23). I just figured it was new with all of the going green crap thats going on*trucewhiteflag*. My bad.

hoskm01
06-08-2008, 01:34 AM
Nope, high SEER value and best of the best insulation.

36k for the hvac on the house, and 13k for the insulation, radiant barrier (LP techshield). Tyvek home wrap, low E windows.

It's like a giant styrofoam cooler. Nothing comes in, nothing goes out.
Your casa should breathe a bit you know. Going super tight isnt always the best.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:53 AM
Your casa should breathe a bit you know. Going super tight isnt always the best.

Another thing found out 5 yrs after the last energy crisis.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 05:14 AM

I was going to toss this in as well John. Crack those windows on a nice day please.

WalkGood
06-08-2008, 11:37 AM

Building tight isn't bad if they were smart enough to add an HRV system.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Batt insulation>tyveck is the way to keep the house's breatheable up here

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Batt insulation>tyveck is the way to keep the house's breatheable up hereThere are some new materials being developed. Look up Mem-Brain. Wasn't there a time when a 'this old house' show would have impervious poly vapor barriers on interior walls?

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-08-2008, 11:55 AM
There are some new materials being developed. Look up Mem-Brain. Wasn't there a time when a 'this old house' show would have impervious poly vapor barriers on interior walls?

I have installed those

junk.

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I have installed those

junk.Installed which? Polyethylene vapor barrier? Or the polyamide that MemBrain is made of?

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Installed which? Polyethylene vapor barrier? Or the polyamide that MemBrain is made of?

the plastic vapor barrier...

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 12:26 PM
the plastic vapor barrier...Thanks for narrowing it down :hammerhead:

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Thanks for narrowing it down :hammerhead:

all we called it was plastic poly..

also ive done the foam stuff too..it got stuck in my eye once

irrig8r
06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
I had a client about 10 years ago in the Santa Cruz Mountains who had always used a shared well (off her property used by three neighbors) for potable water but had another older well she used just for irrigation.

She'd never had a spray system before, but was tired of drip irrigation maintenance. So we installed a Hunter ICC and 12 valves and spray heads throughout.

Bad idea.

Turned out there was boron in the water in sufficient quantities to be toxic to a lot of her perennial plants when sprayed onto the leaves (not a problem when applied just to the soil).

Ended up switching out some for bubblers and changing out areas for plants that were not as sensitive. I think iron and sulfur were present too.

Anyway, her assuming things about her water quality, and me not having any idea about it cost her a lot extra... though she was a good customer and I gave her a deal...

WalkGood
06-08-2008, 03:24 PM
Batt insulation>tyveck is the way to keep the house's breatheable up here

Batt insulation made of fibeglass is really NOT the way to go any more.

Sprayed on foam is the best thing now. Cellulose is the close 2nd best.

Sorry, no time at this point to go find supporting links.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Batt insulation made of fibeglass is really NOT the way to go any more.

Sprayed on foam is the best thing now. Cellulose is the close 2nd best.

Sorry, no time at this point to go find supporting links.

batts are good..

if i were to have my house done it would be foam..