PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started up

golfatsage
06-11-2008, 03:35 PM
I am trying to get my pond business up and running can yall give me suggestions. I have created a website and would take any kind of recommendations and/or advice.

Here is the link:

www.crawldog.com/aikenbackyardponds/

Thanks for your help!

MowHouston
06-21-2008, 02:33 AM
I would recommend (for your website) getting your own domain. Since it looks like you have some grasp of HTML, you should look for a host that has Joomla. You can download nice looking templates and your site will be uniform and professional looking.

I used Hostgator.com. Pay $9.95/mo. It will cost $15 per year to set up and maintain your domain. If you select the Baby Package (I think thats what its called) and enter the code JURY, you can get your first month free.

This will give you a more professional look.

Joomla has a very easy website development interface that is easy to learn. My little sister could do it.

As far as your content goes, I wouldn't go off telling people you are new to the business unless they ask. The offer to do it for only the cost of materials is nice, but why do it for free just for a few pictures. You could buy stock photos and put them on there to catch people's eyes if you can do the work.

You're basically working for free for your next three customers. Up to you though.

Try Craigslist.org to get some free advertising also.

Good luck.

golfatsage
06-21-2008, 10:44 AM
Thank you. I have actually been looking into a real website but just havent done it yet. I agree on the free labor comment, I was just trying to find a way to post some pictures of my ponds.

I will play around with it a little this weekend, thanks again for the help.

Venturewest
06-21-2008, 06:07 PM
I think you must want honest answers since you posted your request here.
I would ditch the website completely.

You need to ask yourself a few questions first if you are going to invest your time and energy into a pond business.

1. Why do you want to start a pond business.

2. What qualifications, skills, education, or aptitude will allow you to charge clients for building ponds.

If you are going to start a portfolio of photos, I believe they should be reflective of what you can do. If the photo of the only pond you have done, is a good representation of what you can offer, than I would pursue more training first before you charge.

Don't be discouraged, but if you really love this stuff, and know you want to do this for a career, then get some training.

Savio offers great training. Aquascapes, (even though it gets a bad rap sometimes) taught me an incredible amount in one Advanced build a pond.
If you go to some training, build a practice pond or two, then you might be ready. You also may want to focus on maintenance at first. There is good money to be made by cleaning, servicing and repairing bad water features.
You also learn what works well, and what doesn't work.

I have been to more pond building training than I have actually built features.
But I feel incredibly confident now that I can build as nice a feature as most anyone locally. If you have aptitude then with some training you can too.

buzzyng
06-23-2008, 10:59 PM
Wish you the best of luck. I started by building one at my house and one for a friend. After that, attend several training BAP events and then went to Aquascapes Pondemonium for a week long training event. From there, I just started building features and getting better every time. Always learning (other contractors) to keep up with the latest.

I showed pictures of what could be done and did not try to pass off others work as my own. Explained that we were a new company but used high quality components and will work with the customer to make sure we deliver everything they want. Three years later, we are doing better than ever

DASWJEFFERY
07-02-2008, 02:55 PM
Hey, I posted a just getting started post too, but havent recived any replies yet, but I read this one, and was wandering about the classes. Where would I find the classes, or info on them, and what kind of price range would I be looking at.

Venturewest
07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
try going to howgoodcanyouget.com

It is Savios website and has a list of the cities that the build a pond or waterfalls, will be held in.

Also, see if you have a local pond supply retailer. Sometimes they hold their own classes.

You may have to travel to another city if you really want to get serious into it. Also do some searches. There are a ton of other threads on the same subject.

Last thing, there are several water feature related magazines that are free that you can subscribe to. Water Garden News, Watershapes, and there are some more. I get them every month.

Hope that helps.

DASWJEFFERY
07-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanx that helps alot.

sheltervalley
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Our of curiosity, does anyone know of these pond building clinics in Canada? I'm from just outside of Toronto.