PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer question

Liendeni
06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Ya, I know I am being BIG W today and posting a lot of questions....but I actually have a few quetions that I need help with....not just talking to hear myself talk....or type in this case.

Anyways, my question is this: I was really looking at enclosed trailers about two months ago when I got started. Decided to just go with the 16ft open for now simply because it was a cheaper start.

Back to the enclosed - is there some do's and don'ts when buying? And what I mean by that is all the (enclosed trailers) all pretty much looked the same to me until I went down to a Wells Cargo dealer and he pointed out all the differences between their trailers and others. But they were pretty pricey.

Is it better to maybe get a $3,500-4,000 16 foot enclosed trailer that is not top of the line....or just keep saving and wait and put my money into a better built....more expensive trailer?

SOS Landscaping
06-11-2008, 07:53 PM
all enclosed trailers are built diffrenet. Some can have big size but arent meant to carrry heavy load, a lot of enclosed trailers are full framed meaning that the tongue and A frame at the front of the trailer only go underneath the trailer about 2', seen lots of horror stories of people fully ripping the whole A frame out. So lessoned learned go with a full framed trailer. Also some trailers do the wall framing 16' on center, better ones go with 12" on center, this is just meaning that youll having stronger framing of your walls. Personally I wanted a haulmark but didnt like their wall fraiming and some other stuff so I went with a CarMate and I can not be happier. 3500-4000 seems pretty cheap for a 16' trailer even if that is 7-7.5 wide. I got a good deal on mine it was a 8x16 CarMate carhauler, full framed 12" on center walls, ramp door, trailer breaks and I have a GVWR of 8,000lbs. 8' may seem really wide and at first can be a pain driving a trailer wider then your truck, but being able to load your mowers side ways and save on room is awesome.
My opinion save your money and get something good also dont be afraid to look at used trailers, designs really have no changed except for LED lights which you can upgrade to. In my experiences cutting corners and trying to save money usually ends up costing you more money in the end

JohnnyRoyale
06-11-2008, 08:19 PM
I just picked up my Legend 21 ft v Nose this afternoon thats going to be used for one of my maintenance crews. Our other trailer worked hard for 10 years, and is now retired. I also bought a Legend 10 ft V Nose this spring to haul our construction tools around. They are constructed entirely of aluminum, which was important to me, as I'm tired of rotting and the weight associated with steel trailers. I beefed up the axles to 5000 lbs each, and you dont even feel it behind you. Mind you I just got it and havent loaded it yet, so who knows how its gonna pull loaded. Cost a few grand more than others, but definitely work the money. I researched a few brands and was impressed with the quality of the Legend. I regret not opting for the aluminum buds, but it still looks sharp behind my dually. Time to plaster it up with decals.

CuttingEdge,LLC
06-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Ya, I know I am being BIG W today and posting a lot of questions....but I actually have a few quetions that I need help with....not just talking to hear myself talk....or type in this case.

Anyways, my question is this: I was really looking at enclosed trailers about two months ago when I got started. Decided to just go with the 16ft open for now simply because it was a cheaper start.

Back to the enclosed - is there some do's and don'ts when buying? And what I mean by that is all the (enclosed trailers) all pretty much looked the same to me until I went down to a Wells Cargo dealer and he pointed out all the differences between their trailers and others. But they were pretty pricey.

Is it better to maybe get a $3,500-4,000 16 foot enclosed trailer that is not top of the line....or just keep saving and wait and put my money into a better built....more expensive trailer?

What's going on man????

You saw my trailer when I delivered you the mower, it's a 7 x 16 V-nose 7000lbs drop axle. Has all of the racks you will need inside. I am getting out the buz for now and will let it go for $4500 with all racks. May even through in some echo equipment if interested.

Turf Gnome
06-13-2008, 07:36 AM
I also have an enclosed trailer. I went to a very large trailer dealer in my area and discussed the options with them. They have quite the assortment of product lines. The one that really was considered the best IMO was Car Mate. I checked them all out, Pace, Haulmark, etc., etc., You do pay a bit more for it, but honestly, it's a necessity to have good gear to protect your money making gear.

ed2hess
06-13-2008, 07:30 PM
We went with Well Fargo because it was heavier in all respects compared to PACE. For example it was lined with 3/4" plywood inside and on the gate. The frames were heavier. By the way get a pretty high GWR if you are going to haul ZTR because with big bumps it stress's everything. We had to reinforce the connection point between the drop down axle and the trailer. I like the 6 foot wide because I can see along each side and makes backing a little easier. The jack needs to rotate up to get out of the way so it don't drag. We have side vents in our as well as top vents. Side door is useless had to make steel bars to keep people from cutting locks and breaking in at night. WE park with back up against a wall. Wiring was heavier on Fargo.

lapseal
06-16-2008, 08:19 PM

First, unless you are going to advertise or do not have a safe place to park your trailer and put you equipment inside don't waste your money.

