PDA

View Full Version : Trailer size?

lawn crafters
06-12-2008, 07:48 PM
very small now (equitment wise) but am picking up a 36 walkbehind in a few days. i have a 4x6 trailer and the new walkbehind and thing in my signature just fit. but my question is how big of a trailer should i upgrade to if i was to get the wright stander 52" w/ the trimmers and blower on racks + elpansion room? or if i was to get a 0 turn?

lastly what do you think is the cheapest yet most useful large cut mower for a upgrade from the 36 walk behind?

punt66
06-12-2008, 09:40 PM
7x16 is minimum if its your only trailer

AboveTheCut
06-12-2008, 09:42 PM
i was able to get away with 7 x 14 daul axle w/ brakes on both axles. works great for me.

MassSteelerfan
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I have a 7x 14 and is great for your set up. I was thinking 6x12 at first, and it will carry your equipment, but no room on sides to get by. Is a tight fit

jsw2008
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
What are you pulling it with? I run a 6.5 x 12 tandem axle and you can fit lots of stuff on it and not feel like you're pulling a semi around down.

stevenf
06-13-2008, 01:00 AM
I have a 5x10 with my sig equipment and I am out of room. My next trailer will be a 6.5x12 open or closed depending on what deal passes in front of me.

Liendeni
06-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Asking that question is like asking, "What is your favorite color?" Everybody who answers will have a different reply with a very justified justification. BUT....I actually took some advice from this site and went with a 16 footer.

The truth is...the price was not that big a difference betweent a 12 to 14 to 16. Couple hundred bucks at best. When I first got the 16 footer...I thought it was huge...way to big for what I needed. BUT within the first month....I was sooooo thankful I had gotten the larger size for I needed it. I started off with a bunch of mulch jobs and if you plan on puttin 25 bags or more on your trailer with any WTB or ZTR...you will need the extra room. Could never fit mulch and a mower on a 12 footer...unless you are going to make several trips....which cost both time and gas...which equal money.

I first put my ZTR on there and thought it was way to big for my needs. I soon had three new accounts with fences and gates. Guess what? My ZTR was too big. Needed a 36 inch WTB. Once I put both of them on there and a small 21 inch push mower....that baby is filled to the max.

Point being....spend the extra cash and go big.

I want to buy an enclosed and I am going to go wtih a 20 footer for the same reason....so I can grow. Think BIG! If you go small...you will limit yourself to being small...no offense to anybody but I couldn't do what i do with a 12 foot trailer...not even a 14 footer without it costing me extra money in the long run.

Anybody agree...or disagree???

task125
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I went with an 8x14 pace summit,I like the 8' wide the axel is the same width.gives you more room inside.The rule I heard was what ever trailer you think you need go to the next size bigger.

hackitdown
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
I went for 4 seasons with a 14' open trailer. It barely carried a 48" WB and a 52" ZTR. When I upgraded the 48" WB to a 48" Great Dane Super Surfer, I had to upgrade to a 16foot trailer. I also carry a 21" WB on occasion. I use racks for the trimmers. but just pop the blowers on the trailer floor. I'll probably sell the 14" trailer.

STIHL GUY
06-19-2008, 09:49 PM
my trailer is a 50'' by 8 feet. my 48'' mower fits and blower and trimmer racks also fit it can also fit my walk behind blower or 21'' mower

mowerbrad
06-19-2008, 10:44 PM
My trailer is a 6.5'x14' dual axle. I am able to fit a 21" and a ZTR with a collection system on it with some space for grass and leaves. I think that a 16' would be nicer, that will give you plenty of space for expansion.

Green Team Landscaping
06-19-2008, 11:13 PM
at least 15'. i am going for the same thing once i can drive for my 2 mowers. although it kinda depends on how long the stander is. i've never been up close to one so i dont know, but i have 2 mowers and its gonna be about 15' for me, and i think you too

M&SLawnCare
06-20-2008, 02:08 AM
7X16. I went with a 6.5X12 and i regretted it in under a year. Need more room for my 60" ztr, 36" wb, and 21".

xpnd
06-20-2008, 05:22 PM
STOP!!!! DO NOT BUY A TRAILER!!!!!! If your serious about this work, find an old 3/4 pick up. Preferably one with a damaged bed so you can beat the seller's price way down. Strip the bed off of it and have a flat bed with dovetail ramp installed. Trailers eat gas. Trailers can be parked in in a cul de sac. Trailers can be hell backing up after 12 our days. Everything a trailer can do a truck with a flat bed and dovetail ramp can do or do better. When your talking about being lean and mean, reducing overhead, this is one of the better ways to do it when it comes to rolling stock.

mnglocker
06-20-2008, 07:08 PM
I've got a 7x12 rear ramp open trailer. I have a 48 JD ZTR, 21" JD walk behind, trimmer rack, blower rack, and a fuel rack. It's pretty tight. If you have enought truck to safely pull it around, get a 7x14' and if you take the jump to a 16' get a tandem for the extra payload capacity.

bohiaa
06-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Like you I started small, got my 1st ZTR "exmark 52", and a BOP quick 36, a 21" and finley I upgraded to a 22' trailer with 4' sides, didn't think I would ever get used to it.
then about 3 months later I had to have another ZTR went with the exmark 60"

now I'm running outta space AGAIN...

My advice is to get the biggest ya can afford

Good Luck and keep us posted

CGlisson
06-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Wow, some of you guys don't fit much into your trailers. I have a 6x12 and I fit my eXmark 52" ztr with the bagging system, my 36" viking wb, my 21" toro, gas can, and a 50 gallon landscapers barrel with room to spare! I definitely lucked out with the my ztr, it is a very snug fit on the sides. If I were to go bigger, I'd go wider.

nancy.simerson
06-22-2008, 06:08 AM
my wife says bigger is better, im not sure how she would no? but any how always plan for growth trust me you will fill it and then some good luck

punt66
06-24-2008, 04:44 PM
STOP!!!! DO NOT BUY A TRAILER!!!!!! If your serious about this work, find an old 3/4 pick up. Preferably one with a damaged bed so you can beat the seller's price way down. Strip the bed off of it and have a flat bed with dovetail ramp installed. Trailers eat gas. Trailers can be parked in in a cul de sac. Trailers can be hell backing up after 12 our days. Everything a trailer can do a truck with a flat bed and dovetail ramp can do or do better. When your talking about being lean and mean, reducing overhead, this is one of the better ways to do it when it comes to rolling stock.

Reduce overhead? Pulling is more economical that hauling. Trailer is cheaper than custom welded dovetail body. my .02

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Good question: What is your towing vehicle?

Keep in mind you don't need to buy a big ol huge trailer if you are comfortable with a smaller one and your equipment fits nicely. Save some $$ and gas mileage and keep your towing compact and not like an eighteen wheeler...

coolluv
06-24-2008, 06:29 PM
Asking that question is like asking, "What is your favorite color?" Everybody who answers will have a different reply with a very justified justification. BUT....I actually took some advice from this site and went with a 16 footer.

The truth is...the price was not that big a difference betweent a 12 to 14 to 16. Couple hundred bucks at best. When I first got the 16 footer...I thought it was huge...way to big for what I needed. BUT within the first month....I was sooooo thankful I had gotten the larger size for I needed it. I started off with a bunch of mulch jobs and if you plan on puttin 25 bags or more on your trailer with any WTB or ZTR...you will need the extra room. Could never fit mulch and a mower on a 12 footer...unless you are going to make several trips....which cost both time and gas...which equal money.

I first put my ZTR on there and thought it was way to big for my needs. I soon had three new accounts with fences and gates. Guess what? My ZTR was too big. Needed a 36 inch WTB. Once I put both of them on there and a small 21 inch push mower....that baby is filled to the max.

Point being....spend the extra cash and go big.

I want to buy an enclosed and I am going to go wtih a 20 footer for the same reason....so I can grow. Think BIG! If you go small...you will limit yourself to being small...no offense to anybody but I couldn't do what i do with a 12 foot trailer...not even a 14 footer without it costing me extra money in the long run.

Anybody agree...or disagree???

Completely agree with you. My trailer is a 16' open and I want to get a 20' enclosed. I will keep the 16' also.

Dave...