PDA

View Full Version : Transformer Compendium

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-13-2008, 02:50 AM
Ok, how about the definitive list of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Transformer Manufactures?

This time only list the Manufacturers of the transformer though, no listings for companies who have someone else make their transformer line for them.

3Able
Cooper Industries - Stable Volt
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Qtran - Qscape
Unique

John Pletcher
06-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Does Vista make their own James?

dwightschrute
06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
my questions are- where is this information coming from? AND What constitutes making your "own" transformer? Is it the core? The can? The lugs/plugs/breakers/fuses? Where do you draw the line?

irrig8r
06-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Does Vista make their own James?

I heard from the local rep this week that Vista is "moving towards" making their own.... sounded like they have some expensive fabrication machines to work with stainless steel.. maybe they're making the cases and outsourcing the rest?

Eden Lights
06-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Fx? Fx? Fx?

David Gretzmier
06-13-2008, 08:00 PM
I'll 2nd FX ( my favorite) ,
Ryco ( also makes yard bright )
Intermatic makes malibu ( yeah, they need to be on the list because we take out so many...)
Acme makes thier own.

YardPro
06-13-2008, 08:55 PM
I heard from the local rep this week that Vista is "moving towards" making their own.... sounded like they have some expensive fabrication machines to work with stainless steel.. maybe they're making the cases and outsourcing the rest?

did a plant tour last year....

no one actually "makes" the cores, etc.. they all ASSEMBLE components they buy from someone else.....

vista has someone else make their cases.

irrig8r
06-13-2008, 09:45 PM

no one actually "makes" the cores, etc.. they all ASSEMBLE components they buy from someone else.....

Vista has someone else make their cases.

Well, as you say, that was last year.

I'm talking about talking to the rep over lunch two days ago and he said they had these new fabrication machines in place...

As far as i know, up until now their transformers were made by Justin.

irrig8r
06-13-2008, 09:47 PM
Fx? Fx? Fx?

I like FX transformers. I don't know why they don't extend their warranty longer though.

With Nightscaping and Vista having gone to lifetime warranties a few years ago I would have figured FX would jump on the bandwagon to stay competitive...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Ok, how about the definitive list of Low Voltage Outdoor Lighting Transformer Manufactures?

This time only list the Manufacturers of the transformer though, no listings for companies who have someone else make their transformer line for them.

3Able
ACME (not sure these count as they are buck&boost and require an EC to hook up)
F/X Lighting
Intermatic
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Qtran - Qscape
Ryco
Unique

And the beat goes on...

JoeyD
06-16-2008, 11:22 AM

vista has someone else make their cases.

we actually make our own cores.

eskerlite
06-16-2008, 10:32 PM
I just got my first Gambino transformer and what a gift to the Contractor! Everything that anyone would want in a transformer. Everyone needs one. It really spoils an installer. Great Job Mike!
Sean Curran :)

sprinkler guy
06-17-2008, 12:37 AM
I just got my first Gambino transformer and what a gift to the Contractor! Everything that anyone would want in a transformer. Everyone needs one. It really spoils an installer. Great Job Mike!
Sean Curran :)

Sean,
What has been you favorite transformer up to this point? Which one do you usually design with out of the gate?

Pro-Scapes
06-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Sean I been trying to tell guys this for sometime now and all I got was crap from alot of guys. Most manus took a mid year price hike with stuff and that just made the G trans all the better value to me and my clients.

I guess we cant put his name on the list since he aint out in his shop winding cores and stamping cabinets. I agree on the being spoiled part. SOOO much easier to install!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-17-2008, 07:57 AM
The MG transformer is a very nice unit indeed. It has some very nice features.

Has it been UL, ULc, ETL, eETL, or CSA listed yet? I understand that it's listing was pending but have not heard any news on this front lately.

Also, technically, this transformer is on "the list"... but I won't get into that here.

Once the product is fully listed, I think it will be a real winner.

Pro-Scapes
06-17-2008, 02:47 PM
If I am fully up to date the fee for the listing has been paid by MG and its at UL for testing now.

Keep in mind every component of the trans is UL listed to my knowledge.

I will try to get a status on this tonight if I am able to.

eskerlite
06-17-2008, 05:52 PM
I use Nightscaping transformers only.

Pro-Scapes
06-20-2008, 09:26 AM
I got an email sales thing from Cascade lighting. They now have transformers from Jefferson Electric which has been making transformers for years for industrial if I am not mistaken. Not 100% sure they are making thier own and maybe someone else has some info.

FOLD also carries a brand called Pantech which is an offshore brand that we do not use. I am pretty sure pantech is at least assembeling thier own.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-21-2008, 11:30 AM

3Able
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Pantech
Qtran - Qscape
Unique

Have a great day

Pro-Scapes
06-22-2008, 10:02 AM
3Able
Jefferson Electric
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Pantech
Qtran - Qscape
Unique

I also do not think we should be excluding propriety designed units as they they are a beast of thier own. Electronic transformers are also becoming a more and more useful tool for us as well and really bringing our designs to a whole new level. With that being said we should be including the gambino and Lightech electronics as well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I sort of thought this up as a compendium of Landscape Lighting Transformers Billy... So the note on electronic transformers, although appreciated, is not really appropro for this list. I too use Lightech Electronic Transormers in some applications, but they are not exactly designed as stand alone Landscape Lighting Transformers. If we were to include these then the list should include ALL makes and models of LV transformers.

As for the MG unit... I suppose you could add it to this list, even though the company that produces it is already on the list. Now that it is available to the open market through FOLD it probably can go up there.

Pro-Scapes
06-22-2008, 11:26 PM
but yet you use the lightechs for landscape lighting in some cases so why limit it? Is this list not to help people and to provide info or is it only a list to benifit you in a search for something different? If its a useful tool in our trade it should be included and I recently found 6 lightechs VERY useful on a job.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Well, given that nobody understands my motivations better then I do....

This thread was intended to list all the MANUFACTURERS of Application Specific, Approved, and Available Landscape Lighting Transformers.

If you would like to start a list of ALL low voltage transformers available on the market, then by all means, go for it.... It will be a L o n g list.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-22-2008, 11:50 PM
3Able
Jefferson Electric
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Pantech
Qtran - Qscape
Ryco
Unique

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Manufacturers of LV Outdoor Lighting Transformers:

3Able
Cooper Industries - Stable Volt (No longer make this product)
F/X Lumiere
Jefferson Electric
Justin
MDL
Nightscaping
Pantech
Qtran
Ryco
Unique
Vista

Please feel free to add to or update this list.

RLI Electric
08-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Is Hadco made by one of the following?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
08-19-2010, 04:58 PM
I am pretty sure that Hadco and Kichler are made by MDL.

Prolightscaper
10-04-2010, 10:03 PM
What about Acme and federated transformers

Is Intermatic totally out of the game now

If so Good riddens then.