PDA

View Full Version : am i still a scrub?

formerscrub
12-31-2001, 09:40 AM
The grass is still growing here in Florida and I am still cutting my accounts bi-weekly. The other day I was cutting and a bigger LCO called me a scrub! Now I still have a small trailer w/two commercial 21's and commercial edger,line trimmer, and blower.
I am still looking for a good deal on a 32 or 36 walkbehind but until then am I still a scrub? I maintain my accounts every week and most of my accounts have been with me for 1-2 years but i guess until I get that 36 I am a scrub.
Do all pro LCO think this way?

:angry:

Richard Martin
12-31-2001, 09:56 AM
If you are a legal business, are properly insured and conduct yourself in a professional manner then it doesn't really matter what kind of equiptment you have. If you can say yes to these things then no, you are not a scrub.

Fantasy Lawns
12-31-2001, 11:01 AM
I agree Richard ...... when we first started ..... guys in our area .... did most of the same thing ...... they felt threaten .....n for good reason ;->

odin
12-31-2001, 12:04 PM
Guy dont worry what the other big guys say just do your good job and forget them guys.
If You pay your insurance and iicenses you aint no scrub in my opinion.

fivestarlawnken
12-31-2001, 03:04 PM
Don't worry just wave and say have a good day.You run the business not them.:D

MATTHEW
12-31-2001, 03:51 PM
No doubt. Our problem IS the legal stuff. Hey, if I did not pay for insurance, taxes and commercial plates, I would have some serious cash to play with. The funny thing is that most of these guys can operate in this way for years and never get caught. So why do we do it? I have had new clients ask if I want cash and give me that little look, and I always say that I pay my taxes and really have insurance. How much can you really trust a guy who basically tells you they are cheating the government?

Lawn Dog2001
12-31-2001, 04:09 PM
If you feel good about the direction your biz is headed in, then it really dosent matter what other people think. When you get your 36" someone will drive by with three Lazers on the trailer and call you a scrub. That dosent make it true.

lawncare
12-31-2001, 04:12 PM
Down south i giv'em the international peace sign and say your mamma!!!!

1MajorTom
12-31-2001, 04:58 PM
:confused: Is the term "scrub" universal to the lawn care business? I personally had never heard the word scrub in reference to lawn care until LawnSite.

So, what you are saying is: You were busy cutting a lawn and another company just rode or came up to you and said, "Hey there you scrub??" Unless that person is on lawnsite, I just don't see a person out of the blue thinking up that word and saying that to another cutter.

odin
12-31-2001, 05:38 PM
Its not universal to lawn care when i worked for general motors that what we call the non uaw foreign plants workers.
We also have some other colorful words to but i dont think the moderaters would allow them

mowerman90
12-31-2001, 06:13 PM
Since your profile doesn't list your location in Fl it would be hard to judge if you were a scrub or not. You must be doing small (8-10,000 sq ft or less) lawns if you anticipate that you will only need a 36in WB. By that info alone I'd say "yes, you're a scrub" if you're charging any less than $15 per cut. If you're charging $15 or more per cut and have your occ license and insurance then you're definately not a scrub and you shouldn't worry what anyone else says. I'm not trying to be mean or a smart ass, it's just that I've been doing business here in FL for over 13 years and I'd say that 9 out'a 10 in my area are scrubs. That includes some with 20 foot trailers hauling a couple Z's and a 52" WB with a crew of 3. Many northerners who read this will think that "anyone" who charges less than $25 to drop the gate are scrubs.

JEFF ZALMANOFF
12-31-2001, 08:13 PM
I can't believe someone would do that he must be a real jerk .it's not the size of your trailer or mowers ' I find most of the LCO around her don't seem to nice . I have waved at TWENTY LCO'S this month and ONE waved bacK !!!!!!!!!! I have lived here in florida all my life . it just seems everyone is worried about someone stealing a yard from them . IF you do a good job you can keep them usually . people who yell from trucks are bozo's .

lawnman_scott
12-31-2001, 09:06 PM
If your legal your not a "scrub" in my opinion. Doesnt matter what you use or how much you charge to me. Everyone has a price, and its a free country. Seems to me there are plenty of customers to go around here in FL at least.

bobbygedd
12-31-2001, 10:15 PM
hey former scrub, u should stop worrying what these morons think of u. i stopped a long time ago. if a man cant be nice to his peers, then maybe he hates himself or his wife is messin around while hes mowing lawns or something. heck with him, ignore him. as far as im concerned, i work for me and my family, if anyone doesnt like my equipment or my looks, tough!

joshua
01-01-2002, 02:57 AM
hey formerscrub, don't worry about it. keep doing a good job if you do so now, and in the future their customers will notice. and you will get customers of theirs. and then they will call you a lowballer. so in saying that no matter what you do and how you do it as long as you cut grass for a living they will see you as a threat and try just about anything to get you to quit. just be smarter than them and stay strong when they start the 10 year old name calling.

awm
01-01-2002, 05:54 AM
what u are is a man making a livin doing lawn care. :(
d-- the labels ignorant people want to use.

Atlantic Lawn
01-01-2002, 07:17 AM
Scrub appears to be more a state of mind, someone that lowballs and really lacks any sort of professionalism. Most folks you meet on Lawnsite are here to get info and exchange ideas, there is also the "fellowship" that is not found elsewhere. Just not many scrubs around here.So if you're here you're probably not a scrub. Feel Good & Be Happy.

formerscrub
01-01-2002, 07:36 AM
thanks for all of your posts on my question i'll try to keep my chin up and keep doing a good job. As for some of the posts asked I am licensed and insured and I do pay taxes.

BRIAN GALLO
01-01-2002, 02:43 PM
I think you're on the ball - don't worry. I know some guys around here that make a good living with a 4 x 8 trailer and 2 lawn-boys - and they cut the same size lawns I do with a big walk behind! If you do a good job, are legit and have smaller yards then I don't see any shame in not having 2 zrt's. You will always have some "showboat" lco with all the newest equipment drive by you with his nose in the air.

michael68
01-02-2002, 12:45 AM
just smile and politely tell them that Jesus still lives them, keep on mowin!

rodney
01-02-2002, 02:40 AM
odin00
i would bet those non uaw workers was called scabs not
scrubs.
im with 1majortom on this one.i have never heard the word scrub used except on lawnsite .

GrassChopper
01-02-2002, 07:53 AM
I also get upset when someone comes in and lowballs.. However, I also remind myself that these people need to make a living also. Sometimes it is teens, sometimes adults with mouths to feed.

When they take a mower out and solicit work, at least they are not selling drugs, stealing or doing some other activity that is illegal.

Just for the record, I am licensed, insured and do pay my taxes.

VLM
01-02-2002, 01:28 PM
The simple fact that you are sophisticated enough to post on this site tells me you are definitely no "scrub".