PDA

View Full Version : um, fast lead-connections?

Mike M
06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
I've been using the ace connectors for adding longer leads. Should I just simply be using those yellow heat shrink crimp connectors? Seems easier, faster and cheaper. Are they reliable in the field?

They were brought up before, but I want to know if they have limitations. The only thing I can think is on exposed surfaces, the black heat-shrink conceals nicely.

What about servicing PAR's, should I use the heat-shrink version for those connectors, too? I've been using the regular crimp-ons with lubricant gunked on.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-09-2008, 01:47 AM
I think the ACE is the superior connector, but those Belden SolderSeals are pretty darned good too. Certainly you dont have the ability to bring as many wires into the SolderSeal as you do the ACE. Just be careful not to over heat the SolderSeal.. it can be an issue. The ACE is available in 3 sizes in case you didnt know. Large, Med & Mini.

Lite4
06-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Stick with the Ace Mike.

Venturewest
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Are Ace connectors available only through Nightscaping?

Pro-Scapes
06-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Nothing I have found is as secure as the ace if your going to use an inline connection.

I recently had to tear some ace connectors apart to add in a couple of fixtures. Man thoes things are tough once that sealant hardens.

Mike I also use tin coated crimps for adding leads then double shrink boot em with a 3/16" over each wire followed by a 3/8" over the whole thing. Aces get expensive FAST. Adding leads is so time consuming.

If your going to get your own shrink boot check with a local electronics store for dual wall NTE with the sealant inside.