PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Lazer Z overheating?

zilla24
06-09-2008, 08:36 PM
I am fairly new to the ZTR mower game and just bought a used 60" Lazer Z with a Kholer Command 25. It ran fine for the past month but it now seems to be acting up a bit. The weather here in PA the last 3 days has been around 95 degrees. The first issue I had was the mower ran fine for 20 minutes then shut off, kind of like it was out of fuel (there was plenty in the tank). I was able to start it back up but evey time I went to release the parking brake it would stall out, it would run with the brake on though. I looked it over and turns out there was grass packed up in the engine belt and all around the hydro pumps. Today I mowed again, it ran great this time for 1.5 hours. I stopped for a minute or two to grab a drink and let the mower idle, when I went to start mowing again the same problem as before. Please Help!!!

Partsangel
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Zilla,
This is a common thing when you buy used equipment, they probably sold it for that very same reason? You will have to go back to room 101 and service the whole mower including fuel filter, oil filter and oil change, air cleaner. now you made a note about grass clippings everywhere so I would remove the blower housing/ cooling cover/plastic thing that covers the cylinders and coils on the engine and check/clean all grass and debiris from under it and also check your gas cap...Yep your gas cap maybe clogged not let air into the gas tank to replace the fuel your engine is using (very common) an engine that runs fine for a minute or two should run fine for hours as well. you either have an overheating sensor saying (i'm not cool) or a gas starvation problem saying (I need clean service parts) please come back and let us know what it turns out to be K.

Mike

White Gardens
06-09-2008, 10:02 PM
If you think it's an over heating, take the shroud off the engine. I've seen some motors packed to the hilt with grass, if you had that much around your pumps and belts, then you probably have some around the motor.

If your short on time, try using an air hose to blow out around the cylinders before you take off the shrouds, sometimes they can be a bear.

You might have a saftey switch issue with the parking brake, but I'm not familiar with that mower.

Could be a fuel pump issue too, might have surfaced when the weather has gotten hotter.

Parts Angel, I just saw your post right after I finished mine, you hit the nail on the head.

zilla24
06-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Thanks guys for the responses. When I first brought the mower home I changed the engine oil with Kohler 10W-30, oil filter, fuel filter, checked the air box and replaced the choke cable. I checked the S/N’s on the mower and motor and it appears the mower is a 2000 while the engine is a 2005, it also has the updated Donaldson air filter system on it. I thought for sure I had it licked when I cleaned out all the grass from the pumps and motor belt assy but yesterday threw me for a loop. I have new gas caps on order and I will look into the parking brake switch as well. I am kinda leaning towards that now since if I push the switch in after it shuts off it will run and as soon as you let it out it stalls. One thing I forgot to mention was that after I do get it running after the shutdown it wants to “diesel” for a second or two after I turn the key off. Not sure what that’s about either. I knew I might have some issues buying used equipment but am fairly mechanically inclined and just can’t afford the 10k for a new Exmark. Aside of this issue I’m super pleased with the cut and performance of this machine.

JHugh
06-10-2008, 06:59 PM
You said the mower will sometime die when you release the parking brake? I would bet you have a safety switch going bad. It could be three different switches. You could either have a bad/out of adjustment seat switch, a bad tilt switch, or a bad time delay module. Does the engine die instantly when you remove the park brake, or does it wait a second or two then die? If it dies instantly, your time delay module is bad. If it waits a second or two then dies, your delay module is good. To test the seat switch, remove the plug from the switch and jump the plug. If it stays running when you release the brake that switch is bad. If not, test the tilt switch. It is a small round cylinder mounted under the seat area. The tilt switch connects to the seat switch wire harness. You can remove the wires that go to the tilt switch and connect them together. If you find it to be a bad tilt switch, there is no replacement available from Exmark. They quit using them a couple years ago. You just keep the wires that go to each plug connected together. Good luck!

zilla24
06-11-2008, 12:48 PM
The problem definately seems to stem around the parking brake but only when it is hot. After it shuts off it will usually start right back up but when I remove the park brake it wants to stall right out, so the time delay module makes sense. Any idea what the part number might be? I was looking at J. Thomas and couldn't find it.

zilla24
06-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Ok stupid question now, I found and picked up a time delay module (100-6186) where is it located on the mower?

zilla24
06-11-2008, 06:11 PM
THe S/N on my machine is 215,XXX I don't see a time delay module listed for it on the parts manual... ?

JHugh
06-11-2008, 06:13 PM
I think on that year of mower it is located on the underside of the control panel. The same panel that houses your throttle/choke cables and switches. There are six bolts that hold the panel on. It should be under there.

JHugh
06-11-2008, 06:16 PM
It says safety interlock module in your parts manual. Did you get part#543316? Edit:I see you listed a part number. That is not the correct part for you serial number.

zilla24
06-22-2008, 11:09 AM
Update to my problem... I ended up disconnecting every electrical connection on the mower, cleaning the dirt from them and putting some di-electric grease in to prevent dirt and water from entering. I haven't had a reocurring problem since, I mowed the other day for 4 hrs and everything went well. It still does occasionally "diesel" for a a second or two after I turn it off and the engine is hot but for now I'm not going to worry too much about that. Thanks all for the help and responses...

mowermankevin
06-25-2008, 05:49 PM
Zilla, hope your still out making money on the 60, as you have found out, these ol' Exmarks can eat up a lot of ground in a hurry when everything is working right. We had one last year come down over a retaining wall on to concrete into a 90 degree corner and pin the driver under it. Guess what that machine has never run right electrically untill last weekend. I tried everything I knew for the last year to cheat,but it always came back with fuse/ PTO switch/ ignition problems. This is a 98' model with no Time Delay Module/or whatever that box does, so last weekend I decided to take a old 48" Exmark wire harness and switch it out, and while I was wiring it in I'd try all the circuits to see what was working correctly as I was putting it in. This harness had the module, the ol' 60 didn't have holes drilled in the control panel but I just tested to see if it would crank, start, engage blades, etc... and walaa everything works !!!! It's hot as H@))) here, dry, and the ol' 60 is humming, making money. Keep 'em clean, use die-electric grease and mow on!!

MJB
07-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Update to my problem... I ended up disconnecting every electrical connection on the mower, cleaning the dirt from them and putting some di-electric grease in to prevent dirt and water from entering. I haven't had a reocurring problem since, I mowed the other day for 4 hrs and everything went well. It still does occasionally "diesel" for a a second or two after I turn it off and the engine is hot but for now I'm not going to worry too much about that. Thanks all for the help and responses...

How is that engine as far as power on a 60" deck? I'm looking at a new Exmark with that engine combination and I'm a little scared of it, but it is a good deal.

zilla24
07-02-2008, 08:20 AM
I'm super pleased with the performance of this machine, from what the paperworks says it will mow at 9mph. When the grass is really high and damp it will bog the engine down a little bit but I wouldn't hessitate to recommend this combo to anybody. I see alot of these units around and they seem to hold up. I used to mow my house and neighbors (about 6 acres) in 6 hrs with my 31 hp compact tractor and a 72" finish mower, plus a good bit of trimming afterwards. Now I'm down to 2.5 hrs with the Exmark and almost no trimming.