PDA

View Full Version : Rapid Loader or Tap & Go

railman
06-13-2008, 10:31 AM
What do you guys use on your trimmers Rapid Loader or Tap & Go?

johnnywill08
06-13-2008, 12:11 PM
rapid loaders are anything but.... bump heads with titanium (husky? or stihl- oi forget) last half a day.....

jameson
06-13-2008, 12:21 PM
To paraphrase Moe Syzlak, "Sorry Homer, I was raised a 'Tap & Go'er', and I'll die a 'Tap & Go'er'."

White Gardens
06-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Ya I hate the rapid loaders, you waste too much time and ultimatly line because your always throwing some away. Then you have all the little pig tails in the back of your truck to clean up.

Tap and gos are the way to go. Much less hassle, less time loading.

david shumaker
06-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I've tried one of those rapied loader attachments. The line doen't seem to cut as good as string line.

K/B
06-13-2008, 09:50 PM
Shindaiwa speed-feed. Load 20 feet at a time (without taking the head apart). It's a bump head. Can't beat it.

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 09:53 PM
Shindaiwa speed-feed. Load 20 feet at a time (without taking the head apart). It's a bump head. Can't beat it.

Yeah I want to try one of those sounds awesome.

mowerbrad
06-13-2008, 09:56 PM
I've used the tap & goes for 8 years and wouldn't trade them for anything else.

screensnot
06-13-2008, 10:16 PM

I kind of like the speedfeed. It has it's pros and cons. But I think I prefer the old Shin heads. It's a close call though.

It does load easily, though it can't hold as much string as the old Shin heads (maybe 2/3 as much).

It can't weld the strings together, but that isn't a huge problem anyway, if you are using good string.

ALC-GregH
06-14-2008, 12:23 AM
I bought the Echo U-Turn. 20ft fed in seconds, no need to disassemble to load line again.

greenred
06-14-2008, 12:34 AM
I bought the Echo U-Turn. 20ft fed in seconds, no need to disassemble to load line again.

NO DISASSEMBLE

redmax fan
06-14-2008, 01:28 AM
ive been weed whipping full time 7 years and have always used either the old john deere green machines then now for past 4 years redmax , and they both have i guess whats called the tap and go . and im wondering if people think ide be better off putting the shindiawa speed feed heads on my red max whippers . and speed of wrapping is no worry because i can re wrap my heads very quickly , what im wondering is that because the shin speed feed has a head which is all bumper button as opposed to the rmax which just has a button in the center , does the shin speed feed out string more efficiently than the rmax which alot of times when you hit on soft ground doesnt feed and you have to bump it many times or search for a hard spot to bump on . also , it seems as though because the speed feed has a much larger button it would be less prone to burning grass when you get tired or let whipper get too low into grass by accident because the bigger bumper head surface would touch ground and hold string up higher off than the smaller button on rmax would . plus it seems like because the speed feed button is so much bigger that if it did allow you to make more mistakes without burning lawn that it would thusly be less work on your arms all day making sure you held the whipper string up high enough so it wouldnt burn any grass .

screensnot
06-14-2008, 10:37 AM
ive been weed whipping full time 7 years and have always used either the old john deere green machines then now for past 4 years redmax , and they both have i guess whats called the tap and go . and im wondering if people think ide be better off putting the shindiawa speed feed heads on my red max whippers . and speed of wrapping is no worry because i can re wrap my heads very quickly , what im wondering is that because the shin speed feed has a head which is all bumper button as opposed to the rmax which just has a button in the center , does the shin speed feed out string more efficiently than the rmax which alot of times when you hit on soft ground doesnt feed and you have to bump it many times or search for a hard spot to bump on . also , it seems as though because the speed feed has a much larger button it would be less prone to burning grass when you get tired or let whipper get too low into grass by accident because the bigger bumper head surface would touch ground and hold string up higher off than the smaller button on rmax would . plus it seems like because the speed feed button is so much bigger that if it did allow you to make more mistakes without burning lawn that it would thusly be less work on your arms all day making sure you held the whipper string up high enough so it wouldnt burn any grass .

The speedfeed is super easy to bump out another click of string. You can bump it on anything.

That is also sort of a problem, because it's very easy to accidentally bump out string. But, if you do bump out too much string, you can wind it back in, in about 2 seconds. I can even hold the head to the ground, and rewind a click or two with my toe.

It really doesn't do much to keep you from scalping. I don't think your string is much higher off the ground when the head brushes the ground (it might be a 1/4").

ALC-GregH
06-14-2008, 10:42 AM
I haven't looked at a "speedfeed" I guess it's the same as the Echo U-Turn???

screensnot
06-14-2008, 10:49 AM
I think everyone should try the speedfeed. Like I said earlier in the thread, it has it's pros and cons.

One con that I forgot to mention earlier is the price for wear parts. The button on the old style heads is cheap, and doesn't wear out very fast. The entire bottom half of the speedfeed is the button. It costs more to replace, and wears out a lot faster.