PDA

View Full Version : Don't like hazy, hot & humid, look at this!

Richard Martin
06-13-2008, 11:57 AM
This is what I've been putting up with all week. We have a 40,000+ acre wildfire not far from my area and it's making working outside miserable. Not only is it hazy, hot and humid but it's very smokey to boot.

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Hey my buddy just put that same pool up for his kids. Sorry I didn't mean to get off track it dose look very humid and hazy there how hot has it been there? we are just now getting a little break from all the heat.

White Gardens
06-13-2008, 12:24 PM
I coldn't stand working with all that smoke in the air. I put up with the heat and humidity, but the smoke would kill me.

Funny thing is, I'm a smoker too. :hammerhead:

k911lowe
06-13-2008, 12:26 PM
NC sure is beautiful.the smoke is a killer.cant do nothing about it except wearing a mask?

Big C
06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Typical morning in Louisiana

Richard Martin
06-13-2008, 12:43 PM
it dose look very humid and hazy there how hot has it been there?

That's not haze, it's smoke. It actually got a lot worse after I took those pics. It's cooled off to the lower 90's in the last day or two but it was in the upper 90's and 100's from last Wednesday to this Wednesday.

That's not humidity in the air people, it's smoke.

mhussey
06-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Yea, the smoke is even at my house and I live in the Piedmont region. However, I work in Mebane and it's pretty bad there. The smell is god awful. It almost smells like plastic burning.

ProStreetCamaro
06-13-2008, 02:25 PM
A few years ago I was up in the poconos of PA at my ex fiances place. One morning I went out and it was really hazy looking and smelled like plastic burning. Come to find out it was those wild fires that were going on all the way up in canada. That was a long way for the smoke to travel to reach all the way down into PA.

dKoester
06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
It was like that here a few days ago. The wind turned out of the south and bam 1 mile visability.

wheels910
06-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Maybe we could sell our equipment and just start doing controlled burns for all our clients. One burn a growing season. $800.00 per burn.

Make the work season a lot shorter.

Just a thought.

Icepuck72
06-13-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm in Richmond, Virginia, and we are seeing and smelling this wildfire smoke from North Carolina. It started sometime last week, went away....it's back again today....:dizzy:

lawnspecialties
06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Come on Richard. At least the gnats and dogflys weren't nearly as bad yesterday. :laugh:

Richard Martin
06-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Come on Richard. At least the gnats and dogflys weren't nearly as bad yesterday. :laugh:

Our primary pains in the rear are house flies, gnats and an occassional stable fly. I have seen a couple of sheep flies around but they're easy to kill since they're so slow.

Ford2000
06-14-2008, 06:03 AM
It's been hot here to.I'm already as dark as i would be in July - August.
Sun blisters yesterday not a good thing and i'm putting the sun block on :confused::confused:

Carolina Cuts
06-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Looks like an average day in L.A.

skeet
06-14-2008, 11:59 AM
That's not haze, it's smoke. It actually got a lot worse after I took those pics. It's cooled off to the lower 90's in the last day or two but it was in the upper 90's and 100's from last Wednesday to this Wednesday.

That's not humidity in the air people, it's smoke.

Richard, I live in Central Delaware and when I wokeup this morning I could smell the smoke from your area. If you go to www.wboc.com the tv station in Saulsbury Md. (60 miles south of me) talks about the fire.

Lawnut101
06-14-2008, 12:05 PM
That mush smell horrible!

Richard Martin
06-15-2008, 05:48 AM
That mush smell horrible!

It smells like burning plastic. Right now there's no smoke or odor since the wind is blowing it to the north.

It could burn all summer. I questioned why they didn't just bring some air tankers in and put the fire out like they do out west. This "fire" is a little different.

In that part of the state they have a soil called "organic soil". It's a layer of soil about 10 to 11 feet deep that has a whole lot of organic material in it. It's this soil that is burning. The only thing they can really do is either let it burn itself out or flood the area with water. Right now they trying to flood the area but at 40,000 acres they're having a lot of trouble doing that.

skeet
06-22-2008, 10:26 AM
It smells like burning plastic. Right now there's no smoke or odor since the wind is blowing it to the north.

It could burn all summer. I questioned why they didn't just bring some air tankers in and put the fire out like they do out west. This "fire" is a little different.

In that part of the state they have a soil called "organic soil". It's a layer of soil about 10 to 11 feet deep that has a whole lot of organic material in it. It's this soil that is burning. The only thing they can really do is either let it burn itself out or flood the area with water. Right now they trying to flood the area but at 40,000 acres they're having a lot of trouble doing that.

Richard,

Are you guys still having the fires down in N.C.? We smell smoke again this morning and nothing in the news about any local fires.

Richard Martin
06-22-2008, 03:29 PM
They've got it contained for the most part. If you're smelling smoke more than likely it's coming from somewhere else.

skeet
06-23-2008, 08:03 AM
They've got it contained for the most part. If you're smelling smoke more than likely it's coming from somewhere else.

Listening to WBOC news just now and they said yesterdays smoke is coming from the N.C./VA. fires that are still burning.... burning low and slow I guess

Richard Martin
06-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Listening to WBOC news just now and they said yesterdays smoke is coming from the N.C./VA. fires that are still burning.... burning low and slow I guess

That's a different fire believe it or not. There is a "wildfire" burning in the Great Dismal Swamp at the NC/VA border. BTW, if you ever want to be absolutely no-where take a ride around the bottom of the swamp. Hours and hours of nothing. No other cars, no cell phone, one or two small fishing villages. There is a correctional facility out in the middle of it. A great place for it believe me. The mosquitos will absolutely carry you off within seconds of getting out of the car.