PDA

View Full Version : The dumbest thing anyones ever asked...

Ketzer
06-11-2008, 08:34 PM
I've got a small grove of bamboo plants. I wanted to set up an above ground simple line of pop ups to keep them watered. Being completely redneck, I thought I could just hook the garden hose to the end of my PVC masterpiece and let it run.
I'm sure you guys already know where this is headed, the garden hose will run two or three just fine but the nine I've got won't pop. Obviously I don't have any idea what I'm doing... when you guys finally stop laughing, give me a little help please?
Thanks,
Jeff-

irritation
06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
The dumbest thing anyones ever asked...

Will you please set my controller so my grass stays green but use very little water.;)

Dirty Water
06-11-2008, 08:59 PM
I've got a small grove of bamboo plants. I wanted to set up an above ground simple line of pop ups to keep them watered. Being completely redneck, I thought I could just hook the garden hose to the end of my PVC masterpiece and let it run.
I'm sure you guys already know where this is headed, the garden hose will run two or three just fine but the nine I've got won't pop. Obviously I don't have any idea what I'm doing... when you guys finally stop laughing, give me a little help please?
Thanks,
Jeff-

What you are doing is like trying to put out a fire with a garden hose. You have 9 heads that need X amount of water and X PSI to work, but you can only give a small amount of water/pressure from your garden hose.

Either find a source of water that can provide more pressure and gallons per minute, or split your above ground sprinkler system into 3 separate zones and run only 3 heads a time.

Ketzer
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks Dirty, makes sense. I may need to start looking into tapping the main water line from the street. It's a 2 inch but gets choked down so bad at the house that we don't have any decent press or volume on the outside spigots.

Jeff-

TPendagast
06-11-2008, 09:36 PM
take the nozzels off those pop-ups, go to a commerical irrigation supplier and tell them you want 9 mp rotator nozzels. it will cost you about 52$
i almost guarantee your garden hose has enough volume to run the 9 mps

Az Gardener
06-11-2008, 09:46 PM
take the nozzels off those pop-ups, go to a commerical irrigation supplier and tell them you want 9 mp rotator nozzels. it will cost you about 52$

MP rotators, that's the ticket. I would like to see the thread with the dumbest questions ever asked.

Mike Leary
06-11-2008, 09:47 PM

Geez, Idaho is becoming the new south.

Ketzer
06-11-2008, 09:49 PM
More great advice! Thanks, I'll look into them. It would be worth investing the fiddy.

Jeff-

TPendagast
06-11-2008, 10:07 PM
Geez, Idaho is becoming the new south.

GEEZ! comming from a washington guy. Mp rotators come from WALLA WALLA!

and I actually fixed entire subdivsions in colorado simply swapping out vans for mps.
4" looped main line that was substantial for phase one, then had phase two and three tapping into the same source.... hey why dont my pop-ups work?.....ummm maybe because eveyone else is watering at the same time..

tada mp rotators to the rescue!

No digging, no new pumps, no sweat, big profit!:)

hoskm01
06-13-2008, 06:30 PM
GEEZ!
tada mp rotators to the rescue!

No digging, no new pumps, no sweat, big profit!:)

They are commonplace now. Have been for a few years. Good product. Are they still made solely in WA? After Hunter boughtem?

AI Inc
06-14-2008, 05:58 AM
They are commonplace now. Have been for a few years. Good product. Are they still made solely in WA? After Hunter boughtem?

No Hunter has a production line up and running in San Marcos Cali. When I was there at the end of of sept last yr they were just putting the final tweaks on it.

allinearth
06-14-2008, 08:01 AM
No Hunter has a production line up and running in San Marcos Cali. When I was there at the end of of sept last yr they were just putting the final tweaks on it.

Did hunter send you there or were you just passing through?

EagleLandscape
06-14-2008, 10:20 AM
My dad has been to some Hunter factory in Cali earlier this year. Four seasons hotel and everything. Said the place looks real nice, too bad the products are poop.

