PDA

View Full Version : what depth to install under asphalt?

dvlscape
06-11-2008, 09:39 AM
We will be installing a small 2 zone irrigation system for the entrance beds of a corporate center.

We have to saw cut about 150' of asphalt and drill through 2 curbs to bring water to the system we will be installing. Is there an ideal depth? I'm thinking around 12-16". We are located in southeast PA if that matters and the line will have a shut off and a blow out.

DanaMac
06-11-2008, 09:42 AM
We will be installing a small 2 zone irrigation system for the entrance beds of a corporate center.

We have to saw cut about 150' of asphalt and drill through 2 curbs to bring water to the system we will be installing. Is there an ideal depth? I'm thinking around 12-16". We are located in southeast PA if that matters and the line will have a shut off and a blow out.

12"-16" is fine, but install a sleeve and run the pipe in that.

Dennis Spencer
06-12-2008, 12:40 AM
Have someone come in and bore it and they will pull a sleeve back through.

irritation
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM
Have someone come in and bore it and they will pull a sleeve back through.

I agree, no sense in cutting asphalt.

instyle
06-12-2008, 01:09 AM
Yep, bore it. Way faster!

WalkGood
06-12-2008, 01:23 AM
How do you bore 150 FEET (one hundred fifty feet) under asphalt?

Dig a hole every 15 - 20 feet and shoot under? That won't look very nice.

lowvolumejeff
06-12-2008, 02:26 AM
Just had a 2" and a 1" sleeve (pulled together, side by side) done . They did 180 feet under asphalt, trees and thru rock terrain for about $10 a foot. Their bore tip is directionally monitored and guided, so they could stay at any depth you determine. Heck, they even dug valve box holes to the sleeve depth where ever I indicated - included in the price. The conduit is Teflon lined, which make pulling wire or pushing PVC way easier. I contract with a local cable puller used by the utility companies and cable providers.
Jeff

dvlscape
06-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I was not aware that a lenth of 150' could be bored, without digging access holes at intervals, I will look into this locally.

lowvolumejeff
06-13-2008, 03:17 PM
Just checked with the company I used. They have three different sized machines, and depending on soil conditions and ease of acess, they can go up to 1000 feet. Price with a 2 inch teflon coated sleeve is $13 a foot.

WalkGood
06-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Just checked with the company I used. They have three different sized machines, and depending on soil conditions and ease of acess, they can go up to 1000 feet. Price with a 2 inch teflon coated sleeve is $13 a foot.

Sub it out to this company. Sit back and take pictures before during and after. Take some video too. We all like to see pics and video.

dvlscape
06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
I checked with local commercial plumbers and everyone in the yellowbook under "drilling and boring" and came up with absolutely no one that does boring. I feel like I am barking up the wrong tree. Should I contact the utility companies and try and get someone to pass on who they use??? arghh If I don't figure this out soon we will be cuttin and patchin

lowvolumejeff
06-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I had similar difficulty finding companies to do this work. I found a company that mainly works with cable companies and power utilities. I located them thru our power company. Keep at it, and post your results. Jeff

irritation
06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
I checked with local commercial plumbers and everyone in the yellowbook under "drilling and boring" and came up with absolutely no one that does boring. I feel like I am barking up the wrong tree. Should I contact the utility companies and try and get someone to pass on who they use??? arghh If I don't figure this out soon we will be cuttin and patchin

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=directional%20boring%20%20philadelphia%2C%20pa&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Mdirrigation
06-13-2008, 09:49 PM
call the local ditch witch , or vemeere dealer and get a name of one of their customers that owns a drill rig

dvlscape
06-16-2008, 11:30 PM
The only route that got any results was from contacting the dealers, vermeer and ditch witch. the vermeer sales guy was very helpful and hooked me up with 2 guys. The both seem really good. one came in at 12 per foot and another at 10.50 . that includes putting a 2" sleeve in and some kind of string so I can pull my poly pipe back through. Thanks MD and others. I will let you know how it goes and maybe post some pics.

DanaMac
06-16-2008, 11:42 PM
Whatta ya know. The irrigators were actually helpful for once :laugh:

nylan8888
06-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Whatta ya know. The irrigators were actually helpful for once :laugh:

It was a mistake and we'll try not to let it happen again.:hammerhead: