PDA

View Full Version : Trailer size?

RyanCanMow
01-01-2002, 01:37 PM
I currently run a 6'4" x 16' bumper pull trailer with 2 exmark 48" Lazers, and a 36"wb. I would like to purchase a 60" Lazer this year, but the problem is that I can't fit a 60", 48", and 36" on the trailer at the same time. I need all three mowers during the day. I have found a gooseneck 8' x 20' w/4' dovetail that has tandem axles, with single wheels (total of 4 tires). It is in great condition but only needs sides and a paint job. It has two 7500# axles. The trailer is $2,250. Sounds good to me, considering a new one is around $4,100. This would give me so much more room I believe. I also have looked at running another crew, but I know the cost will be more than running a larger trailer. Let me know what ya'll think! Thanks!

Ryan

XOFMOT
01-01-2002, 01:55 PM
RYAN,
The only downfalls to running a gooseneck of that size with a dovetail is (1)- You are now going to loose "BED" space in your tow vehicle. (2)- Parking. thats a good size trailer to lug around all day. (3)- Tow vehicle, a trailer of that size I'm sure weighs a lot more than a "LANDSCAPE" trailer. (4)- With a dovetail, your approach and departure angles are reduced on those steep driveways you may have. Why not keep the trailer you have and "RAMP" the 36 or the 48 into the bed of the truck from the trailer. This should free up some VALUABLE space on the trailer. Good luck!

plow kid
01-01-2002, 02:33 PM
I hope that you have a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to pull with because you will be over your GCWR with a 1/2 ton, could lead to fines if you had a accident.

lawrence stone
01-01-2002, 02:39 PM
If you load the 36 across the trailer that gives you 13ft for 2 ztrs.

When does a 60 and 48 mid mount require more than 13 ft?

sheppard
01-01-2002, 05:06 PM
Trade in your WB for a Wright Stander. Solves a bunch of problems.

Cordially,
Sheppard

cantoo
01-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Build an upper level for the 36" on the front of the trailer one of the 48"'s can go under it. Lots of room then.

fivestarlawnken
01-01-2002, 11:08 PM
Personally i like CANTOOS idea and XOFMOT idea.I have seen guys with the mower on the front of trailer on a ramp system.Would side gates work? The goose neck is a good idea but i think it may be overkill esp. on the truck and bed space.Good luck.:cool:

Highpoint
01-01-2002, 11:36 PM
Buy the the trailer! You'll love it! We run a 22' Goose and have for 12 years. You'll learn the ins and outs quickly. Just plan on getting good at backing up. You will probably find yourself in some sticky situations when you turn down a side street and find there is not enough room. Good Luck!

Shady Brook
01-01-2002, 11:38 PM
I am looking into a goose neck in the future for the same resasons that you are. Like the other fellas said, better be sure your truck is up for the task, 3/4 ton or better. It will pretty much make your truck bet useless, which is ok if you do not take grass. Will make dealing with tight in city turns very interesting, to say the least. Also make sure, even with the dove tail, that you can get your mowers up on top without bottoming out. Dove tail or not, I hear they hang up on a deck over. One fella on the site made a great hindged double tail gate on his dove tail, looks like a super design. If you turn your 36 sideways like Lawrence said, you may be able to get by with your current set up.

The price does sound pretty good to me.
Hope you find whats best for you.
Jay