PDA

View Full Version : What you don't want to see at 8am

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-11-2008, 06:12 AM
Guy said he had a hydraulic system. Spent 2500 last year with another company and they didn't get him going again. 40 year old at least all copper system. Left the water shut off all winter so the piston diaphragms dried out. I told him you'd be better just getting a new system but he lives in a tear down house and is just trying to spend as little as possible. Will spend more fixing this thing in the long run. Anyway we had to work this piston a few times to finally get it to shut off after it came on.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-11-2008, 06:18 AM
Henry's redo of the three way solenoid mess. How many 24 year olds can tackle this? Henry loves the challenge of working on systems that are twice his age. He'll take old valves home and tear them apart and study every feature.

How about that root growing through the nozzle?

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-11-2008, 06:23 AM
My newest gig. Picked up a cemetery. It has mostly bucket heads and the tombstones block a lot of water. I'm going to slowly convert it to 12" rotors. Rainbow wires for the mnemonic inclined. How about that crappy rain sensor locate?

LawnVet
06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Is all copper a common TX setup? I'd pull all of that copper out, replace with poly and sell the copper for scrap. You'd probably make some decent coin with commodity prices what they are.
I do like that sensor setup. The scrub that installed it probably put it there so he could enjoy the shade while working. If you look hard enough you may find his old 6-pack buried under the bush as well.

DanaMac
06-11-2008, 07:34 AM
Is all copper a common TX setup? I'd pull all of that copper out, replace with poly and sell the copper for scrap. You'd probably make some decent coin with commodity prices what they are.

Ironically, (sorry to thread jack) we had a PVB stolen from a site sometime in the last couple weeks. One of my guys turned the system on a couple weeks ago, small office building. They called over the weekend saying it didn't look like it had been watered. He showed up yesterday and the PVB and copper were torn out. Funny though, he said the water was turned off from the inside, and nobody at the office recalls turning it off.

Some meth head turning it in for scrap.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I do like that sensor setup. The scrub that installed it probably put it there so he could enjoy the shade while working. If you look hard enough you may find his old 6-pack buried under the bush as well.

Pre '65 systems had copper used a lot. During the Korean war they switched to galvanize. I won't touch a galvanized system. I was wondering how you would come out by installing a new system hand digging out the copper and installing new lines in the same ditches.

Wet_Boots
06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
I never had to repair any of those old piston valves. What's the make? Buckner?

DanaMac
06-11-2008, 08:41 AM
How about that root growing through the nozzle?

I always show the homeowner those so they get a good laugh and understand some of the little things we find.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Nice to see a Imperial clock still in service.

BrandonV
06-11-2008, 11:19 AM
copper would be nice it must be super nice to just hook a locator to the pipe system and be able to locate all the pipes.

Wet_Boots
06-11-2008, 11:24 AM
copper would be nice it must be super nice to just hook a locator to the pipe system and be able to locate all the pipes.Of course, an all-copper hydraulic system wouldn't 'show' the valves, if they weren't visibly marked.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-11-2008, 10:44 PM
I never had to repair any of those old piston valves. What's the make? Buckner?

That's a Moody. Febco made the same valve. Used to be able to buy the piston repair kit (That is what Henry is holding) Then they jacked the price up to 120.00 which killed the market and now they get cut out. The original piston Diaphragm was a giant hunk of rubber.

Wet_Boots
06-11-2008, 11:02 PM
Moody would have been my second guess, after Buckner/Febco - interesting, simple design, with a control chamber that's larger in diameter than the seat area. No springs needed, probably.