PDA

View Full Version : Still picking up customers anyone?

Liendeni
06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Ya, I know there are some of you salty dogs out there that have more work than they can handle....so this thread is more geared towards the new guys like myself who are still trying to add new customers.

Anybody having any luck adding customers this late in the season....June?

I picked up three last week and I just picked up three more (in a the same subdivision....in a row) yesterday. No, this isn't a post to say, "look at me"...but I've heard a lot of talk on here about it is to late in the mowing season to be trying to advertise and grab customers.

I'm still having pretty good success. Anybody else having good or bad success this late?

k911lowe
06-11-2008, 04:45 PM
yup.one or two a week for clean out then maintenance.

bakerc8
06-11-2008, 04:48 PM
I Got One The Other Day And Im Still Advertising

MJS
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Two last week, and bidding on 4 jobs this week. It really hasn't slowed down for me yet. . . We'll see about July.

I am at the top of the list for several real estate agents, and they throw stuff my way all summer long, so I can expect a bunch from them every month throughout the summer.

billslawn89
06-11-2008, 04:58 PM
hopefully, i will be adding more clients to my list, even though its june, but this is the beginning of the rainy season here. and people don't want to cut their grass when its smoking hot out. most times i'll get them to sign up for a yearly contract, but otherwise been steady. :dancing:

therealdeal412
06-11-2008, 05:26 PM
I just put an ad on craigslist today, hoping to get a few more customers

jsw2008
06-11-2008, 05:33 PM
I'm still picking up extra work from my regular customers( mulch, hedge trimming, etc) that is extra money and still get occasional referrals or calls from old clients. So all in all, I'm staying busy.

Lawn-Sharks
06-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Yup! picked up2 last week on the same block.

Liendeni
06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Sounds like everyone is still gathering customers. That is strange because most of the threads on here are "doom and gloom" type threads. About how hard it is....to late to advertise....and gas is to high to make any money in this business anymore. Glad to see some of you are staying busy and still gaining more customers. keep it up!

PushingupDaisies
06-11-2008, 06:15 PM
k, so now the real question.....How are you guys getting new customers? Whats the trick? I think I am going down to get truck magnets today. What has worked?

MowHouston
06-11-2008, 06:21 PM
Getting about 10-15 a week.

SOS Landscaping
06-11-2008, 06:57 PM
pretty much at a stand still here. Ive done a lot of advertising, got magnets on sides and back of my truck, me and my guy where company t-shirts with our number on it, every yard we do has a sign on the loan, handed out door hangers, even giving some incentives to customers right like refer us to 4-5neighbors and get your loan cut for free for the year, tried a craigslist add and not one response... Not sure what else.. people keep telling me once it gets hot out no one wants to cut their lawn anymore and then ill start getting more

DanDodge
06-11-2008, 07:22 PM
Picked up one last week. I'm hoping the heat will net me some more customers as well. Just made up 500 "Too hot to mow?" door hangers to start dropping tomorrow. Really hoping we don't get hit with another drought again this year.

Dan

iMOW LAWNCARE
06-11-2008, 07:40 PM
I picked up 3 last week, and that pretty much puts me at max. I have a full time job with the water company in town, and mowing 2 days a week with 20 acounts matches what i make at the water co.

Lately I've been getting new accounts from word of mouth.

JohnnyRoyale
06-11-2008, 07:44 PM
This is the best time of year to pick up customers...just answer the phone. i'm amazed at how many people dont.

lawn crafters
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
i got 2, like 2weeks ago but its starting to slow down for picking up new clients because i dont advertise. just word of mouth. but i dont have that much time for any more.

TexasFire221
06-11-2008, 09:06 PM
This is my first year and am doing estimates every day. I put an ad on craigs list and had some yard signs made. Other than that no advertising. Up to about 40 yards and I received 4 calls today for estimates.

lawn crafters
06-11-2008, 09:14 PM
if i didnt have another job i would probly get more calls, because i would advertise

trulawnscape
06-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Funny story, I was mowing an account last saturday (last one one on the route) and noticed a cutie next door cutting her long grass with push mower. I finished up and being the nice guy that I am, I zipped over on my Z to lend a helping hand...Long story short I stopped back Monday and she signed a contract. Some people get sick of mowing half way through the summer so I am sure anyone that keeps looking will be successful at picking up new accounts.

TPendagast
06-12-2008, 01:28 AM
simple, do good work, treat customers fairly, charge a fair price and make a humble profit and you'll have more customers than you know what to do with.
When you have the customer load you want, increase your profit slightly (from humble to modest) and the "problem customers will "drop" themselves.

then you have "arrived".

Keep your core customers and you will never need more (but that also depends on your long term goals.

Honestly I keep getting customers all year. The professional landscapers up here aren't so professional. The only reason I went "back" into business is because I moved here and saw such poor quality and customer service I was astounded and couldn't avoid it.

I have very little competition here (especially in the areas we specilize in) and what competition I truly do have, we counter sub-contract each other and refer each other.
The other compeitor (there are really only two TRUE competitors here) is a tool and I dont talk to him and IF I had a sub marine Id already be loading the launching tubes.

