PDA

View Full Version : W/B ZTR or stander/sentar

scagman
12-31-2001, 04:37 AM
In the next couple of months Im going to buy a big mower. Im stumped on what to get, right now I run a Scag 32 Which Ive grown out, this is whats in mind #1 Scag 52" hydro 21hp with sulky #2 Wright sentar 52" with 23hp #3 ZTR Ive heard many good things about these, but have never used them. There are two things that concern me about these mowers Height adjustments (how fast) also the rear bagging system makes me nervous are there any ztrs with side baggers. I live in WA so I freqently mow in wet conditions. Would a rear bagging system on a ztr be a good choice. these three mowers would all work on my properties, but my question is which one will be the most productive. If I was to get a ztr I would stay within 61". I know alot of you guys use these ztrs and I hear you all say you will never use a walkbehind again, for those that use them what are the best ones and what are your thoughts on the bagging system, also how do you get them over curbs.

Richard Martin
12-31-2001, 06:59 AM
Scagman,
If you are considering a ZTR and you must bag then you should be also looking at the Walkers with the GHS (Grass Handling System). They are the best mower for bagging grass and I don't think anyone here at Lawnsite will argue with that.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-31-2001, 07:21 AM
Bagging grass is laborous, expensive, time consuming, and almost a complete waste of time, energy, and nutriants. If you can get by without bagging, this is surily the way to go. It too will bag and handle grass well.

http://www.lawngodfather.com/lazer%20w%20pico%20vac3.jpg

strickdad
12-31-2001, 08:08 AM
ut-ohhh, Lgf now you know you gonna stir up dem walker boys buy talkin like dat.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-31-2001, 09:14 AM
There are other options out there.

Ransomes make a bag only mower. However I think its only 44".

Richard Martin
12-31-2001, 10:12 AM
I don't own a Walker and probably never will because I only side discharge but if I ever had a need to bag grass consistently a Walker would be my mower of choice. I have no doubt that your duct taped, jury rigged, disgustingly dirty Exmark does a fine job for you.

65hoss
12-31-2001, 11:46 AM
If you are going to bag only then the Walker is the way to go. But, if your going to mostly mulch or side discharge and only bag during leaf season LGF is correct. The midmount is more versatile. The ability to cut large areas fast, bag a few picky customers, mulch leaves, pull aerator, etc.

Changing deck height is pull a pin and stick it in another hole. Pretty simple. If all you have is small postage stamp size lawns then maybe you should consider a stander. That would be better for you. Look at what your properties are, demo a few mowers, search here for all types of opinions on this, then you will find what is right for you.

edward hedrick
12-31-2001, 08:22 PM
Let me give anoyher choice I use a 3 wheel Scag Sthm. I use it with a grass gobbler when needed

LAWNGODFATHER
12-31-2001, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Richard Martin
I don't own a Walker and probably never will because I only side discharge but if I ever had a need to bag grass consistently a Walker would be my mower of choice. I have no doubt that your duct taped, jury rigged, disgustingly dirty Exmark does a fine job for you.

Duct tabe, why not. Why replace the hose when you can tape it. And it has a new one on it now, couldn't tape any more. The one in the pic is 3 years old. $22 fixed that.

And nothing of mine by no means is ever JIMMY RIGGED!!!!!!!!!!

Dirty Only in the pic, just finshed for the day and had enough day light to take pic.

BTW I used to think there was money in bagging grass, right!!!!

Cushman 807 60" deck with grass caddy that was the way to bag. And less than 1 min could switch to side discharge. This thing would dump in the bed of a pickup.

Bagging grass is 10 times harder, 10 times slower, 10 times more work, and lots of debris to haul off.

A 1 acre lawn will produce 2 tons of clippings in 1 week.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-31-2001, 09:59 PM
I have nothing against the mower, Just bagging grass, it is a small niche market, with very high disposal costs.

scagman
01-01-2002, 12:51 AM
LGF, I doaround 30 res. and 3 comm. the comm. I discharge and the res I bag. If I could disharge on all well maybe not all but a majority of my res. accounts I would be way more productive and that means I would be able to take on more lawns, being solo. It would up my income. Tell me how do get away with dischaging. I think if I tried that this upcoming season customers would be angry.

David Haggerty
01-01-2002, 06:36 AM
Few people are going to have conditions as wet as you do. But for wet lawns, I've had good luck with double blades. It reduces the amount of clippings discharged by 1/2.

Mine is a 36" WB with high lift blades on the bottom, and Gator mulching blades on top with a 1/4" spacer between them. I had to grind down the baffeling under the deck in one place for the gators to clear.

After mowing I still had to blow out the clumps a little with the backpack blower, but it was still better than bagging.

I even got a compliment on the appearance of the lawn, and I mowed it in the pouring rain.

Dave

mdb landscaping
01-01-2002, 08:33 AM
if you go ztr, making height adjustments is a piece of cake. most ztrs, just push a pedal and switch your height right away. no messsing with washers or bolts. as far as bagging systems, most companies are going with spindle driven units that mount on the back. i have an exmark like lgf, without a bagging system, because i side discharge 100 percent of the time during mowing season. i hear real good things about the ultravac by exmark, and may decide to get one for spring and fall cleanups. i think you should demo as many mowers as you can in the wet conditions, and pick the mower you felt did the job the best.

LAWNGODFATHER
01-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by scagman
LGF, I doaround 30 res. and 3 comm. the comm. I discharge and the res I bag. If I could disharge on all well maybe not all but a majority of my res. accounts I would be way more productive and that means I would be able to take on more lawns, being solo. It would up my income. Tell me how do get away with dischaging. I think if I tried that this upcoming season customers would be angry.

Try, you would mean sell.

First the ones you wont be able to sell the idea on, you should stick with the way you do them now.

Second I wouldn't rely on double blades to change your entire business.

You will have to choose which mower to buy.

Sell the customers on the added expence of baggging, with the added nutriants needed to replace what has been disposed of.

Sell them on the idea that you could actualy do a better job by discharging the clipping.

Sell them on the idea that the lawn will look better, healthier, and stronger due to the not bagging.

Did you know that when bagging it removes nutrians from the lawn.

Did you know that when bagging it costs you more to replace the nutiants for your lawn.

Did you know that when you bag the lawn you take moisture away from the lawn.

Did you know that there realy is no benafit to bagging a lawn.

Some ideas for selling points.

Find a couple of books on grass, they have some good info on the pro's and con's of bagging. Also most of the con's are going to be your selling point because there wont be many pro's.

OBRYANMAINT
01-01-2002, 07:00 PM
i have both a walker and a sentar.......the walker is not a mower perfect in all situations but a mower that is super versatile, i have two decks and it can go on some small areas that only a 21 would do before........on the sentar don't think that this is a sit/ stand mower...... the only way you could comfortably stand on it is if you are very short!

e mail me if you have any more questions

doug