PDA

View Full Version : with gas at 4 bucks a gallon...

David Gretzmier
06-12-2008, 02:04 AM
at 22000 miles per year, my average over the last two years, I am spending over 6 grand per year on fuel at 14 miles per gallon average. so...

I am thinking about plans for an electric hybrid boxvan. 70mph top speed, 40-50 batteries, 125 mile range on electric, 14 foot box. has electric motor mounted aft of transmission, so while transmission is in neutral and engine is running all accassories and a/c, the electric motor can propel the van. If you run out of battery power and need more range, the transmission can be in drive and use the engine.

I saw a newer Dodge Ram that was built like this on ebay, and with 12 batteries he was getting over 50mpg in mixed driving with a 40-75 mile range on battery only. he used the gas quite a bit above 40mph. he said he spent about 6 grand on the conversion, so i am looking to double that or so for more battery power, plus 4 grand or so for the donor used truck.

The tough trick is the batteries. The GOOD ones that have a 2000 recharge cycle are crazy expensive lithiums. to properly outfit the boxvan, the battery pack would be almost 25,000 bucks alone. but it would last 10-12 years. so 2500 per year for batteries eats up alot of savings. going with optima cells gets you closer to 6000 bucks for your pack, but they may only last 500 recharges, or 2-3 years, so again, 2-3 grand per year for batteries. Nickle metal hydride is smack in the middle. I'm thinking optima.

the cost of electricity per mile is around 3-4 cents, so 600-700 bucks per year to recharge. plus i still want my a/c, power brakes and steering, plus the ability to take a trip beyond 125miles , so I'm still burning some gas.

what do you guys think? does gas have to be 5 bucks, 6 bucks before this makes sense? or ever?

NightScenes
06-12-2008, 07:40 AM
I just (Tuesday) traded my truck for a crossover SUV and will save quite a bit of money on gas every week. Even though my payments went up $200 a month because no one will give squat for trade in on trucks now, I will still be saving money. I still have my two other trucks which are used for installation and maintenance and will look into replacing them at some point in the future. I still need a vehicle that can haul all of those ladders though.

TXNSLighting
06-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Save your money, hybrids are not the answer, those batteries cost a fortune! Keep what you have, or the diesel version of those vans get almost 30 mpg, and wont cost you near as much, and will last 300k. yeh i now diesel prices are high, but it still is better then hybrid or gas counter parts.

Think stuff out before anyone one of you trades your "gas gussler"...the hit your going to take will not be made up with your new vehicle that will probably cost more. besides your customers should be paying for your fuel.

Pro-Scapes
06-12-2008, 08:29 AM
Paul what did you get ? We are pretty happy with Ashleys CRV cross over. Drives super nice and we can averages 27mpg.... 31 if we drive real easy on it.

Be careful about pouring that much money into battery technology right now. I think the technology will vastly improve with all the pressure on engineers to save fuel. Honda is close at hand on the fuel cell as well.

It would take you 6 years or so (assuming fuel remains about the same lol so lets say 5 yrs) to recoup your investment and that is also under the asumption you do not have to make any repairs to it.

I think you would see better savings in buying something like a prius or civic hybrid for times where you only need to go make an estimate or sales call and your day to day errands.

The Lighting Geek
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I raised my prices, it doesn't make sense for us to keep making less. I never adjusted for the rise in copper prices, the cost of wire, fixtures, etc. It won't be long before everyone passes it on to us. NOBODY has said anything about my current prices other than to ask me if gas prices are affecting me. I tell them, 'yes, I just raised my prices.' I believe that if you are in front of the right customer, and your prices are fair, price is not the issue. I couldn't give up my Geekstr mobile anyways! :cool2: I am currently paying 4.50 a gallon and I expect gas to 5.50-6.00 by end of summer.

Pro-Scapes
06-12-2008, 11:51 AM
I couldn't give up my Geekstr mobile anyways! :cool2: .

I dunno Tommy I think more than a couple of us could picture you on a moped with old fashioned WW1 sytle aviator goggles and leather aviator hat. :laugh:

David Gretzmier
06-12-2008, 01:07 PM
a sprinter would save me 3 grand a year with gas at 4 bucks a gallon. at 5 bucks for gas and 6 for diesel, around 4 grand per year. it is close to being a purchase for me.