Its cost alot more fuel to drag a enclosed trailer, we have 4 open 16'x 6' trailers and service 45 plus lawns and do a number of landscape jobs. Keep It Simple.

mowerbrad
06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I completely understand your reasoning in wanting to get an enclosed trailer. But like you said you just started. Don't go spending money just to spend money. Can you justify the cost of purchasing an enclosed trailer right now? How much money will it actually save you over your open trailer? If you are worried about your trimmers and blowers getting stolen off of the trailer then invest a couple hundred dollars in lockable racks. As long as all of your equipment is locked down on the trailer then you shouldn't have to worry about any of it getting stolen. The enclosed trailers can be expensive for people just starting off. You don't need to start off with the best, just build your company up as you go. Once you can justify the cost of the best equipment then start buying it if you need it, not when you just got started a couple of months ago.

I am not trying to talk you out of buying one at all, I mean its not my money. Just be smart with your money and what you buy with it. If you really want it then by all means go ahead and buy the thing. But before you buy just be sure that you can justify getting the new trailer. BTW if you don't have the money for it don't buy it, by that I mean that if you have to finance it to buy then you shouldn't be buying it.

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 08:37 PM
sometimes you can get a horse trailer that will work too.

bohiaa
06-16-2008, 11:36 PM
enclosed trailers are NICE, However I have often wondered about fuel storage, and spillage.

what if ya do jobs where ya haul brush ?

I suppose there are pros and cons to both sides....

I went with open simply because I'm cheep....

Liendeni
06-17-2008, 09:23 AM
Cutting edge....your trailer was black...wasn't it? Does it have a side door ramp? I was thinking about going with a 20 footer. I have a 16 foot open trailer and when I have the grasshopper, my WTB, and a small push mower on there....it is filled to the max. No real room for anything else.

Just curious....why are you getting out of the bizz? Cuz people suck...Florida customers that is???

Liendeni
06-17-2008, 09:31 AM
I completely understand your reasoning in wanting to get an enclosed trailer. But like you said you just started. Don't go spending money just to spend money. Can you justify the cost of purchasing an enclosed trailer right now? How much money will it actually save you over your open trailer? If you are worried about your trimmers and blowers getting stolen off of the trailer then invest a couple hundred dollars in lockable racks. As long as all of your equipment is locked down on the trailer then you shouldn't have to worry about any of it getting stolen. The enclosed trailers can be expensive for people just starting off. You don't need to start off with the best, just build your company up as you go. Once you can justify the cost of the best equipment then start buying it if you need it, not when you just got started a couple of months ago.

I am not trying to talk you out of buying one at all, I mean its not my money. Just be smart with your money and what you buy with it. If you really want it then by all means go ahead and buy the thing. But before you buy just be sure that you can justify getting the new trailer. BTW if you don't have the money for it don't buy it, by that I mean that if you have to finance it to buy then you shouldn't be buying it.

Maybe you are right. I can't honestly really justify spending the money at this point....it is more of a really bad "want" and once I start wanting something I seem to get fixated on it until I get it....but I agree...maybe I should just hold off.

I mainly wanted it for two reasons....1) I think they look more professional and 2) Both me and my gear keep getting rained on down here in Florida. It doesn't rain for long down here...but when it does...it can pour like crazy. Drives me nuts to know my equipment is just sitting back there getting drenched.

When I get home...I store all my goods in the garage so no problem there. Its just the rain mainly. Thanks for all the input.

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 12:23 PM
Also keep in mind that once you take the leap and make that for purchase a enclosed trailer that isn't' not going to be long after that you want to sticker it up with your logos,prone numbers and digital print like i have isn't cheap, so you need to think it through from a financial point of view. Trailer $3,500 to $6,000 and logos $1,500 and up.You could have some serious money tied up in it.

Liendeni
06-17-2008, 04:38 PM
Also keep in mind that once you take the leap and make that for purchase a enclosed trailer that isn't' not going to be long after that you want to sticker it up with your logos,prone numbers and digital print like i have isn't cheap, so you need to think it through from a financial point of view. Trailer $3,500 to $6,000 and logos $1,500 and up.You could have some serious money tied up in it.

Good point. I assumed I would be putting my logo and what not on the trailer but didn't know it was that much. Figured it would be about $500 but that was just a ball park guess. Looks like I was way off. Thanks for the input. Didn't realize stickering it up was that expensive. Damn!

Turf Gnome
06-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah, I was quoted a 4 color vinyl wrap for $2800 bucks both sides with my logo. I was shocked that it was so much since it's not the ceiling of the Sistine chapel.

Lawn-Sharks
06-17-2008, 07:00 PM
My digital print cost me $2,800 for my trailer +15 T-shirts & 1,000 business cards. And i knew the guy for years and it still cost that much.