PDA

View Full Version : Front Yard Redo

menges21
06-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Did the design and install on this project today took me and another guy 8 hours. Installed zebra grass, black eyed susans, dianthus, lilly of the valley and some begonias, three yards black dyed mulch and re-seeded

PerfectEarth
06-07-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh my...........

doubleedge
06-08-2008, 12:34 AM
Looks good.

bobcatnj
06-08-2008, 09:45 AM
oh my.... hahahaha yea i hear that

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-08-2008, 12:34 PM
That's what I'm talkin about. Makin a customers yard look better. Looks better!!!!!!

menges21
06-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Thanks it was my first time doing a dry stacked wall and the stone was from the existing walkway they had it wasnt as flat as i would have like. Also I would have changed the plants up and put in a jap maple but they are an elderly couple and dont want to bother with any leaves.

J & M Lawn Care
06-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Did the design and install on this project today took me and another guy 8 hours. Installed zebra grass, black eyed susans, dianthus, lilly of the valley and some begonias, three yards black dyed mulch and re-seeded

did you take all the grass out before you put the mulch down. Or did you leave the grass in there and put a hermincide down to kill the grass and then mulch on top

menges21
06-08-2008, 01:26 PM
Had my guy weed all the beds and the section where I layed the new seed, ended up taking a truck load of junk away

PerfectEarth
06-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Can I give you a bit of advice? Ok good. NEVER plant annuals like that. That is a typical homeowner display- like when they dot a bunch in among their foundation landscape. It's much better to "group" annuals in a swath or dedicated bed or area- with the purpose of drawing the eye to the particular area. Just planting a big row of flowers does nothing for a landscape- especially if it follows thew exact same flow of your wall.

The mulch looks sloppy- stepped in and lumpy. Black is bad, IMO- it just adds to the darkness of that front porch area.

As far as the plantings go and the "design" work- you just randomly dotted a bunch of tiny plants with no purpose or flow. It's almost as if you tossed them out into the bed (like daffodil bulbs) and planted where they landed. The bed needs a little height. Also, what it is gonna look like in the winter?? Just some thoughts. I know you were on a tight budget, but....

menges21
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
I agree with you on the plantings I would have liked to put more plants in but the home owner only wanted to spend about 150 on the job for plants so I tried to give him as much as I could. And I completely agree about the winter I would have liked to put in a cypress or something else that would have some foliage on it in the winter but it would have cost to much and not allowed me to plant much more. This is my second design job that I have ever done I will post some pics of my first one I did back in high school when I had an unlimited budget on the plants.

menges21
06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Here are some pics of my first install I ever did solo the hardscaping was done by the owners workers at this civil engineering company

THEGOLDPRO
06-08-2008, 06:38 PM
oh my.... is right lol

tls22
06-09-2008, 05:18 PM
Nice work man...im out of holmdel also....i have the 3 red trucks running around!

Sorry just look at ur name......whats up bud?

menges21
06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
hey tim what goin on how you holding up in this nice heat wave we've been having