PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Larger Mower

SHARPLAWN
06-10-2008, 06:19 PM
I have recently acquired some bigger lawns to manage ( around 1 acre). I need to buy a bigger mower (36 inches plus) and am wondering which one to go with. I have looked at a 36 inch scag walk-behind, a 50 inch cub cadet (but have heard bad things about their mowers/service), and also a 33 inch World Lawn walk-behind. Any suggestions on what mower to go with??? My budget tops out at around $3,500..... but would love to pay a lot less!!

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 08:03 PM
no experience w/ the cub, but loved my scags. keep an eye on ebay.

TPendagast
06-10-2008, 08:53 PM
IF those are your choices, buy the scag.

A 36" belt drive walk behind will go for about $3100
Cub is homeowner/home deopot-ish
World 33" never heard of it, and I am a mower buff, so that's like richard petty never having heard of some engine you are talking about.

Chances are if I haven't heard of it, dont bother.

I actually spent 3 months pricing 36 inch units lately. Save yourself the time and buy a scag.

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 08:59 PM
IF those are your choices, buy the scag.

A 36" belt drive walk behind will go for about $3100
Cub is homeowner/home deopot-ish
World 33" never heard of it, and I am a mower buff, so that's like richard petty never having heard of some engine you are talking about.

Chances are if I haven't heard of it, dont bother.

I actually spent 3 months pricing 36 inch units lately. Save yourself the time and buy a scag.

what he said, EXCEPT: dont get stuck on scag. toro and exmark make awesome mowers too. see what dealer you have. dealers are important. i think i am one of the few that is not in the mindset that only one mower (the one i have) is any good. these 3 are built to the industry standard. and there are other good mowers out there. i love scags, but have a butthole of a dealer, so i dont buy. i love my exmark too. and when i had the toro i was very pleased. they are all very closely designed machines. the dealer makes the difference in my book. any dealer can sell the mower, but it aint worth a crap if they wont stand behind it.

TPendagast
06-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I assumed he did no mention exmark/toro or others because he did not locat dealers.

In my hometown the only commercial mower dealers sell Huskie mowers (blah!) and snapper (good 21's bad everything else) or Ferris (double blah)
So I go look or what I want.

However I would buy whatever was in my town if it was acceptable.

John deere makes a great machine, everride is an increbible unit, I would buy one of I didnt have to drive 800 miles to get one.

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 09:25 PM
look for good used stuff. ive found mowers that lasted years for $200-$600. im not talkin crap either im talkin good commercial machines that someone needed money more than the mowers.

lifetree
06-10-2008, 09:34 PM
... I have looked at a 36 inch scag walk-behind, a 50 inch cub cadet (but have heard bad things about their mowers/service), and also a 33 inch World Lawn walk-behind. ...

The World Lawn is no good, stay away from it !! Of the choices you mention, Scag is the best ... however, have you considerd a Quick 36 WB ??

dura to the max
06-10-2008, 09:38 PM
gotta agree w/ lifetree %100. check out the quick mowers. great start-up machine, and good quality machine that will be useful later. i think it would be foolish to by a mower to just get by, buy long term, the quick mower is not a cheap "get-by" mower. its a commercial mower that will give you years of service. and it will be great as you grow.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Forget the scag...
For lawns around 1 acre, you might want to look into the Quick 44. If you want something versatile for all lawns, the Quick 36 (though 1 acre will be a lot of back and forth with it).
Get at least the 15HP Kaw or better the 16Kaw. Any of these options will run you under $3K.

Shaun13
06-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Quick 44 samauri with step saver, mulch kit, and plate was $3400. Just came in on monday and it's true what they say about the great people at better outdoor. Can't hardly beat the value for the money.

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 10:51 AM
the quick 44" samuri sounds like a great mower. how would you feel about it being a primary mower though?

Shaun13
06-11-2008, 11:02 AM
Seeing as I just got it I can't say much yet but from what I've seen so far I have no reason to believe it couldn't be. That being said this is my first year in business so I by no means consider myself an expert on the subject.

bill8379
06-11-2008, 02:13 PM
For what it's worth,

When I bought my first large mower, I bought a "36 Toro. I made a mistake though, the 36 still wouldn't fit through most of my gates and where the 36 shined, a 48 would have shined even better.

I would buy a 48.

dura to the max
06-11-2008, 03:14 PM
For what it's worth,

When I bought my first large mower, I bought a "36 Toro. I made a mistake though, the 36 still wouldn't fit through most of my gates and where the 36 shined, a 48 would have shined even better.

I would buy a 48.

he's right, it takes forever to cut any size area w/ a 36". a 48" aint that much more. get a 48" and have a push mower for now. if gates become a problem get a 32" quick.

trulawnscape
06-12-2008, 01:40 AM
When I started I was lookin in the 3500 range as well I could't find anything with low hours and in decent shape that sported the toro, JD, or exmark tag. However I found a 50" Simplicity Champion 20hp B&S vtwin for 3200 and the thing is amazing it is in between residential and commercial, built very strong and havn't had any problems. Check it out might be somethin for you to look into

punt66
06-12-2008, 08:13 PM
My dealer is carrying encore now because he got a great deal on them. Brand new 48" belt encore premier WB $2200! Go bigger that 36!