PDA

View Full Version : Rainbird Controller Not Working

bappida69
06-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Hello,

I hope this is the right forum for posting this question that I have. I am an absolute newbie and recently found that my Rainbird E-9 Controller seems to be "dead". Other than checking the power supply, I am not sure if there is something else I can do to set this right?

Thanks in advance!!

Wet_Boots
06-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Any lightning activity? Pull out any backup battery. The idea is a complete power-down, in the hopes of rebooting the controller.

Mike Leary
06-10-2008, 12:06 PM
See if there's a little fuse in the back. Leave it unplugged for a few hours after
proving it's getting 110v & 24 volts after the transformer. Is it plugged into a circuit
that has a GFI (ground-fault-interrupter)?

bappida69
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Once I am home, I will check this and post. But yes, there were some lightning activities some time back:cry: Do all these controllers have back up battery? I couldn't find that in the front panel. But will look again.

Thanks for the responses..

bappida69
06-11-2008, 12:03 AM
Hi,

I did not find any backup battery nor did I find any fuse in the back/front:confused:

Thanks!

DanaMac
06-11-2008, 12:15 AM
Hi,

I did not find any backup battery nor did I find any fuse in the back/front:confused:

Thanks!

I don't believe that model had them. It has been discontinued. Sorry, but it's a junk controller. I don't like it.

Waterit
06-11-2008, 01:51 AM
Replace that hunk-of-junk! The E series was a really bad idea...

bappida69
06-15-2008, 10:34 AM
Hi,

Sounds like I need to change the controller:cry: However, I wanted to first verify if the transformer is ok or not.

So I went ahead and bought a new sprinkler transformer to check the same. However while trying to install the new transformer, I noticed that there are two wires, whereas the E-9 transformer seems to have three wires connected to the controller(two colors only). Little confused as to how to connect the transformer?

Thanks in advance!

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 10:47 AM
get yourself a esp lxi hoss.......

spend the dough..they go cheap on the intrawebs..

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 11:04 AM
Three-wire transformer ~ leave the green wire unconnected. Black and white will be 24VAC.

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Three-wire transformer ~ leave the green wire unconnected. Black and white will be 24VAC.

I know hunter and R/B make sure that green= ground....so always make the green's attach..

oh wait also I think the toro Greenskeeper (pos) does green for ground as well.

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 11:32 AM
I know hunter and R/B make sure that green= ground....so always make the green's attach..

oh wait also I think the toro Greenskeeper (pos) does green for ground as well.I think the OP is dealing with a controller that has no ground terminal, so he can leave the green alone. I would think most controllers would be grounded, to enhance surge protection, but it isn't absolutely mandatory. (electromechanical controllers couldn't care less about grounding)

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
I think the OP is dealing with a controller that has no ground terminal, so he can leave the green alone. I would think most controllers would be grounded, to enhance surge protection, but it isn't absolutely mandatory. (electromechanical controllers couldn't care less about grounding)

FWIW- Grandpappy used to hook up GFI extension cords to controllers for that extra long run.....

no house's have burned down yet.

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 11:57 AM
I suspect most, if not all, controllers have enough MOV surge protection to not need any extra on the power side. The SRC never used a grounding wire, and they've been working more than a decade.

bappida69
06-15-2008, 12:06 PM

Hi,

Sorry, I think I made a typo here :hammerhead: The transformer which I purchased has 2 wires(same black color) whereas the existing transformer had 3 wires(2 colors-2 orange and 1 yellow). So my confusion stems from the fact that the old transformer was getting connected to three terminals on my Rainbird Controller.

I purchased a Orbit transformer.

Thanks!

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 12:08 PM
Hi,

Sorry, I think I made a typo here :hammerhead: The transformer which I purchased has 2 wires(same black color) whereas the existing transformer had 3 wires(2 colors-2 orange and 1 yellow). So my confusion stems from the fact that the old transformer was getting connected to three terminals on my Rainbird Controller.

Thanks!
I hope you kept the receipt for that orbit transformer..

K
thanks

bye

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 12:13 PM
I hope you kept the receipt for that orbit transformer..

K
thanks

byeWhy? Orbit transformers work - they transform your money into garbage....

CAPT Stream Rotar
06-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Why? Orbit transformers work - they transform your money into garbage....

Please tip your waiters on the way out!!!

HELL BE HERE ALL WEEKS!!

i spit coffee on my keyboard thanks bootz

Wet_Boots
06-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi,

Thanks!Just buy a Hunter SRC-900i controller, unless you don't want to water the lawn, and would prefer to dink around with electronics, when you don't even possess the basic tools for doing so.

Mike Leary
06-16-2008, 10:36 AM

Until one learns to use a Volt-Ohm meter, they should not be allowed to open
a clock, is that not in Texas irrigation licensing requirements? :hammerhead: