PDA

View Full Version : Side Discharging with a Toro, JD or Honda 21"

joed
12-30-2001, 12:40 PM
It seems like there will be some strict restrictions regarding the pick up of grass clippings in 2002. Many of our municipal governments are moving to stop the pick up of grass clippings in 2002. This leaves me in a bind. I usually mulch from mid-June to October and bag in May/early June and on final cuts for the year. I have tried mulching in the spring but both my John Deere JX85 and Toro 21" Proline leave a mess. This brings me to my question. For those of you who use the either the Toro Proline or JD JX85, does the side-discharge chute work well. My plan is to put doubles on the Toro and look to see if the side discharge works, same with the Deere. What do you all think or should I look at getting a dedicated side-discharge unit like a Lawn Boy or Honda 216 equipped with a quadra-cut blades? Also, does side-discharging leave a mess

bob
12-30-2001, 01:02 PM
I have a JD 14SB, almost the same as your JX85. I also noticed that while it mulches the grass well, the quailty of the cut isn't real good. I use my machine on only 3 lawns for trimming. The properties are comercial ones with dumpsters, (the clippings go in their dumpsters) so I bag all three and with the bagger the quality of the cut is a lot better than mulching. I have a side discharge, but don't use it. With the side discharge the cut quaity is good, but the clippings left behind are worse than mulching. Double blades on a 21 mower might be stressfull on the engine.

johnnywalker
12-30-2001, 02:44 PM
The chutes for the Toro's & any other rear bagging 21" are terrible (clumping, messy discharge). Use a LB with desig. chute for clean discharge.
Doubles will make discharge worse on a Toro 21". Use only for leaf mulching.

GLS
12-30-2001, 04:35 PM
I have the JX75, same but not considered commercial (doesn't have steel wheels and reinforced height adjusters). They gave me the side discharge chute for free (only like $10) because they only had the floor model in stock when I bought it. I usually bag with it, but occasionally I side discharge and I think it works great. The chute has a big opening and doesn't clog. I'll go take a picture of it...

GLS
12-30-2001, 04:58 PM
Here's some pictures of it:
http://members.home.net/gall-lawncare/chute1.JPG
http://members.home.net/gall-lawncare/chute2.JPG
http://members.home.net/gall-lawncare/chute3.JPG
http://members.home.net/gall-lawncare/chute4.JPG

joed
12-30-2001, 06:31 PM
Thanks guys for the input, especially your Oryan. Those are some great pictures you took. When you side-discharge with the JX75, did the clippings leave a mess?

GLS
12-30-2001, 06:45 PM
It really depends on the height of the grass. If it is fairly tall, yes it will make a mess...that's why I usually bag it. I would buy the mulch kit for it, but I have heard that it doesn't work very well with this mower. I might buy one this summer to try it out though.

If the grass isn't too tall/thick, it should look fine. Since the chute is only $10, I would go to the dealer and buy it, see how you like it.

johnnywalker
12-30-2001, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by 0ryan0

If the grass isn't too tall/thick, it should look fine.

Joe this is why you should go with the LB. Same area as you & we discharge spring growth with little difficulty. Take off the metal bar under the side chute & you get clean discharge in demanding conditions.

keifer
12-30-2001, 11:28 PM
walker did i miss something or just stupid whats a LB.

GLS
12-31-2001, 12:06 AM
LB= Lawn Boy

keifer
12-31-2001, 05:33 PM
Thanks. A buddy of mine has and loves lawnboy but swears that the poland pro he has mulches better than anything. I have the honda its ok but nothing to write home about.

vipermanz
12-31-2001, 07:40 PM
the only thing the toe plate does is help stop scalping if you go over a high spot or a curb(scraping)it keeps the discharge hole covered a little on the bottom

theplantdoctor
01-01-2002, 01:12 PM
--------------It seems like there will be some strict restrictions regarding the pick up of grass clippings in 2002. Many of our municipal governments are moving to stop the pick up of grass clippings in 2002.

Just wondering--What do you do with all the clippings you collect? Do you bring them home and put them out at your curb? If so, you must have bags upon bags come collection day. Does Toronto have a composting site anywhere near you? You could take them there and they would be put to good use. We have at least one site here (Sault Ste. Marie) and it is open to the public as well. You can bring grass, leaves, garden waste, old sod etc. It's ideal for disposal.
Although we mulch over 90% of the time, when we are collecting in the spring, fall and leaves, we can fill our 1-ton dump in one to two days. I just back up to the piles of grass , dump, and then drive away. Couldn't be sweeter, and no landfill issues.

