PDA

View Full Version : Do you bury drip lines or leave them on top?

jrumbaug
06-08-2008, 02:30 PM
I'm starting my fiirst residential irrigation project. It will be 3 zones of sprinklers and 3 zones of drip irrigation, 6 total. I run a greenhouse where I have run drip irrigation for my hanging baskets and chrysanthemums in the field, but I'm not sure what is "the prefered method" of irrigating shrubs in a residential setting.
For som reason, I expected the drip line to be buried about four inches to deliver water to the roots, but after watching a short video it was talking about laying the drip pipe on the gound and perhaps covering it with mulch. That seems TOO easy. Is there a right and wrong, or is there pros and cons? Please, give me some insight.

Jim Rumbaugh

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:36 PM
We run above ground and cover with mulch. KISS

DanaMac
06-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Agreed. but stake them down. Hydraulics will make the pipes rise to the surface above the mulch or rocks if they are not.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:40 PM
definatly stake em, we aim for an emitter so as not to crunch the pipe.

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 02:44 PM
You can bend Netafim to a 9" circle, but if you do , use two or three circles since the
emitters are on 12" centers.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Carefull , they do sell .9x 18"

jrumbaug
06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Double WOW
That's the fastest answers I have ever recieved.
BIG THANKS
I was coming back to add that I was running a drip line with built in emmitters, so you wouldn't think I was burying those snap in emmitters like a netafim system has..

I'm glad you understood, and thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before this is through.

I consider this question answered. Unless someone has a reason TO bury the pipe.......

Thanks again

Jim Rumbaugh

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 02:49 PM
Double WOW
That's the fastest answers I have ever recieved.
BIG THANKS
I was coming back to add that I was running a drip line with built in emmitters, so you wouldn't think I was burying those snap in emmitters like a netafim system has..

I'm glad you understood, and thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions before this is through.

I consider this question answered. Unless someone has a reason TO bury the pipe.......

Thanks again

Jim Rumbaugh

Oh dont worry this thread will go on for days. End up being about travel in the Pacific northwest.

Dirty Water
06-08-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh dont worry this thread will go on for days. End up being about travel in the Pacific northwest.

Speaking of travel, I took my family to the Snoqualmie falls yesterday:

http://www.gfilter.net/junk/waterfall/resize/waterfall.jpg
http://www.gfilter.net/junk/waterfall/resize/waterfall2.jpg

If you walk a 1/2 Mile trail, you go down to the power station that is driven by the falls:

http://www.gfilter.net/junk/waterfall/resize/waterfall3.jpg
http://www.gfilter.net/junk/waterfall/resize/waterfall4.jpg

I love the pacific north west, I'm never leaving.

AI Inc
06-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Sweet, wish you left coast guys would post more scenic pics.

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 03:06 PM

Did someone say PNW?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I love the pacific north west, I'm never leaving.

Not even for TEXAS! :rolleyes: I've got a trip in my lifetime planned there. Hopefully I'll meet ML before he goes into a nursing home and I've still got to get to Vancouver Island to meet Mad Estonian.

Mike Leary
06-08-2008, 03:33 PM
I've got a trip in my lifetime planned there. Hopefully I'll meet ML before he goes into a nursing home and I've still got to get to Vancouver Island to meet Mad Estonian.

Leave the 6" boxes down there, they'll make you wear them here.

AI Inc
06-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Keep posting them pics!

Kiril
06-09-2008, 10:53 AM

I will do this when renovating with established plantings, but for new plantings I will bury depending on what is being watered and how efficient I want the watering to be.

ARGOS
06-09-2008, 12:24 PM
I have a lot of gopher problems when the irrigation lines are buried deeper then the mulch.

k911lowe
06-09-2008, 12:36 PM
if you leave them above ground you are looking for a law suit when someone trips over them.bury them like you said.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-09-2008, 07:20 PM
lol @ left coast..

Thanks rush!

Wet_Boots
06-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Subsoil emitters are subject to root intrusion.

Waterit
06-09-2008, 08:30 PM

Also subject to shovel intrusion.

Mike Leary
06-09-2008, 08:38 PM

Are we done with this thread? Drip::::last resort, can you say "stomata"?.

hoskm01
06-09-2008, 11:53 PM
Not even for TEXAS! :rolleyes: I've got a trip in my lifetime planned there. Hopefully I'll meet ML before he goes into a nursing home and I've still got to get to Vancouver Island to meet Mad Estonian.
What gives you the impression that the home is not already the case?

Kiril
06-10-2008, 12:58 AM

Buried or under mulch, same problem.

Kiril
06-10-2008, 12:59 AM
Are we done with this thread? Drip::::last resort, can you say "stomata"?.

I can say .... when are you going to let go of your silly stomata reference.