PDA

View Full Version : Toro 37" Recycler

Dingo
01-17-2000, 01:53 PM
I was thinking about buying the Toro 37" Recylcer wb, but i dont really know anything about it. I am just starting a lawn service and i was wondering if this would be a good mower. i cant afford a rider and i need something that can take some hills and fit through fences. Are recycler decks any good? Has anyone heard anything about this mower. If so is $2,850 a good price for it? any comments will be helpful. thanks

Lazer
01-17-2000, 03:23 PM
Dingo,<p>I think you've gotta know what you're going to do with it. For most general mowing the way we've done it over the years, a recycler may not be the best option. You're limited to cutting totally dry grass and only can cut 1&quot; or so of new growth off at a time. Anything over 2&quot; may get clumpy. In a lawn service you don't have the option to wait until it's dry or the option to mow every 3 days in the spring.<p>I'd buy a Toro 52&quot; WB (Belt) w/ 12.5 Kaw for 2950.00.<p>Fenced in back yards? a.) Stay away from them if possible. b.) The 52&quot; will go in a lot of them. c.) you can get most gates widened for less than 150.00 and d.)push-mow the rest.<br>

bob
01-17-2000, 04:41 PM
Dingo, I had a mulching kit on my Grasshopper and took it off after about one month. You're better off just using side discharge. A good commercial mower will throw the grass out evenly. I would try to get at least a 48&quot; deck. I would also get a gear or hydro drive unit. A friend of mine has 3 belt drive walk-behinds, and can't use them in a heavy morning dew or a light rain- the belts slip. In the real world of lawn cutting you will have to deal with both of these factors. Bob

Dingo
01-17-2000, 06:58 PM
Ok thanks guys thats what i was wondering if the recycler was worth a damn. i can see that its not.

MWHC
01-17-2000, 09:05 PM
I don't know that I would say that quite yet. The 37' deck you are referring to will mulch, bag, and side discharge. If the grass is wet, and or tall, bag it. If the grass is short and dry, mulch it. The switch over time is minimal. I have a Toro recycler deck and it works fine, either mulching or bagging. You just have to use a little common sense.

mowerparts
01-17-2000, 11:36 PM
As far as recycleing goes it seems to depend upon what part of the country you live in. From what I gather most of the people on the Forum are located up north. I am from Florida were we have to cut St. Augustine grass (much like a crab grass, grows on long runners). Just about everybody mulches because of the thick grass. If you do some checking with your dealers I am sure you will find that most companies bring their new products down to Florida for field testing and modifications before they release them to the commercial customers.<br>Most people use Toro new mid mount riders, Dixie Choppers, Scag, and some Exmark riders. The new Grate Danes are starting to sell also. Most companies ether use Stihl or Echo. Well thatís my 2 cents. <p><br>----------<br>http://mowerparts.hypermart.net<p>

HOMER
01-18-2000, 02:51 AM
This is where you have the option with the Dixie Chopper. The commercial units come with the operator controlled discharge chute. When you want to mulch, drop the gate, when you want to let it fly, open it up. I know a friend that has 2 of his lazers set up with the mulching kits and where we live we have to deal with bahai grass big time. I asked him how he deals with it and he told me it just took a long time to mulch it in. I know I can put my Choppers against those dedicated to mulching only and blow them away. When I leave you can't see a clipping laying on the ground either. The previuos posts are correct, you have to give yourself the option.

jeffclc
01-18-2000, 03:08 AM
Homer<p>On the choppers, does the chute simply block off the discharge opening? I have experimented with sevral mowers over the years, and found that if using high lift or discharge blades(the ones that will throw the clippings out the side) you get unsatisfactory results mulching by simply blocking the discharge. Now, If I switch to a low lift or mulching blade, satisfactory mulching under certian conditions can be achieved by only blocking the discharge chute.<p>Dedicated mulchers, and also mulching conversion kits generally create individual chambers for each blade under the deck. This keeps the clippings from making their way to the discharge area of the deck.<p>That was my main problem using the high lifts, there would be too many clippings going twords the discharge area, and they would leae a small trail.<p>I cut a couple of cemeteries, and can't use a side discharge, if I did, I would have to blow off all the stones. Under times of heavy growth, I will switch to the mulching blades and cover plate on the discharge. In the dry summer months, and under periods of normal growth, I can get away with only using the discharge block off. Sometimes it will leave a slight trail, but the grass is not even close to picture perfect, and I can get away with it.<p>I am using fixed deck walk behind mowers, and have also learned that you can have your cut set at say 3&quot;, but that there are a number of ways that you can set the machine up to get that cut. The machine has adjustments on the front casters, and also on the blades. It also has adjustment on the deck to tractor mount, but that is not practical to move in the field. Under wer conditions, I set the deck as high as it will go, then lower the blades down to get the proper height of cut. Under different conditions, I will change setups like that. It makes a difference.<p>Does anyone else do this?

HOMER
01-18-2000, 04:00 AM
To answer your question......yes. It folds down over the opening and keeps most of the debris under the deck. What generally happens is the holes in the plate will clog with debris and after a minute or two it is completlely clogged up. It works better tan it sounds even though it doesn't have dedicated chambers like the Lazer. I also own a Scag 48&quot; and bought their version of a mulching kit. It consisted of a plate that you just bolt on. It did not work well here in the south due to the bahai grass and pine straw that we are constantly dealing with but if I didn't use that I was chasing stuff all over the yard trying to cut it up. With the Chopper I can make one pass with the chute down, it may leave a small trail depending on thickness and whatever else is on the ground but then I make a crossing pattern with the chute open and disperse the clippings. The one advantage of the faster ZTR's is that it doesn't take long to do this. With my Scag it took a while, even with the mulch plate in place. There were days when the grass was too thick to put the Scag in it with the plate in place and I would have to spend 10 minutes unbolting it! <p>I know that I probably plug the choppers a lot but when you have the options at your fingertips to change based on your conditions it just makes sense. I think all testing on commercial mowers must be done in prime conditions. Thats not the real world and Chopper has figured this out. More manufactures should offer an option like this, again, it just makes sense!

TheLawnRanger
01-20-2000, 10:57 AM
I have a Toro 44 and I have a recycler deck w/mulching kit. I put the mulching kit on after September(leaf removal)and take it off in the spring. Works good for me.

TurfGuyTX
01-15-2005, 07:33 PM
The 36" w/mulch plate that I have works fine.

LLandscaping
01-15-2005, 08:29 PM
The Toro recycler that he is referring to is only offered in a 32in or 37in cut. We have a 37in recycler with a 12.5 kawasaki that is about 5 seasons old. It tends to clump real bad in wet grass and the deck made out of thin steel, we have had to weld part of it together. Now we mainly only use it to cut a few centipede lawns and for mulching leaves. I would also recommend that you look into buying a hydro because the belts on the belt drive will slip when its wet and there is a more work involved in steering a belt drive especially on hills.