PDA

View Full Version : Providing Florida native plants for landscaping

Nobletoad
06-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Anybody got any insights into offering natives? I'm in Florida and it seems like a good thing to do, but I don't know if its just a feel-good thing or if there is enough interest among customers to justify expanding the line. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful.

oceanpotion
07-02-2008, 06:48 PM
maybe silver buttonwood, gumbo limbo, sea grapes, palms, coco plums...

Nobletoad
07-02-2008, 06:55 PM
Very cool suggestions. many thanks!

CkLandscapingOrlando
08-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I have a book with over 200 landscape worthy natives.You could also contact someone like Biosphere which is one of the native growers around.I like the passion vine which is the host plant for several butterflies and the Lantana both the native and exotic which is a nector plant for sevral butterflies.Canna,thatch palm,cabbage palm,and salvia are just some of them.If you need you need any help or advice I would love to try help you out.Where are you located

treegal1
08-02-2008, 01:38 PM
A simple google search will yield a whole list of suppliers and associations that will help you, the FNNA is a good start!!

in most Florida county's there is a 60 % native plant requirement, and a 100% native yard is not hard to do, and yes it sells, no doubt about it!!!!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=238569&page=3