PDA

View Full Version : Well for irrigation system

dave k
06-11-2008, 05:02 PM
What all is involved in putting in a well and installling it in an existing irrigation system, Does the well need to be close by the tie in at the street?
Any help is appreciated
Also do you need a exterior pump and tank or is the pump in the well good enough.
Dave

k911lowe
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
What all is involved in putting in a well and installling it in an existing irrigation system, Does the well need to be close by the tie in at the street?
Any help is appreciated
Also do you need a exterior pump and tank or is the pump in the well good enough.
Dave

it depends on the well depth and the size of the pump.ours is 250 ft down and we have a 1 1/2 hp pump that will irrigate 2 1/2 acres with no problem.i hope that helps.each pump is rated at a certain GPM.i sure a well digger will tell you.

AI Inc
06-11-2008, 05:07 PM
Well can be tied into the system anywhere along the mainline. 2 types of wells ( well actualy more but 2 common types) are point or driven well and a drilled well.
Can either be run on a pressure tank set up or a pump start relay .

Wet_Boots
06-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Any help is appreciated
DaveFor an existing system, you have to isolate the city water from the sprinkler system through an RPZ backflow preventer, if you are going to pump ground water through the sprinklers.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Any help is appreciated

Buzz off, whoops, wrong thread. Seriously, if you are on city or P.U.D. water,
you may not be allowed to drill. Get a grip on how much water you are going
to need, State regs are getting picky about use. Find a good driller, they'll
have "well logs" of the area to tell you how deep they need to go.
I like wells, but they require some thought & design. Check the other thread
concerning wells. :)

k911lowe
06-11-2008, 05:15 PM
For an existing system, you have to isolate the city water from the sprinkler system through an RPZ backflow preventer, if you are going to pump ground water through the sprinklers.

i am sure the water guy will be on your ass(donkey)telling you that too.some require two.there are no regs for overprotection.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 05:36 PM
there are no regs for overprotection.

Our purveyor requires a RP & twice yearly testing.

k911lowe
06-11-2008, 05:38 PM
Our purveyor requires a RP & twice yearly testing.

wow,we just have a guy.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
wow,we just have a guy.

Eat your heart out.:rolleyes:

AI Inc
06-11-2008, 06:44 PM
In these parts one has to cap the city supply side , no cross connection no matter how its protected.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 06:53 PM
In these parts one has to cap the city supply side , no cross connection no matter how its protected.

Wow! That's a cross-connection no b.s. program, tho RP is high hazard.
Is there a reason? Is it state-wide?

Wet_Boots
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Wow! That's a cross-connection no b.s. program, tho RP is high hazard.
Is there a reason? Is it state-wide?That would be a realistic policy if they aren't bothering to have the RPZs inspected on any regular basis.

dave k
06-12-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks, I knew it would have to be taken off the main water line, I'll check with the water dept. to see if one can be installed, especially since its in a S.D.
Dave

Waterit
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM
How do wells fit in with Georgia's drought problems and water restrictions?

Hard to believe they're allowing irrigation wells when there are only certain days you can wash your car.

dave k
06-13-2008, 07:29 PM
The way it stands is, if you have a well your exempt, since you're not using the water from the reservoir or lakes.

dave k
06-13-2008, 07:31 PM
How do wells fit in with Georgia's drought problems and water restrictions?

Hard to believe they're allowing irrigation wells when there are only certain days you can wash your car.
PS: We can't wash our cars, there is just a certain time you can use a hose to water, but not with sprinklers, the drought is getting bad now. The mid west is getting flooded and we can't buy a drop of rain!