PDA

View Full Version : customer call's

BLKSS
06-10-2008, 11:40 AM
customer calls today and says "are your blades sharp" i said yea they should be i just replaced it about a month and a half ago. he then says b/c the cut looked a little rough. I use a comm. toro 21 inch is there anything that could be causing this? the only thing i could think off is i never bag but this last time i had to b/c we had a storm and a bunch of leaves had to be picked up. what do yall think?

QualityLawnCare4u
06-10-2008, 11:50 AM
You gave sharpened those blades in the last month and half I assume? Mine get sharpened every day or they will start leaving a rough looking cut, sometime I have had to replace/sharpen by lunch if cutting bahai.

Yuanding
06-10-2008, 12:12 PM
Ask customer to specify what he means by "a bit rough". Does he mean the ends of the blades of grass look torn rather than cut cleanly, or does he mean there is debris on the lawn, or does he mean the cut is not even and consistent? No mower will cut a blade of grass as cleanly as a pair of scissors.
I would suggest that unless there is something seriously wrong with your mower (e.g bent crankshaft) it may be that the blades of grass are coarser than usual and so you notice the ragged ends more. Also don't forget that some customers can get bees in their bonnet and accuse you of all sorts of things. They only need to feel a vague resentment about giving you money to cut the grass (and who DOES like paying for things?), to cause them to want to make YOU feel bad about the quality of your work.

BLKSS
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
yuanding thats true the customer does own a vending machine company

SamTheLawnMan
06-10-2008, 02:04 PM
customer calls today and says "are your blades sharp" i said yea they should be i just replaced it about a month and a half ago. he then says b/c the cut looked a little rough. I use a comm. toro 21 inch is there anything that could be causing this? the only thing i could think off is i never bag but this last time i had to b/c we had a storm and a bunch of leaves had to be picked up. what do yall think?

How many lawns do you cut per week???
10 lawns is about all I will cut before I sharpen my blades.
That's what i'm thinking.

bohiaa
06-10-2008, 02:13 PM
I find it amazing that you didn't notice it before you left the proptery.

the co. that I run is NOT for everyone, we bend down and try to get eye level with the truff to check that we didn't leave any stragglers,

Of corse were VERY expensive.

I find it hard to belive that you would leave a blade on a mower for that ammount of time. we replace ours at 3 weeks, the longest I have ever ran a blade is 1 month.

Varsity L&G
06-10-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't have that many accounts this year and I still notice when my blade needs changed. Takes about 1 to 2 weeks and it gets changed.

I am not anal about it but it sure makes my life easier when I have a sharp blade on the toro.

zemzabob
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Hell I'm a home owner and I sharpen my blades about every month or so.

Lawn-Sharks
06-10-2008, 03:00 PM
I sharpen my blades twice a month.

BLKSS
06-11-2008, 01:28 AM
maybe i just have a lot of work.

lawnwizards
06-11-2008, 07:31 AM
i sharpen mine about once a month. could use it more but its a pain in the rear and my customers dont even notice.

kleankutslawn
06-11-2008, 08:15 AM
i may only sharpen mine once a month on my 21inch b/c i don't use it that often

Roger
06-11-2008, 08:27 AM
The "rough cut" is precisely why I do not use mulching mode, only bagging. The cut is not acceptable to me without the bag.

"... too much work," ???? What do you mean? Are you saying you don't have time to sharpen the blade every day, or every other day? Maintaining equipment in property working condition is part of the business. Sharpening the blade on a hand mower (take off, sharpen, remount) does not take more than five minutes. I always have at least one sharp blade as a spare, and cycle them at every blade change. Sharpening blades on a hand mower is a trivial task.

tomflan947
06-12-2008, 11:27 PM
you need to sharpen your blades evry 10hrs of use in spring and evry 20 in summer or when the grass is not growing

jrecords1971
06-13-2008, 05:10 PM
I had the same issue with the same mower yesterday, I stoped scraped the deck, and resumed. The cut was much better. The 21 doesn't get used too often!

Turfrific
06-13-2008, 05:33 PM
iv'e learned alot form this guy watching him on there should go check him out showed me how to sharpen a mower blade without removing it. think it's his how to repair a lawn boy, he has about 500 videos various stuff.

Turfrific
06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
my bad it's how to fix brigs part 2, daves farm shows how to sharpen a blade without removing it.

McGaw
06-13-2008, 07:18 PM
When I was younger, we had an electric mower at home, we didn't change or sharpen the blade at all, we had it for about 4 and a 1/2 years... Now I sharpen the blades once a month.

-Adam:canadaflag:

txgrassguy
06-13-2008, 07:59 PM
My crews sharpen blades no less than every ten hours of operation. Essentially every two days.
May not seem like much but with over sixteen mowers of different types/sizes in operation across 300 acres per week - it adds up.

topsites
06-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Every single day, it's part of daily maintenance, I spend a good hour on maintenance per day.
Grease the zerks, sharpen the blades, check tire pressures, check oil, check trailer lights, gas up, a few other things...
Unload today's equipment, re-load tomorrow's, what isn't needed stays, fix something that's broken, etc...
It becomes a routine, every day, just another part of the job.

Brand new blades I do let those go 20 cuts.

Grits
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I sharpen blades everyday. A sharp blade cuts better (duh) and allows you to cut faster. If this is what you do for a living, then sharpening blades is one of the most important things you do.

STIHL GUY
06-15-2008, 08:42 PM
they could be unballanced

dKoester
06-15-2008, 10:26 PM
Sharp blades help increase your engines life by not having much resistance when cutting. If you care about your machines you will sharpen your blades.

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 11:04 PM
I think everyone missed the most importaint point....

A dull blade will tear the turff, opening it up to all sorts of nasty issues.

it will yellow on top making it look very bad,

Dont give us all a bad name.... SHAPEN THOSE BALDES

Tapr Lawn Care
06-17-2008, 09:27 PM
check the air pressure in all your tires.. could be giving you a lobsided cut.