The electric saves way more on fuel, but the batteries could cost 2 grand per year average for replacement, and also the technological nightmare of who can fix it when it breaks, so the electric is a WAY bigger gamble of 15 grand or so. but fun to think about.

There is a guy on an electric car website that converted his S-10 chevy to electric. he put on a bed cover with solar panels he bought at harbor freight tool. he drives 26 miles to work, and in 8 hours the batteries are fully charged back up. he drives home, and they charge enough to get him to work the next day. he only plugs in on rainy and winter nights. he drives, for free, most of the time. he has 12 or 14 batteries I think.

Pro-Scapes
06-12-2008, 01:29 PM
26 miles with no load and no towing is far from what we do. I still dont see why we cant build an electric truck or van with solar panels and a small gas or diesel generator. I got a 6kw gas gen that eats about half a gallon an hour at half load and .75 gallons an hour at heavy load.

JoeyD
06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
billy in 10 years!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/24oct24-gay-harley-guy.jpg

Pro-Scapes
06-12-2008, 01:53 PM
billy in 10 years!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/24oct24-gay-harley-guy.jpg

Ya know... If he shaved wouldnt that look like Nate ? Always original.

JoeyD
06-12-2008, 02:02 PM
haahahahhahahahaha.....I'm telling him you said that!! But it kind of would I think!

k911lowe
06-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Paul what did you get ? We are pretty happy with Ashleys CRV cross over. Drives super nice and we can averages 27mpg.... 31 if we drive real easy on it.

Be careful about pouring that much money into battery technology right now. I think the technology will vastly improve with all the pressure on engineers to save fuel. Honda is close at hand on the fuel cell as well.

It would take you 6 years or so (assuming fuel remains about the same lol so lets say 5 yrs) to recoup your investment and that is also under the asumption you do not have to make any repairs to it.

I think you would see better savings in buying something like a prius or civic hybrid for times where you only need to go make an estimate or sales call and your day to day errands.

there's that thing called a smart car.70 mpg.pefect for bids and BS

irrig8r
06-12-2008, 08:39 PM
Not only has the price of gas gone up (I paid 4.47 at one of the cheapo stations today... Shell and Chevron are past 4.60 for reg.) But so has copper.

FX raised their prices in May. Vista prices are going up 7% for fixtures and 10% for TFs according to my distributor... July 1 I think.

BrandonV
06-12-2008, 09:01 PM
there's that thing called a smart car.70 mpg.pefect for bids and BS

is that true? i was looking at their website and its in the 40s or are you talking about a euro version w/ diesel maybe? I was disappointed to see that our diesel jetta gets 50mpg and its over twice the car as the smart, heck my wife's mini gets 36 and its twice the car.

Lite4
06-12-2008, 10:20 PM
You know what I have never understood. Why can't they make a battery powered vehicle that recharges itself by placing a rotor and stator coils in all 4 wheels and generating electricity to recharge the batteries as it is rolling along. Hydro-electric dams and even wind farms use the rotor and stator technology to generate power. Essentially you could have a perpetual motion vehicle that would always self charge while in motion. Anyone else ever think of this?

irrig8r
06-12-2008, 11:06 PM
There's a saying, sometimes referred to as the fourth law of thermodynamics, that goes "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch" or TANSTAAFL.

The engine would have to work harder to overcome the slight resistance, defeating the purpose.

However, regenerative braking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenerative_braking) is a good idea...as long as you have some means to store the energy...

Lite4
06-12-2008, 11:17 PM
What resistance? The drum is already going to have to spin the tire to move the vehicle. Stators and coils do not touch. You simply need a catylist to spin the rotor, ie. wind in a wind turbine, or water in a water turbine. The battery is already going to be putting the car in motion, why not recapture some the energy from what is expended in moving the car on down the road. The stators are "stat"ionary, and the rotor could simply be attatched to one side of the disk on the brakes. The electricity arcs across to the stator and could be rerouted back to the battery. I am just thinking out loud here. I am sure someone has researched this and they would be doing it if it was cost effective.

