PDA

View Full Version : Stone-a-green super lawn truck for 2002.

lawrence stone
01-01-2002, 11:12 AM
In order to say no a trailer (except for when need a 62” mower) I am building the ultimate low budget super lawn truck.

The new lawn truck is sort of like my old lawn truck (c1500 HD) expect for I am adding a custom made 3ft (vs. the normal 2ft) pickup bed extender, used in conjunction with a ramp gate. Then I am adding 2ft high wooden sides and front. A custom roll up steel door
Is going to be the roof and secure the equipment when not being used.

I don’t feel the 3 ft extension will be too big of a burden on the rear suspension of the truck since there won’t be all that much weight back that far. Per my calculations the drive wheel of the second walk behind (mid size Toro) will be just be off the regular truck bed on the beginning of the add on extension.

With this set up I will be able to carry a Power Plugger, a 21” mower, the 32” stone-a-green spreader sprayer mower with a sulky, and a 52” with a sulky. Plus all the needed hand held two cycle equipment, hand tools, hand spreaders, can sprayers and gas cans etc.

Along the front I am going to make a shelf that will hold 5 plastic buckets up to 7.5 gallons with lids that will hold seed, fertilizers, treflan, penn mulch etc.

The extension makes towing my 5.5 x 12 open a poor idea but I have a boat trailer I can make a bed and sides to haul my 62” mower. The tongue on the boat trailer is so long it will clear the bed extension.

Comments welcome.

http://www.handyramp.com/page9.html

HOMER
01-01-2002, 11:16 AM
Won't this interfere with your southern tour?

Sounds like a pretty good project for ya.

bob
01-01-2002, 12:53 PM
I'd add some kind of leaf spring booster. Thats a lot of extra weight to be carring around every day.

dmk395
01-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Lawrence,

I am all for it. I don't like pulling a trailer either, seems easier to have everything in one place, quicker to drive, park etc. Plus it will save on registration fees and excise tax for the trailer, which in the great state of Taxachusetts is noticeable.

BRIAN GALLO
01-01-2002, 02:51 PM
Stone,

The idea of a trailerless lawn service is appealing - especially on those tight neighborhoods with no cul-de-sac. Did you ever check out those Isuzu snub nose trucks with the landscape trailer-style back end? They are big bucks, but look like the ticket to me! Maybe you can check them out for some ideas on modifying your rig.

lawrence stone
01-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by HOMER
Won't this interfere with your southern tour?

Sounds like a pretty good project for ya.

No this is a March project. I have to order the bed extension now.

Originally posted by bob
I'd add some kind of leaf spring booster. Thats a lot of extra weight to be carring around every day.

I guess it will be about 1700 lbs + passengers. I have rear shocks with overload springs with 30.5" LT tires with a 4.10 limited slip rear axle so power is not a problem.

Originally posted by dmk395
Lawrence,

I am all for it. I don't like pulling a trailer either, seems easier to have everything in one place, quicker to drive, park etc. Plus it will save on registration fees and excise tax for the trailer, which in the great state of Taxachusetts is noticeable.

A trailer under 3000 gross is $6 to register in PA for a year with no state inpection needed either.

The side board area of 2 x 11 feet gives room for some large vinyl graphics.

With my set up I can mow a 2k or 200k property. For suburban lawns the 32" bags the clippings around the pool. Then the clippings are dumped into the front yard then the 52" mulches the clippings to nothing. All lawn debris is recycled for there is little room for debris in the truck.

Randy Scott
01-01-2002, 10:36 PM
That is going to be one great unit when it's all done. Take photos!

johnnywalker
01-01-2002, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone
In order to say no a trailer (except for when need a 62” mower) I am building the ultimate low budget super lawn truck.

Comments welcome.

Why?
I run 6' & 8' trailers with drop gates front (for 21" access), & rear, on long & shortbed compacts in small res areas. Trailer allways clears neighbors drive when parked. 2 cycles & misc. junk in the truck beds or on Trimmertraps, mowers in trailers. Quick load, unload, compact sizes.
Guys running tailgate ramps out of beds allways seem to be fighting for space & slow to load&unload.

fivestarlawnken
01-01-2002, 11:51 PM
Sounds like a good idea.I hope it works for you in 2002.Keep us updated.My only sugestion is if there are springs on the side to lock or assist you in loading, have a spare. We have the gates for our trucks and they seem to go through springs on the back.This may be totally different then what you're getting ..Have fun.

thelawnguy
01-02-2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by johnnywalker
Why?

I had this discussion with Mr Stone last week. There is a huge untapped market in many of the older urban areas for lawn care, one of the big problems is that these properties were originally set up back in the days before automobiles and parking was an afterthought. It is just down right impossible to service these properties with a trailer when there is 40' property frontage (less 7' driveway width) and there are cars parked on both sides of the street. With a small self-contained non articulating vehicle you could pull behind these properties without fear of being boxed in like a turtles you-know-what.

David Haggerty
01-02-2002, 09:54 AM
I used to work in the winter delivering small trucks for a leasing company. A lot of those trips were to a truck frame and spring shop. It don't cost as much as you might think. With the frame stretched, you wouldn't have a problem with that "tailgate weight." Just something to think about. Good luck with your truck.
Dave

MSYardman
01-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Where do you plan to put your debris? Just curious.

kris
01-02-2002, 12:01 PM
We too are wanting to have a crew without a trailer . .. I booked marked the link and will have a closer look later. The real thing that concerns me is that I don't want it looking tacky. We have a 3/4 ton that I would like to take the box off and put some kind of flat deck, sides and ramp.

lawrence stone
01-02-2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by MSYardman
Where do you plan to put your debris? Just curious.

The question about surburban debris was answered in my original post.

When it comes to the really tight "in town" jobs I leave the 52" home and add another 21". I have a total of 6 five bushel cloth baggers for the 32" and a couple of 44 gal square roller plastic garbage cans for 21" debris.

Plus I have a 44" with a kohler magnum that can be added to the mix. I can take a 44 and a 52 out to surbubia if there are no gates to worry about or use a 32 and a 44 "in town".

lawrence stone
01-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by kris
We too are wanting to have a crew without a trailer . .. I booked marked the link and will have a closer look later. The real thing that concerns me is that I don't want it looking tacky. We have a 3/4 ton that I would like to take the box off and put some kind of flat deck, sides and ramp.

You need to add a beavertail when you are higher than the top of the tires. Bascially a 6.5x12' open ramp gate trailer less tongue, fenders, wheels, tires, and axle with a beavertail.

Leave access on one side of the body to be able to load and carry up to two skids.

A 8600 gross p/u is a good foundation for the above.

cantoo
01-02-2002, 10:21 PM
I have a 5hp MTD chipper shredder that is about 3' square, it will reduce any clippings or lawn crap and you could put it in the beds if needed.

BRIAN GALLO
01-06-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by lawrence stone

For suburban lawns the 32" bags the clippings around the pool. Then the clippings are dumped into the front yard then the 52" mulches the clippings to nothing.

Stone, don't the customers get mad when they see you dumping 4 cu. ft. of clippings on the front lawn??? How many times do you have to go over that to disperse it in to the turf? Just wondering.