I speak spanish fluently (no im not hispanic Im irish) I have great repsect for the hispanic laborer, I count many amoung my friends, but I cant stand a guy that will use illegal laborers so he and his kids can lounge around and be lazy.
(which is why this guy is a tool)

JohnnyRoyale
06-12-2008, 06:32 AM
I have great repsect for the hispanic laborer, I count many amoung my friends,

Are they your labourers you consider your friends? If so, you may want to rethink that position if thats the case.

jsw2008
06-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Word of mouth is king in getting new customers. People would rather do business with someone their friends do business with. I'm thankful to say that I haven't advertised in a long time because I'm lucky to have great customers who refer me to their friends. It's better than any advertising in the world (and cheaper too)

WHIPPLE5.7
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
I pick up one here and there from word of mouth but this year has been tough as hell. In my town of 60,000 we got about 20 new LCOs on top of the 20 that was already here so were all fighting over the same dollar.

Trhfire19
06-12-2008, 02:01 PM
I've been averaging 3-5 calls and referrals a week. In the last 2 weeks I have added 9 new customers for various services, 7 for weekly lawn maintenance.

PushingupDaisies
06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Do any of you work with Realtors? Are they just spot jobs here and there or do some of them turn into weekly maintenance? How did you get in with your Realtors?

Varsity L&G
06-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Possibly just added 2 more accounts today and one is a full mulch, edge and plant.

One of them as I arrived there was another bid stuck in the door handle. I left it there and placed mine right on top of it.

Same Price, lets see how this goes.

Hoppy's Lawn&Landscaping
06-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Well I started up about a Month to Month and 1/2 and I got most of my business in June and now still comming I got a total of 11 Accounts and I just started doing this not too long ago . But Also I live in a 30,000 Pop. City and there isnt a whole lot of Mowers here at least that advertise I see alot of 60 and 70 yr old men mowing with there X740 John Deere's but other then that the NEA Nursery Gets most of the business for now..

shortgrass01
06-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I'm still picking up extra work from my regular customers( mulch, hedge trimming, etc) that is extra money and still get occasional referrals or calls from old clients. So all in all, I'm staying busy.

Like JSW; I to -Still Cherry Picking. Ran into builders that was tring to replace the old lawn care guys they took advantage of. lol had to pass.. Radio station wanted to trade ads for cuts.. lmao...passed... lol:usflag:

SOS Landscaping
06-12-2008, 07:00 PM
just picked up an account today, not sure how long it will last as the guy is an investment housing guy, but hopefully he has some other houses and will keep using me.
A good friend of mine is a realtor she told me to give her some cards and will put me on the top of the list and refer me to all of her clients hopefully I can get a few calls from that

punt66
06-12-2008, 07:27 PM
simple, do good work, treat customers fairly, charge a fair price and make a humble profit and you'll have more customers than you know what to do with.
When you have the customer load you want, increase your profit slightly (from humble to modest) and the "problem customers will "drop" themselves.

then you have "arrived".

Keep your core customers and you will never need more (but that also depends on your long term goals.

Honestly I keep getting customers all year. The professional landscapers up here aren't so professional. The only reason I went "back" into business is because I moved here and saw such poor quality and customer service I was astounded and couldn't avoid it.

I have very little competition here (especially in the areas we specilize in) and what competition I truly do have, we counter sub-contract each other and refer each other.
The other compeitor (there are really only two TRUE competitors here) is a tool and I dont talk to him and IF I had a sub marine Id already be loading the launching tubes.

I speak spanish fluently (no im not hispanic Im irish) I have great repsect for the hispanic laborer, I count many amoung my friends, but I cant stand a guy that will use illegal laborers so he and his kids can lounge around and be lazy.
(which is why this guy is a tool)

Right on the money! you newbies follow this advice to the tee. Thats exactly how i did it and 63 lawn customers later i have gone further than my goal.

Turtle Creek Lawn Care
06-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I picked up one more today.:weightlifter:

Ryan

MowHouston
06-12-2008, 09:48 PM
Seven new estimates today. Four already emailed back to start service. Keep em rollin in. :dancing:

DanDodge
06-12-2008, 11:02 PM
Picked up another today and still have about 250 door hangers to drop.

Liendeni
06-13-2008, 01:34 AM
For those of you who say "word of mouth is your best advertistment". Yes, from what I hear....this is the very best way but if you are just starting out...you can not count on your first customer getting you two new accounts....and then those two getting you two more...and so on. Maybe if you already had 40 or 50 accounts...word of mouth would be great...but if you are just starting out....I do believe you have to do advertising to get started, at least in my area.

There are just to many people doing lawn care in my area to expect your first customer to snow ball into 50 or 60 through word of mouth customers...so please....as good advice as that may be for you long term business people....I think sometimes you guys honestly forget what it was like to start off from scratch...and therfore give useless and unrealistic information.

I think you need some advertising, a good bit of luck, and timing.

I got three this week in the same neighborhood....side by side. Why? Because I happen to be home when the guy called, came right out and did an estimate...and he...not me...gathered two more neighbors. That was both a matter of luck....me being home....and timing....the other two neighbors looking for a new lawn guy at the same time.

Sometimes you need more than just "do a good job."

Ooomwizard
06-13-2008, 02:00 AM
Got three leads today and checked out the properties.

Yearly total if I get all 3 would be a little over $100,000. Not including extras. Got fingers crossed.

Got 2 more leads to follow up on tomorrow. I like June so far.

GL

Carolina Cuts
06-13-2008, 08:17 AM
2 resi's today in my neighbor...
I really enjoy not starting up the truck to cut.:cool2:

dura to the max
06-13-2008, 11:26 PM
3 this week