TXNSLighting
06-12-2008, 11:34 PM
You know what I have never understood. Why can't they make a battery powered vehicle that recharges itself by placing a rotor and stator coils in all 4 wheels and generating electricity to recharge the batteries as it is rolling along. Hydro-electric dams and even wind farms use the rotor and stator technology to generate power. Essentially you could have a perpetual motion vehicle that would always self charge while in motion. Anyone else ever think of this?

i guarantee theres something like that out there but better! But some of the higher ups in this country dont want that to happen...I guarantee there can be half ton and 3/4 ton gas engines that can get 30 mpg out there, their just not lettin them out.

The Lighting Geek
06-12-2008, 11:37 PM
careful there Tim, or the black helicopters will come at night pay you a visit!

Pro-Scapes
06-13-2008, 12:33 AM
What resistance? The drum is already going to have to spin the tire to move the vehicle. Stators and coils do not touch. You simply need a catylist to spin the rotor, ie. wind in a wind turbine, or water in a water turbine. The battery is already going to be putting the car in motion, why not recapture some the energy from what is expended in moving the car on down the road. The stators are "stat"ionary, and the rotor could simply be attatched to one side of the disk on the brakes. The electricity arcs across to the stator and could be rerouted back to the battery. I am just thinking out loud here. I am sure someone has researched this and they would be doing it if it was cost effective.

whats the regenerative braking thing all about. Spinning that thing tim would create a resistance thus put more load on your battery and motor to start with. It would help I think but I still think we would need to recharge. I think I recall someplace a standard small block chevy alternator takes about 4hp to run and that little puppy could not keep up with the power demands of an electric motor big enough to propel a car. I could be wrong but if it were that simple it would of been done years ago.

Im still all for the small generator that sips less than a gallon an hour automatically starting to recharge my battery even when I am parked.

David Gretzmier
06-13-2008, 12:49 AM
Ford has actually been selling a 1/2 ton f-150 and an e-150 van in the U.K. market for the last 2 decades that gets over 30 mpg city and highway. how? a small 4 cylinder turbo diesel of course. It'll be sold here soon. for those folks that don't pull a 10,000 pound trailer, it makes sense.

as far as perpetual motion goes, regenerative braking is essentially a rotor and stator, actually creating a generator to create electricity and helps recharge the batteries. it only makes sense during braking, as it adds resistance to the wheels to "push" the electric motor backwards to make juice.

The guys over at the lawn side of this site are REALLY griping about fuel.

Pro-Scapes
06-13-2008, 12:54 AM
We are actually house shopping. Found a nice house about 6 miles from my main work community and its only 7 miles further to work for Ash.

I figured it up and we could upgrade to a nicer home with alot of amenities we were about to add here for a break even with the 350 a month in fuel I would save and thats IF gas remains at the 3.89 its at here. Not to mention the new area is very nice and definatly worth marketing to.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Making a change:

We are looking at converting all our vehicles over to diesel and then running Bio-diesel (produced from waste veg-oil, lard, etc NOT crops) in them. We also heat our home, shop and office with #1 Stove oil (diesel fuel) so we can switch that over to bio-diesel too.

My plan is to have two 900 Liter tanks on the property, one for vehicles and one for heating, filled by a local producer of Bio diesel. The car has to go and we are probably picking up one of my client's Mercedes GL420CDI SUV for the family... My truck is up for replacement in the spring and I will move to a diesel then.

The nice thing about Bio-diesel is that it is not taxed as 'road diesel' is, it produces much lower emissions, and when you drive by, it smells like french fries! :)

BrandonV
06-13-2008, 06:35 AM
26 miles with no load and no towing is far from what we do. I still dont see why we cant build an electric truck or van with solar panels and a small gas or diesel generator. I got a 6kw gas gen that eats about half a gallon an hour at half load and .75 gallons an hour at heavy load.

international is leading the way on this front and also hard to believe but its true, thomas-built bus.. they're building a fleet of plug-in hybrid busses that'll will supposedly get the first 40 miles fuel free. International is already selling a diesel electric hybrid truck chassis, specs look good, a little big for an irrigation service vehicle though but we can hope it'll trickle down.