Mike Leary
06-14-2008, 10:29 AM
too bad the products are poop.

Only exception would be the I-20 6" stainless ultra & I-40 sod cup.

Wet_Boots
06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
My dad has been to some Hunter factory in Cali earlier this year. Four seasons hotel and everything. Said the place looks real nice, too bad the products are poop.Yeah, if only their rotors were as good as W*M's :p

Dirty Water
06-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Only exception would be the I-20 6" stainless ultra & I-40 sod cup.

And the PGP.

Mike Leary
06-14-2008, 01:30 PM
Dumbest question? The phone call that asks, "we are thinking about a irrigation system
and wonder what the average cost is?"

Waterit
06-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Dumbest question: I'm sitting on trencher, just finished cutting up new install, painter walks up and asks, "Did you put those trenches there?":dizzy:

Of course I denied any responsibility.:laugh:

AI Inc
06-16-2008, 05:39 AM
Did hunter send you there or were you just passing through?

They brought us out there for a factory tour and a sit down with engineers.Was kinda cool , all automated now. Last time I was out there pgp,s were still being hand built by humans.

ShovelMonkey
06-18-2008, 03:24 AM
Installer who refers jobs to me on occasion- "So we are passing a fair bit of work on to you since we don't have time to do repairs. Maybe you could bill us at $25 per hour and we'll bill the customer. What do you think?"
Well, seeing as you can't do the work anyway, and I bill between 45-65 per hour, and I am absorbing the overhead, paying for my own licensing, bond, insurance, and taxes, well sure, why not hand you 45+% for doing nothing other than giving out my phone number. jeez! what was he thinking!! I could mow lawns for more, and I am not required to have a landscape license, insurance or bond for that!!!!!

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-18-2008, 06:40 AM
Installer who refers jobs to me on occasion- "So we are passing a fair bit of work on to you since we don't have time to do repairs. Maybe you could bill us at $25 per hour and we'll bill the customer. What do you think?"
Well, seeing as you can't do the work anyway, and I bill between 45-65 per hour, and I am absorbing the overhead, paying for my own licensing, bond, insurance, and taxes, well sure, why not hand you 45+% for doing nothing other than giving out my phone number. jeez! what was he thinking!! I could mow lawns for more, and I am not required to have a landscape license, insurance or bond for that!!!!!
Brings up an interesting point. I give a lot of referrals out to my installer buddy, drainage guy, and several different landscapers. Get nothing in return except the knowledge my customers are getting primo work and they send stuff my way as well. I find contractors looking for a cut on referrals to be on the sleezy side.

ShovelMonkey
06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
My thoughts exactly. I have never asked for a cut from my refers either. I figure, hey I can't do the job (or don't want to) but I foster good relations with fellow contractors and with the customer because I didn't just say no. I told him no, had too, but he took it fine and still is giving out my name. When I was an employee of his, he offered me less than 10% bonus for bringing in new work, and then payed me about 1/5 of that. Funny that I left the company.:hammerhead:

k911lowe
06-20-2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Dirty, makes sense. I may need to start looking into tapping the main water line from the street. It's a 2 inch but gets choked down so bad at the house that we don't have any decent press or volume on the outside spigots.

Jeff-

make sure you install a vacuum breaker if you tap into your main.check local codes and your water company before.

Waterit
06-20-2008, 05:31 PM
they send stuff my way as well.

That's something in return, as long as the customer does get "primo work".

I had quit doing referrals after a customer got a shoddily-done seawall job. BIG black eye for me. Have started referring again, carefully. It's only good business (and keeps my buddies in work, too!).

Ketzer
06-22-2008, 07:27 PM
make sure you install a vacuum breaker if you tap into your main.check local codes and your water company before.

That's a good reminder to someone trying a do-it-yourself. I won't even start without a consult from my original plumber, he's helped me on several things even after his part of the job was all done.

Followup to my original problem and reason for posting....
The MP Rotators worked like a charm. My garden hose has no problem spinning all nine and the amount of water is perfect for the application!
Thanks!

Jeff-