PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to design a project. Any suggestions?

Venturewest
06-10-2008, 08:41 AM
I am getting ready to illuminate this residence and I would love to have some input from you guys.

This house is in a little gated neighborhood where I have installed holiday lighting on 12% of the homes for 4 years. Everyone knows who I am and I plan to capitalize on that with some direct mailing. I am going to mail out a 5x 7 with a photo of the development entrance and an example of nice lighting.

On the other side I will let them know they need to be on the lookout for the dramatic night time change at the address I am installing at. Maybe do a special limited time neighborhood offer.

Okay, back to the design. Here are my ideas. I want to evenly graze the stone all the way to the peak of the house. I realize that light stone is going to readily illuminate. The entrance is the obvious focal point and I would love to get lights behind the arch like I have seen Tim do, but I am afraid it isn't feesible on this one. Would it be okay to use a narrow spot on the column on each side of the arch, but then next to it, use a bab to get my light evenly to top of the house?

I am planning on sillouhetting the Blue Atlas Cedars planted on either side of the porch. A few path lights down the entrance sidewalk. Even though the entrance is so symetrical, do you think alternate spacing would still be best? Is that always the rule?

There are a couple of small chinese elms in the foreground that I will uplight to give some depth.

The house is so tall. What else can I do to anchor it to the ground? Area lights in the beds?

Any help would be seriously appreciated, and I can't wait to post finished photos.

NightScenes
06-10-2008, 10:19 AM
I would not use the narrow spot lights but instead use 20/36 on both sides of the entry and then use 20/60 for the other side of the window. I think I would then use a wide wash under the window to softly light it. The red brick will probably require 35 watt lamps.

I would also use 3 path lights (staggered) along the front walk and then maybe a few on each side to accent the lower plantings in the beds. I would then back light the trees at the front of the property.

Just my thoughts.

Venturewest
06-10-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks Paul, I appreciate your help. That definitely gives me a few more things to try than my original plan. I would like to set up a full demo.