Lite4
06-13-2008, 07:48 AM
careful there Tim, or the black helicopters will come at night pay you a visit!

Oh heck Tommy, They have already been here. In fact I hopped in their blackhawk and flew em around the valley and showed them where the real loonies live.:laugh:

TXNSLighting
06-13-2008, 08:47 AM
Ford has actually been selling a 1/2 ton f-150 and an e-150 van in the U.K. market for the last 2 decades that gets over 30 mpg city and highway. how? a small 4 cylinder turbo diesel of course. It'll be sold here soon. for those folks that don't pull a 10,000 pound trailer, it makes sense.

as far as perpetual motion goes, regenerative braking is essentially a rotor and stator, actually creating a generator to create electricity and helps recharge the batteries. it only makes sense during braking, as it adds resistance to the wheels to "push" the electric motor backwards to make juice.

The guys over at the lawn side of this site are REALLY griping about fuel.

i knew it! i always preached a 6 cyl or 4 cyl diesel f-150. I knew it would solve that fuel mileage problem. Man i need to get on this! ha!

irrig8r
06-13-2008, 09:37 AM

My mistake. I thought there would be gears involved.

If it were effective, wouldn't propellor driven airplanes be using it to extend range?

NightScenes
06-13-2008, 10:37 AM

It's a Ford Taurus X cross over SUV.

extlights
06-13-2008, 12:26 PM
They've been talking about bringing the F150 diesel over here for years but it has yet to happen. If you really sit down and figure out the savings between a diesel truck and a gas truck you don't really save anything...I have yet to drive or see a diesel 4x4 truck that get's the gas mileage that everyone claims that THEY get with them. Bottom line...a diesel truck will get maybe around 17 mpg on a good day and the gas will get 14. With diesel being 50 cents a gallon more, plus the extra 5-6K you spend up front and the extra cost in maintenance....you generally will still be spending more.

Chris J
06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
Yeah, but a lot of guys around here think it's really cool to drive a F-350 Power-Stroke to pull a 5x8 unenclosed trailer with one mower in it. Everytime I see this I have to laugh.
But then you have someone like myself pulling a 27' Fifth-wheel travel trailer with a Chevy 1500. Go figure.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-14-2008, 12:24 AM
Wow, maybe we put something in our gas here that you dont. I avg 20 mpg with my Chev Z71 empty on the highway and about 15-17 mpg when pulling my 3500lb 6x12.

I guess I should stop complaining Then again we pay about 22% more here for our fuel then you do. I filled up today.... $118.00 and that happens twice a week for me.
My fuel bill is now more then my mortgage. How messed up is that?

Pro-Scapes
06-14-2008, 10:12 AM
Wow, maybe we put something in our gas here that you dont. I avg 20 mpg with my Chev Z71 empty on the highway and about 15-17 mpg when pulling my 3500lb 6x12.

I guess I should stop complaining Then again we pay about 22% more here for our fuel then you do. I filled up today.... $118.00 and that happens twice a week for me.
My fuel bill is now more then my mortgage. How messed up is that?

You must either drive like a grandma or it has something to do with the density and air temp because I have the same truck and with the cruise control set at 65mph on the highway I am lucky to squeak out 18mpg unloaded.... bump it to 75mph and watch it drop again.

I bet I could get 20 if I set cruise at 40mph tho.

Our monthly fuel bill is twice our house payments. If we move to the new home we are considering we will save 350 to 400 per month.

Chris J
06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
Same here. 2007 Chevy 1500 Z71. 17-17.5 mpg on average and that's mostly all highway mileage with no pull behind. The onboard computer is saying 19, but it's inaccurate. I figure it up manually on a regular basis.

TXNSLighting
06-14-2008, 02:16 PM
It's a Ford Taurus X cross over SUV.

I really like those. Ive heard great things about em.

