PDA

View Full Version : Broken bulbs

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
06-08-2008, 09:53 AM
hey guys. I am still a green horn to the lighting industry and have a technical question that i need answered.

Yesterday i went to check on one of my customers houses b/c they said they had three pendant lights over their bar go out at one time. they did not see them go out, so they are just asuming they all went out at one time. when i got there i checked my dimmer switch, transformer and bulbs. when we went to pull the bulbs, all three were blue in color and cracked in several spots. the bulbs are the 20watt astro brights. I checked my wattage and it was 13.2 which was a little high, but saw no other signs that something else could have caused the problem.

have any of you ever run across something like this before where the bulbs cracked all over and turned blue? i was carefull when installing them not to touch the lamp and leave my oils on them.

any help will be gladly accepted. i have since turned the line voltage down to 12.2 volts to see if that helps.

Pro-Scapes
06-08-2008, 10:29 AM
hey guys. I am still a green horn to the lighting industry and have a technical question that i need answered.

Yesterday i went to check on one of my customers houses b/c they said they had three pendant lights over their bar go out at one time. they did not see them go out, so they are just asuming they all went out at one time. when i got there i checked my dimmer switch, transformer and bulbs. when we went to pull the bulbs, all three were blue in color and cracked in several spots. the bulbs are the 20watt astro brights. I checked my wattage and it was 13.2 which was a little high, but saw no other signs that something else could have caused the problem. I am hoping you mean you checked your voltage. Yes 13.2 is high but you need to check it under load too so replace the lamps and check it again.

have any of you ever run across something like this before where the bulbs cracked all over and turned blue? i was carefull when installing them not to touch the lamp and leave my oils on them. Is there a chance they got wet ? Is this that outdoor kitchen where you used then hanging unique lights ?

any help will be gladly accepted. i have since turned the line voltage down to 12.2 volts to see if that helps.This should help but again it needs to be checked under load. Are these the only fixtures on that dimmer ?

The Lighting Geek
06-08-2008, 12:58 PM
I would put them at 11.8 with all the bulbs burning and ask them if the were washing down and sprayed the counter. My guess is the fixtures got wet while on and they feel stupid telling you they did it. ;) I know I feel stupid quite a bit while explaining what I just did! Still have a dent in my forehead from walking into a 2x8...oh boy

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-08-2008, 10:50 PM
No explanation required and no need to ask the client what happened. Those lamps got wet while on. The sudden chill of the water touching the lamp capsule cracked the glass and then the filiment burned up when the oxygen got inside the capsule.

This is pretty common in open style pathlights when irrigation heads are moved or positioned nearby.

irrig8r
06-09-2008, 02:50 AM
I agree about them getting wet... earlier in my lighting career I hit a couple lamps with a damp rag when I noticed they were dirty and covered with spider webs ...

They cracked right ...

JoeyD
06-09-2008, 11:48 AM
The only time we have seen the Xelogen/Asto Brite lamps bubble and pop has been when they have been over volted and or wet. Double check your voltage with the 3 lamps replaced. Make sure no water is penetrating the fixture which it shouldn't.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
06-09-2008, 10:32 PM
there is a lot of spider webs forming this time of year on there and knowing the customer, i bet they sprayed the lights to clean them off before a party.

David Gretzmier
06-10-2008, 06:31 AM
same answer, wet. same thing happened to me in another location with exposed 1156's in paths. voltage was 11.3, all blue, all cracked. no irrigation system, but probably were hit by hose or sprinkler on hose when bulbs were hot. I replaced and moved on.