PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot ?

Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping
06-10-2008, 04:13 PM
Does Home Depot Sell anything worth Buying ? I hear alot about the Echo Line witch I bought a Trimmer a Blower and a Edger all from there all were 179 trimmer and the Blower and Edger 199 so what else is good to use from there anything some say nothing some say Walk Behinds. What do you all think ?:usflag:

bill8379
06-10-2008, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't even look at their mowers unless you barely going to use it, their snow blowers are crap too.

Carolina Cuts
06-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I buy shovels and rakes from there...
sometimes annuals for plantings.
oh, sometimes I buy spare nuts and bolts that I may need.
painted my trailer John Deere green.... got the paint from HD.
couple of lawn and garden books ....
my washer and dryer were from Lowes...
need play sand once.... HD.
irrigation supplies.... HD and Lowes...
PVC.... HD and Lowes...
gonna tile my kitchen.... Lowes....

bill8379
06-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Wood! I buy wood from Home Depot :laugh:

bakerc8
06-10-2008, 04:54 PM
what about there 0 turn jhon deeres?

shane mapes
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
it seems with most of us are new we tend to buy from hd. then we find ourselves replacing with better products once we have had to replace a few times . i guess it is o.k. to start with.

TomberLawn
06-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Don't even bother. Just for an example of comparison:
JD EZ425
23hp
54"
7-8.5mph (two specs given?)
Won't last 1500-2000hrs.
$3999

Actual used mower at local dealer:
Grasshopper 721D
21hp Diesel (more torque, less fuel)
60"
10mph
Suspension seat
2000 hrs on it, but will last that much longer
$3000

So, buying the used mower, you gain 6" cutting width, 1.5-3mph speed, powerful diesel engine, more comfortable operator station, and you save $1000. I know the used mower has 2000 hrs on it, but the Grasshoppers with Kubotas just keep on going.

A used commercial walkbehind mower can be found for less than $1000 and offer good productivity and longevity.

J&R Landscaping
06-10-2008, 06:43 PM

Heck no! That won't last very long at all for commercial use. Find a local dealer and give him some business.

I buy some paint from home depot, wood when needed and assorted hardware but thats mainly it. I get my plants from local nurseries or garden centers.

bohiaa
06-10-2008, 08:19 PM
Dont purchase any lawn equiptment form them....

GET A REAL WEEDEATER

P.S. there markup on wood is wayyyyy to much

93Chevy
06-10-2008, 08:24 PM
I hate buying from HD and Lowes, I try to support local family businesses as much as possible.

Don't buy any equipment, even IF they did have decent stuff, they won't remember your face if you walked outside and came right back in again. Go somewhere where when you walk in, they ask you how you're doing and actually mean it.

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 11:06 PM
i told you so about the HD mowers:nono::hammerhead::nono::hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::nono::nono::nono::hammerhead::ham merhead::hammerhead::nono::nono::nono:

jsw2008
06-11-2008, 12:45 AM
If you buy cheap equipment it just won't last. I've learned my lesson on this the hard way when I started out. I bought a Troy Bilt weedeater from Lowes with all the different attachements..trimmer, saw, edger, etc. Lasted 7 months before the power head died. So what did I do??? Since I had all the attachments already, I bought another powerhead. Lasted....6 months:laugh:. And nobody will repair this POS crappy equipment. So for $850 I got 1 year of use and nothing left that is usable. So I've learned my lesson and went to the Stihl dealer and bought a commercial trimmer and attachments for $850 that will last and can be repaired when it breaks down. The stuff at big box stores is not meant to be used on a daily basis and you do get what you pay for. If I bought commercial to begin with I could have saved hundreds of $$$

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 12:51 AM
If you buy cheap equipment it just won't last. I've learned my lesson on this the hard way when I started out. I bought a Troy Bilt weedeater from Lowes with all the different attachements..trimmer, saw, edger, etc. Lasted 7 months before the power head died. So what did I do??? Since I had all the attachments already, I bought another powerhead. Lasted....6 months:laugh:. And nobody will repair this POS crappy equipment. So for $850 I got 1 year of use and nothing left that is usable. So I've learned my lesson and went to the Stihl dealer and bought a commercial trimmer and attachments for $850 that will last and can be repaired when it breaks down. The stuff at big box stores is not meant to be used on a daily basis and you do get what you pay for. If I bought commercial to begin with I could have saved hundreds of $$$

he is right on the $$$$. great deals can be found on used commercial equipment too. be patient, youll find what you need.

Grits
06-11-2008, 01:40 AM
The Echo equipment is the same as you would get from a dealer. Echo is Echo, no matter where you buy it from. That being said: Don't buy your equipment from HD. Go to a dealer so when something does break down, you will have your dealer support to take care of you. Most of the time they will lend you whatever you need until they get yours fixed.

Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping
06-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Sounds like HD is crappy here..lol But the problem is that I have a HD Card with 4500 Credit Limite and I have ZERO dollars to spend on equipment for about a year..lol I want something I can make alittle money off of till then and BTW I bought my Toro Rideing Lawn Mower from there and it does just fine ? But either Or, I just have Credit at the moment so there isnt spending 600 or 400 on a used walk behind , So instead I need to figure out what I can get at HD that will help me GET STARTED. And thanks for the Replys all :) I appreciate it and all the help Great Forums when so many people respond ASAP :)

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 09:47 AM
the toro thats doing fine hasnt been put to the test yet. your not really cutting anything w/ it. that mower qould probably last years just cutting your yard, but it aint made for daily use, or one long day of mowing each week.

All_Toro_4ME
06-11-2008, 10:02 AM
I've bought some big green barrels, trimmer line, rakes and shovels from HD.

Hoppy's: In your case, it sounds like you are in a rush to get out and start mowing, get the equipment as soon as possible for the cheapest price, and start making dough. Theres more to this business then that. Thats the easy/headache free part. If you absolutely have to purchase from HD, check and see if they have any units that are refurbished and have been returned. They service them to make sure they run good before they sell them. It may still have some warranty left on them, but if you are using them commercially, you will void the warranty regardless. Make sure you can get accts and dependable customers that pay and on time before you drop $4500 on credit at Home Depot. Customers can be flaky one week, great the next, and gone after that. Good luck to you.

Gardens55
06-11-2008, 10:07 AM

Exactly. If you buy cheap rubbish you will have to buy it over and over again.

bjack312
06-11-2008, 10:38 AM
The Echo equipment is the same as you would get from a dealer. Echo is Echo, no matter where you buy it from. That being said: Don't buy your equipment from HD. Go to a dealer so when something does break down, you will have your dealer support to take care of you. Most of the time they will lend you whatever you need until they get yours fixed.

I was at Home Depot last night and walked thru the outdoor tools section. They carry the Echo PB-413 blower at a price of $319.99. My local dealer sells the same blower for $309.00 (retail).

Most times, the dealer will sell below the listed retail price and I will have great dealer support for years to come. Yet another reason to purchase from, and support, the local dealers.

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 10:41 AM
even if the price was slightly higher at the dealer id buy from him. he services what he sells and has pride in it. an echo dealer is gonna be pretty upset when you bring one in w/ a HD stamp on it for service. if i were a dealer i wouldnt touch it. id tell you that they sold, they can fix it.

bohiaa
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM

NOT TRUE, HD only has the girley line trimmers,

railman
06-11-2008, 01:44 PM
if you are going to buy from HD buy echo trimmers, edgers, blowers and whatever else echo they have. like one guy said echo is echo. its working fine for me and I cut 27 residential yards with them. 29 yards including my yard and my parents yard.

striper26
06-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Dont purchase any lawn equiptment form them....

GET A REAL WEEDEATER

P.S. there markup on wood is wayyyyy to much

What do you mean by "Get e real Weedeater"? I will admit HD'S customer service suks!

striper26
06-11-2008, 02:46 PM
if you are going to buy from HD buy echo trimmers, edgers, blowers and whatever else echo they have. like one guy said echo is echo. its working fine for me and I cut 27 residential yards with them. 29 yards including my yard and my parents yard.
I Couldn't have said it better myself, someone on here mentioned buy from your local Ma and Pa shop, well around here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, there's not a whole lot to choose from and they treat you by how big your business is, I service 26 accts, and I take a back seat to the big boys everytime I vist one of those MA and Pa stores!:nono::nono:

STIHL GUY
06-28-2008, 12:10 AM
if you buy the right stuff the first time it will save you money and be more reliable in the end so dont cheap out

bakerc8
06-28-2008, 09:35 PM
i got a troy bit 4 cycle and the thing ownes. i got it for graduating high school so i whanted an echo but this will last longer because its a 4 cycle but you never know. i think it whont but i brought it to my dealer and explaned what hapend and he under stood so he will servise it for me. i bought a still chain saw and blower from him along with a hond push mower and a recent used perches of a walk behind scag its fun to add all that to my f350.

RLLServicesCT
06-30-2008, 01:51 AM
GO TO LOWES to buy all your home improvement needs, Get your equipment at dealers who can give you a good price on equipment. Make friends- save money. Get a stihl not an echo

milkie62
06-30-2008, 02:47 AM
But if you check Echo prices at HD are the same from the local dealer.So buy from the local dealer

shane mapes
06-30-2008, 09:42 AM
But if you check Echo prices at HD are the same from the local dealer.So buy from the local dealer

TO SUPPORT THE MON AND POPS . ALSO YOU GET BETTER SERVICE FROM THE SMALL DEALERS.

freshprince94
06-30-2008, 09:57 AM
I was at Home Depot last night and walked thru the outdoor tools section. They carry the Echo PB-413 blower at a price of $319.99. My local dealer sells the same blower for $309.00 (retail).

Most times, the dealer will sell below the listed retail price and I will have great dealer support for years to come. Yet another reason to purchase from, and support, the local dealers.

This is very true. The markups at HD were about $20 more than the dealer.