PDA

View Full Version : duramax diesel block heater

mdb landscaping
01-01-2002, 02:23 PM
i have a 2002 chevy 2500Hd duramax. i know a lot of you bought them, so i was wondering if you could help me out. i located the block heater plug above the engine mount and undid the bundle it was in. i found that the cord is too short, and i cant go to the spot in the grill i want. right now i have the plug right next to the front headlight, but id like to put it lower on the grill. anybody have this problem? is there somewheres else where i can unbundle more so i can make it reach? any comments appreicated.

CT18fireman
01-01-2002, 07:52 PM
Hey MDB if it is the standard type cord that block heaters have I may be able to help. I have taken them off of lots of trucks. I have them in many different lengths up to 6ft I think. Let me know if you want one and I will see what I have tomorrow.

mdb landscaping
01-01-2002, 08:11 PM
thanks jesse. ill let you know if i need one. i have a few buddies who have the duramax, so im going to see what they did, but if i need it, ill let you know.

bob
01-01-2002, 08:33 PM
Yea I noticed the same thing. You would think that GM would make an outlet in the grill, so you could just plug an extention cord right in.

bob
01-02-2002, 05:42 PM
I looked at mine today. It looks like its connected right into the wiring harness. Another location to get access is through the wheel well. This way the hood can remain shut while the heater is on.

cat320
01-02-2002, 09:00 PM
Why not just go to the hardware store and get a wire and make what ever lenght cord you need and then you can slide the wire thru the grill then at the end of winter you can disconect and wrap it up.It's just a regular house cord like in my 6.5.

mdb landscaping
01-02-2002, 09:29 PM
you just said exactly what i was thinking. tomorrow im going to a place called cables and connectors, and im going to have them make me a couple of inch extension or so. thank you for all your replies.

thelawnguy
01-02-2002, 10:23 PM
The heater runs 1500w so just use a 6' ac extension cord, I dont understand what the deal is?

The block heater on my Dodge, the original routing left just enough to reach the grille, I went cut all the ties to the frame etc and rerouted it so it now comes out under the bumper if I ever need it. (Gas truck).

mdb landscaping
01-03-2002, 12:36 PM
what dont you get? gm doesnt provide enough cable to reach the grill. i went the most direct route to the front, and it will only get to stick out the headlight. i need 5 more inches to reach the first spot in the grille. i picked up an extension today at Cables and Connectors in Newington. if you ever need a place to get cables Bill, that is the place to get it.

ffemt1271
06-01-2003, 12:23 AM
I MADE AN EXTENSION AND RAN IT TO A KUSSMAUL AUTO EJECTOR IN THE SPACE N THE FRONT BUMPER. WHEN I START THE ENGING IT AUTOMATICALLY DISCONNECTS THE CORD