As far as questions about discharging, we have several Lawnboys and a couple of Toros. All commercial machines. One of the Toros is a "discharge only" machine. You can not bag with this machine. It has to have the nicest discharge I have ever seen. It easily beats the Lawnboys at discharging, and I am a big fan of Lawnboy machines. Most mulching machines only wish they could hide the clippings as well as this Toro. Long or short grass makes, no difference. Under the deck stays pretty clean too. Rarely needs to be scraped. I have looked at many machines, and have yet to be as impressed as I am with the Toro.
-Went and checked, Its model number is 22025C, if this helps any.

Ken

joed
01-01-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by theplantdoctor
--------------
-Went and checked, Its model number is 22025C, if this helps any.

Ken

Ken,
Thanks for the very useful information. I am quite certain that we have a compost site here in Toronto but I believe they charge you to dump. Is your place the same? In the competitive market we have here in the Toronto area, I can't see passing on the cost of dumping to customers when most of the competition simply discharges or mulches.

is the Toro model you mentionned above a push or self-propelled model, 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Also, I came a very interesting new side-discharge/mulching mower from Billy Goat called the Contour Mower. It has a 24" cut. Check it out at:www.billygoat.com (http://www.billygoat.com)

theplantdoctor
01-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Joed,
I hate to say this to you, but our compost site is FREE. But, they get you on the back end as they are a great place to get soil from, and that is not free.
Our market is pretty stiff here too, so people are not going to pay extra for dumping grass either. I do, however, charge them for dumping spring and fall debris, such as leaves and thatch and stuff.

The Toro that I have is a push model, but it does come in SP as well. It has the Suzuki 4.5 hp engine, 2 stoke. Probably one of the best engines you can buy on a 21" machine. Lots of power and it literally sipps the gas. The 1 gallon tank seems to last forever, compared to the Lawnboys.

Ken

crs
01-02-2002, 09:46 PM
I checked with the local dealer today and that model is no longer available. They quit using that number in the late 80's. The model that replaced it is a 22026. Seems to be the same mower housing with some updates....probably safety or emissions related. It does still come with the Suzuki engine. My dealer said he had never sold one but he could get it for about $750.

johnnywalker
01-03-2002, 06:04 PM
The ultimate side discharge 21" is the Honda UM536. Used only on wet spring growth, provides cleaner discharge than an LB. With the entire deck side open, even discharges better than the Exmark & Toro SFS decks in heavy turf.

Mowingman
01-03-2002, 08:56 PM
I have used the JD jx85 and its earlier versions for 10 years, and only mulch with them. If you keep sharp blades on them, they mulch real well. Of course, my experience is only with Bermuda and St. Augustine grass. They disperse the mulched clippings very well in my opinion. :)

bubble boy
01-03-2002, 11:25 PM
joed-i go to the miller site on bloomington and leslie and a pickup full of bags of grass rarely goes over the minimum charge-$4.71 including GST. Goes by weight of your waste. small cost, the time is more of a pain.

joed
01-04-2002, 11:36 AM
Fellows,
Thanks a lot for the very useful information.

Johny Walker,
Where do you get this Honda model you've talked about? Also, I can't seem to download your attached image? The new Billy Goat Contour 24" Mower seems like a real winner. Check it out at www.billygoat.com (http://www.billygoat.com)
Let me know what you think

johnnywalker
01-04-2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by joed

Johny Walker,
Where do you get this Honda model you've talked about? Also, I can't seem to download your attached image?

I believe it is only avail. mail order from UK.
Try this pic.

Redmowers
01-04-2002, 11:03 PM
My Proline is a model 22031 w/suzuki engine,1993 era. I believe with a full tank I could mow non stop 8-10 hours without refilling .I just wish it turned a few more RPM's seems to just idle.Compared to my old Jacobsen with the 501 this is too quiet!I may crank it up to a higher run speed this year to see what happens. I mulch most of the time with it only bagging in the fall for clean up. Never tried doubles on it ,but do have an atomic mulching blade on it now.

crs
01-05-2002, 10:00 AM
I have a Toro with the 2 stroke suzuki and have had to reset the governed speed almost every year since I have had it. (4? years)
This mower will side discharge much better if the engine speed is where its supposed to be. A couple of hundred rpm really makes a difference on any mower because of the drop in blade tip speed.

I don't think this is indicative of a problem because most of my equipment seems to lose engine speed during the course of use. I assume from vibration and general wear and tear.

At any rate I have gotten into the habit of checking the engine speed at least once yearly to make sure I am getting the most out of my equipment.

Redmowers
01-05-2002, 10:22 AM
How do you check your engine speed? Do you have a tach or what?

Redmowers
01-05-2002, 10:24 AM
Oh and how do you change it ,spring move or mechanically?:confused: