PDA

View Full Version : Workmans Comp/ Builders

shortgrass01
06-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Well the builders are feeling the pinch; I had 2 (1A) home bulders approach me about mowing for them. Both wanted to know what I charged and if I had workmans Comp. Are you kidden me?
I told him I dont have to have it.. he said if i mowed for him I needed workmans comp...
( im a solo that avgs 15 to 25 annual accounts )
I told him what I charge and he balked- I told him I did only High quality work and I cherry pick my property.
Said he had a lot of property to have dont that he even supply some equiptment..lol... sounded desparate to me; looking to take advantage of some lawn care guys.
Are any of you guys in bed with home builders?

punt66
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Run for the hills. I have cut and plowed for builders and it takes forever and maybe a few threats to get paid. I will never do it again.

txgrassguy
06-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Builders are just like customers, some are better than others.
You'll learn whom to deal with and whom to avoid.

Allstar Lawns Inc.
06-15-2008, 08:54 PM
Fortunately Ive got a pretty good relationship with a rather large residential home builder. I cut between 60 - 70 spec houses bi-weekly in 6 differant subdivisions. I also cut all of the subdivision entrances. Most of these houses have been sitting for over a year. We fax in the invoice on friday and get paid the following friday. Never missed a check so far. Only bad part is they discontinue cuts at the end of September. At least all of my other accounts are on levelized billing.