TXNSLighting
06-14-2008, 02:18 PM
They've been talking about bringing the F150 diesel over here for years but it has yet to happen. If you really sit down and figure out the savings between a diesel truck and a gas truck you don't really save anything...I have yet to drive or see a diesel 4x4 truck that get's the gas mileage that everyone claims that THEY get with them. Bottom line...a diesel truck will get maybe around 17 mpg on a good day and the gas will get 14. With diesel being 50 cents a gallon more, plus the extra 5-6K you spend up front and the extra cost in maintenance....you generally will still be spending more.

The f-150 diesel is coming out next year. said to get over 25 mpg. and my duramax diesel gets 19 highway.

David Gretzmier
06-14-2008, 05:32 PM
IF you google chevy metro diesel, There is a guy that converted a chevy metro econo-box to a 10 horse diesel car. I read about this a few years ago, and there were some other pages for testing it, and it got over 100mpg. goes 50mph on flat ground, and probably cost less than 1500 to buy and build. a more reasonable conversion might be a camry with a blown engine to a 21 or 28 horse kubota 3-cylinder conversion. can do bids, trips, 70 mph, and 75mpg? who knows?

sprinkler guy
06-16-2008, 01:04 PM
You guys should think about what I did. I bought a motorcycle a few months back. I drive it to and from my jobsites, leaving my truck and trailer either at the jobsite or the landscape company's yard. Most of my work is 40 miles from my house. The bike averages 47 mpg, is way more fun to drive than a Prius, and allows me to cut down on my commute time. I've used it for estimates, and going back for night-time adjustments. Most customers applaud my efforts to save gas, and I've even given rides to a couple of the ladies I've worked for. After I got the check from the husband, of course. I also made room for it in my trailer, so in a pinch I can haul it from one site to the next, then park my logoed trailer at the job. The downside is no phone calls from the road, but maybe thats a good thing.

Eden Lights
06-16-2008, 02:50 PM
I am sure some of you are just to busy for this idea, but we have devoted one day to shop and administrative work only. We are still working 10hours days in the field four days a week. This has been working very good for us from many fronts, 20% savings in gas and no distractions from non-field related tasks which many times is a short high cost run with little return in income or task completion. We are also working with a customer database with gps mapping to decrease gas consumption and save time.

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 02:54 PM
is that true? i was looking at their website and its in the 40s or are you talking about a euro version w/ diesel maybe? I was disappointed to see that our diesel jetta gets 50mpg and its over twice the car as the smart, heck my wife's mini gets 36 and its twice the car.

yeah,im 6'4" and too small for me,i gotta have a truck.if it cant work,it ain't mine

JoeyD
06-16-2008, 05:36 PM
You guys should think about what I did. I bought a motorcycle a few months back. I drive it to and from my jobsites, leaving my truck and trailer either at the jobsite or the landscape company's yard. Most of my work is 40 miles from my house. The bike averages 47 mpg, is way more fun to drive than a Prius, and allows me to cut down on my commute time. I've used it for estimates, and going back for night-time adjustments. Most customers applaud my efforts to save gas, and I've even given rides to a couple of the ladies I've worked for. After I got the check from the husband, of course. I also made room for it in my trailer, so in a pinch I can haul it from one site to the next, then park my logoed trailer at the job. The downside is no phone calls from the road, but maybe thats a good thing.

I went and looked at Harley's the other day for this same reaso. New Sportster gets 60mpg. Not bad considering the bike is only $7k. I am really considering...I dont like sportsters too much but I love 60mpg!

Chris J
06-16-2008, 06:12 PM
I used to be into bikes way too much, but I sold my bike when my first son was born. It was a 98' Yamaha R1 and it was sooo much fun! Ironically, I also developed a severe fear of heights when he was born. Either I turned into a wuss, or I gained a who lot of common sense when I became a father. Depends on how you look at it, but no more bikes for me. Being close to Daytona, I get my yearly fill of seeing people hurt during Bike week.

JoeyD
06-16-2008, 06:17 PM
yeah R1 is a super bike built for one thing....HAUL A$$!! I want to cruise...I'm thinking Ape Hangers and pipes! Like this!

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/untitled.jpg

Chris J
06-16-2008, 06:20 PM
Very cool bike, but it's still only two wheels and very hard to stop at 75mph. I'm still a fan, I just don't get on em too much anymore. Now dirt bikes, that's another story.

JoeyD
06-16-2008, 06:24 PM
Dude Chris..you should see my Rhino now! The thing is dialed! But the Nazi govt in California will not make it street legal so I cant drive it on the road yet. If they do then I am stoked because I will be able to drive it to work! I think I get about 40mpg in it.

Chris J
06-16-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah, that thing is awsome. I'd love to go for a ride in it one day.

JoeyD
06-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Here it is...almost done! It is torn back down now...
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/ulsjoeyd/Baja%20Trip/HaulinAss-1.jpg
If you click this link and watch the video on the left ont he page it is a video trailer for a RHino/Side X Side film my buddy is making....he has a spot in there where he films me coming around a turn at like 55mph sideways.....super fun..it is at like 1min 13seconds into the clip.
http://www.rhinomayhem.com/

well I took it way off topic now..SORRY YA'LL

David Gretzmier
06-16-2008, 06:48 PM
On bikes- There are several electric motorcycle and bike conversions on youtube. 50-100 mile ranges, but alot of folks say the same thing- eerily quiet. my bike was an '86 honda magna. v45, sweet fast for an 18 year old. bought used with 800 miles on it for 3400 or so, rode that thing to about 12000 miles, wrecked it, fixed it and sold it on my 22nd birthday for...3400 or so. great bike, but moved on.

Chris J
06-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Key word here: Wrecked! If you own a bike, it's not if you will crash and burn, it's when. For heaven's sake, please wear protective gear. Nothing pisses me off more than to see some squid riding down the street with shorts, no shirt and no helmet. These fools actually think there cool! IMO they are dumb *** squids.
Drive safe, live long. People just don't see motorcycles on the road.

klkanders
06-16-2008, 11:15 PM
I see it every year as well Chris. The Sturgis Rally.
Stupid People + Alchohol,Drugs + bikes = body bags.
Add deer to the mix and it gets worse.
I still ride.......but ride very defensively.

Keith

sprinkler guy
06-17-2008, 12:11 AM
I used to be into bikes way too much, but I sold my bike when my first son was born. It was a 98' Yamaha R1 and it was sooo much fun! Ironically, I also developed a severe fear of heights when he was born. Either I turned into a wuss, or I gained a who lot of common sense when I became a father. Depends on how you look at it, but no more bikes for me. Being close to Daytona, I get my yearly fill of seeing people hurt during Bike week.

Chris, I had a 98 R1 for about a year and half. I had it listed for sale and the week I sold it, I got rubbed on the freeway. In California, it is legal to drive beetween the cars; they call it lane-sharing. Anyway, this monster 4x4 starts coming over as I'm passing, I feel a little bump, and power through. When I got home I had a big black streak down the leg of my jeans. The next day I got a call from the guy who ended up buying my R1 a couple days later. I went without a bike for about two years, but couldn't stave off the desire to ride.

I was feeling the itch to get a bike again last Christmas, but bought my wife a little convertible instead. Then I saw a news report about gas being over $4.00 a gallon this summer. This is when gas had just hit the $3.00 dollar mark. I did the math - filling up 3-4 times a week at $100 a tank, $1200-$1500 a month. The bike made a lot of fiscal sense to me, as well as helping me with time management. My wife just tells me to make sure the life insurance is paid up.

sprinkler guy
06-17-2008, 12:17 AM
I went and looked at Harley's the other day for this same reaso. New Sportster gets 60mpg. Not bad considering the bike is only $7k. I am really considering...I dont like sportsters too much but I love 60mpg!

Hey Joey,

Isn't the Sportster the Harley for girls:laugh:? In all seriousness, I have a place in Bullhead City, so I've been to the Laughlin run a few times, and I've seen some tricked out Sportsers, but that will kill your whole $7k budget idea.

JoeyD
06-17-2008, 09:18 AM
yes it is...I am not proud to say I am considering buying a sportster but I will make due and try to take the girlyness out of it by riding so fast no one will know who or what it is I am on!! LOL

klkanders
06-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Just have a skull and flames painted on the tank Joey!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-17-2008, 11:56 PM
One way to beat high gas prices.... Sell the largest, highest end, most detailed and ornate system of your career! YE-Ha! I just landed a $120K LV outdoor lighting job... I kid you not!

O Happy Days! :)

TXNSLighting
06-18-2008, 08:16 AM
Good god james! why dont you give that a bit more detail...

Chris J
06-18-2008, 08:56 PM
One way to beat high gas prices.... Sell the largest, highest end, most detailed and ornate system of your career! YE-Ha! I just landed a $120K LV outdoor lighting job... I kid you not!

O Happy Days! :)

And yet you have the time in your short season to continually post on this and other forums....... How do you do it ye lord of light? :nono: I believe that brings your total sales (claimed here) to somewhere around 1.5 billion this year? Good job Mr. Man. And with a one/two man crew to boot!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-18-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks Chris... I am working at hiring in another installer now... but the pickings are slim. Nowhere near the billion in sales that you calculate, but I am seriously aiming for a 7 figure year. We are currently booked solid through until October 1.

Goals are good things to set, they make you work like a crazy man.

I think I might actually take a couple hours off tonight and get to know my wife again! :)

Chris J
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Goals are good things to set, they make you work like a crazy man.

:)

Like I said, that much work to do and you still have time to play on the computer? How do you do it?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-18-2008, 09:55 PM
The last four days straight I have worked 20 hours per day. 7am to 3am. no joke. You get a LOT done in 20 hour days.

Chris J
06-18-2008, 10:23 PM
I guess so. Say hello to your wife for me.

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 01:48 AM
YEE-HAH, 20 hour days, thats...living?

Chris J
06-19-2008, 07:17 AM
YEE-HAH, 20 hour days, thats...living?

Amen to that David. I've got a divorce decree that proves what results you will get for working that much. All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy.

TXNSLighting
06-19-2008, 08:21 AM
ooo bad times chris. sorry to hear. yeh still havent heard th details on this $120k job james...

Pro-Scapes
06-19-2008, 09:43 AM
James would probably only need to work 8-12 hour days like us Americans :usflag: If he layed off the msg boards a bit more lol. Money and tons of work only goes so far.

Chris J
06-19-2008, 06:31 PM
Here's what's funny as hell. When I was married I had tons of work. Now that I'm single and willing to work 24/7, I can't buy a steady pace! wtf's up with that?
To pour salt in my wounds, not a day goes by that one of my customer's tell me how special we are with our service. "you always do what you say your going to do, and you are always on time." "you guys have so much talent, I bet you are so busy you don't have time to sleep." AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! What happend to my freakin market?!!!

David Gretzmier
06-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I think there are times that our reputation and market can coincide to create great success and work. james is in the groove right now. We have that with our Christmas Business, but in time ( my market added 4 christmas light competitors last year) it will fade where I will struggle to compete. I predict 3-4 years and I will struggle to get jobs. The bids will be there, but everyone will drive the price down to negative returns.

I always wondered what I would do if competition came to town and postcarded my market to death. All it really takes is someone with 50 grand in thier pocket to blanket any of our markets with 1000's of cards every month for a year. And they will draw nearly every person who wants landscape or christmas lighting right into thier sales.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Naw David I think you are wrong there. It is called "Change" and you must embrace it!

"Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee."

By anticipating changes in the marketplace, and strategically planning changes in your business, product / service mix, and direction you can stay on top of the heap. Its those who get complacent, or stuck in a rut who get left behind. You can see examples of this in all markets, all along the history of commerce.

Want to stay ahead? I suggest you:

1: Get yourself a Board of Advisors comprised of business professionals who have been sucessful, visionary and whom you trust.

2: Change, always change.... stay fresh, innovative, adaptive and open.

3: "Be Purple". Make your business and your involvement in it Remarkable (Literally)

In over ten years in this business I have seen almost consistant double digit (and more) growth year after year with only one year that was flat when compared to the previous. Will it continue into the future like this? Only if I constantly change. Change my direction, change my business model, adapt, adjust and strategically plan for change.

A colleague of mine has a great line: Do you work in your business or do you work on your business? To keep ahead of the pack you need to find a good balance of both I think.

Have a great day.