PDA

View Full Version : One for Fimco

bblawncare
06-08-2008, 08:02 AM
I must agree that us Florida irrigators have a lot to learn...was referred to this system last week-customer has city water-15gpm and 3 zones had been piped w/ 1/2". 2 zones actually worked ok, but the one going through the front yard and out to a 48x9 swale was really bad. The nozzles used were close to 18gpm. Plus the swale area had a single row of 15' 1/2 heads. Needless to say, this was a very dry area.

I replaced the index valve and repiped all the 1/2" coming out of it and then completely repiped the swale zone and used 10' fixed sprays (triangular) along the 48x9. (3) F heads were needed along a 12x35 strip before the swale. Those had previously been 15' F's. I used 12'. I thought the customer was gonna cry when I finished-he was so happy to see the heads actually throwing water. I explained that the 2 ends might suffer a little in dry times, but that the rest of the area would be much better.

I was very happy to finally get a day and do some "fun" irrigation work. As one of my customers put it, I've "been busier than a 1 legged farmer" lately. Remember, I am a "lawn girl" who wants to be an irrigator-so I mow grass most of the day and work on irrigation when I'm finished. I hope as I gain more experience that will change...I really don't like mowing. My days have been long 11-12 hours 6 days a week-Sunday is usually spent sleeping off & on between household chores. But I'm betting some day in the not so distant future, all this hard work will pay off and I will be able to park my mowers and just load my shovel for the day...:)

Sorry for the rambling, but I'm a girl and we do that from time to time. Besides, I don't post much, so I gotta make up for that. I'm here on LS every morning and night, but usually just too tired to say anything.:waving:

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 08:06 AM
VERY NICE BARB! Cleanest gluer ever. Even DW might admire that. Glad it is coming along well.

bblawncare
06-08-2008, 08:07 AM
I also suggested that he replace that nice wiring setup....

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Indexing valve on city water? Hmmmmm.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 09:03 AM
Indexing valve on city water? Hmmmmm.

It has an AVB. Mr Hmmmmmmmm

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 09:13 AM
That's part of the Hmmmmm, since AVBs aren't whole-system protectors. And the other part is whether it would have been cheaper to buy three more AVBs and skip the indexing valve, even with a 4-zone timer added on. Genuine toxic-rated backflow, plus the extra pressure you get for eliminating the indexing valve.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 09:15 AM
Bootsie , you see indexing valves much in your market?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 09:17 AM
That's part of the Hmmmmm, since AVBs aren't whole-system protectors. And the other part is whether it would have been cheaper to buy three more AVBs and skip the indexing valve, even with a 4-zone timer added on. Genuine toxic-rated backflow, plus the extra pressure you get for eliminating the indexing valve.

Good point. Plus you can set up true multiple run programs. Running index valves with a remote is a real PIB. Would eliminate that headache as well.

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I haven't seen an indexing valve in years and years. And fine by me, since I don't imagine it's easy to winterize a system with one of those.

DanaMac
06-08-2008, 09:33 AM
So what are the benefits and drawbacks to an indexing valve?

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 09:37 AM
One zone timer, no solenoids. Cheap, but it works.

Waterit
06-08-2008, 12:46 PM
Here we go again...

You guys REALLY want answers to why stuff like that is done and what would not only work but also be code-conforming?

Wet_Boots
06-08-2008, 12:55 PM
On incomplete info, you end up supplying guesses, and not answers. System might be 40 years old, from the days when solenoids were less than reliable.

I like the simplicity of a one-zone controller operating a well-point pump leading into an indexing valve.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
VERY NICE BARB! Cleanest gluer ever. Even DW might admire that. Glad it is coming along well.

I want everybody to notice I'm being nice to Barb and she is a Floridian:p

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 01:57 PM

Typical Texas suck-up.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2362821]VERY NICE BARB! Cleanest gluer ever. Can I interest you in some 6" valve boxes spread friggen everywhere?

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=FIMCO-MEISTER;2362821]VERY NICE BARB! Cleanest gluer ever. Can I interest you in some 6" valve boxes spread friggen everywhere?

::::::spews coffee into laptop::::::::

bblawncare
06-08-2008, 03:11 PM

Are you just doing that because I'm a girl? Or do you really believe me that I am trying to learn to do things right?

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Are you just doing that because I'm a girl? Or do you really believe me that I am trying to learn to do things right?

He's single and has multiple personalities, could be the meds were off.
I'm sure he meant the latter. :)

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 03:21 PM

OH NOOOOOOO! BY BRAIN IS BEING SCReWeD WITH! AGGGGGGH NEED BEER NOW!

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
OH NOOOOOOO! BY BRAIN IS BEING SCReWeD WITH! AGGGGGGH NEED BEER NOW!

You dug the trench, now backfill it. Glad to have a incarnation of SHESHOVEL.

Waterit
06-08-2008, 05:35 PM

Ignore them, Barb - they have this thing about Florida irrigation, how it could never possibly measure up to their standards. They're just jealous because the sun shines here all the time and we get to work all year 'round instead of hibernating months at a time.:laugh:

Elitists!:laugh::laugh::waving:

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 05:48 PM
how it could never possibly measure up to their standards.:

Geez, you make us sound like a bunch of elitists.

Waterit
06-08-2008, 07:10 PM
Geez, you make us sound like a bunch of elitists.

Guess you saw my post in the other thread?:dizzy: