PDA

View Full Version : Do you charge extra for double cutting?

PB34
06-13-2008, 12:27 PM
Do you charge extra for double cutting? I have never done this, but with todays fuel prices, I may start charging for this. If you do charge extra, how much do you charge?

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 12:42 PM
If it was a new account that had not been mowed in like three weeks of if it was one of those accounts that just wanted mowed every other week then differently, but if it was a weekly account that just got tall in a week or if I could not get to it because of rain or whatever then no I would not this is all just hypothetical since I am not a LOC JMO,

fool32696
06-13-2008, 12:47 PM
If a property needs to be double cut during the growing season, I'll price it in when I bid. It's not bad when you make the first pass at 9mph and the 2nd at 15mph!

k911lowe
06-13-2008, 12:55 PM
charge one monthly price,no matter what it takes.if you cut 1x per week you should not have to double cut.if you cut every other week might be time to change.

JohnnyRoyale
06-13-2008, 01:28 PM
We just took over a school contract and some schools havent been cut yet this year. Grass is long, 2.5-3 ft in some cases and theyre paying double and sometimes triple the unit price for a single cut. They don't care-public money.

k911lowe
06-13-2008, 01:35 PM
We just took over a school contract and some schools havent been cut yet this year. Grass is long, 2.5-3 ft in some cases and theyre paying double and sometimes triple the unit price for a single cut. They don't care-public money.

trouble with them is we are the public.

JohnnyRoyale
06-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Myself included.

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Myself included.

at least your getting some of it back.

DoetschOutdoor
06-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Like said, if its a new account then yes double cut is more for initial and its figured into bid. Also, the second cut is averaging anywhere from 45 seconds to about maximum of 5 minutes worth of extra work so its not like my mower is burning very much more fuel. Its part of the game when we were getting 3-4 days of rain a week at the beginning of the season.

POPO4995
06-13-2008, 03:05 PM
No charge for double cutting. With weekly contracts, if I have to double cut, it's my own damn fault!:laugh:

milkie62
06-13-2008, 03:11 PM
I did one new customer and told them it would be $65.00 per cutting.But since it needed a double cut and possible raking since it was up to my knees in places I told her it would be $175.00 for the first time and $65 thereafter.She said OK.

POPO4995
06-13-2008, 06:22 PM
I did one new customer and told them it would be $65.00 per cutting.But since it needed a double cut and possible raking since it was up to my knees in places I told her it would be $175.00 for the first time and $65 thereafter.She said OK.

Yes in a case like that...damn right!:cool2:

daysel
06-13-2008, 08:31 PM
Depends on the client.
The people that would rather "wait till next week" get hit with the dbl cut but, they learn quickly.
If they *****, I only make one pass. Then they can see why I charge more.
But, if my client takes care of me I take care of them. I have some people that are really cool and pay me extra all the time. And I go out of my way to do little things to make their yard look nice.

topsites
06-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I got diz down to a science lol...

First off if the customer is a regular who allows me to take care of the lawn without further ado and it gets away from me, that's my own dang fault and there's usually no charge... If it's REAL bad I do sometimes tack on $5 but that's it, and I mean it best be REAL bad (honestly I don't think I've ever had it past a foot or so lol).

For everyone else...
A double cut is standard procedure, but anything the double cut doesn't take care of is extra at a cost of $5 per pass per 1/4 acre (so a triple cut on 1/2 acre = +$10). That's the simple formula for grass that CAN be taken care of within 3-4 passes. As a general rule, the 3-4 pass rates apply to lawns that are maybe up to a foot high, it all depends how thick the turf is too thou...

If I foresee clumping that will not relieve itself in 3-4 passes then it has to be windrowed and tarped, these rates are:
Calf high, double.
Knee high, triple.
Waist high, 4x.
Chest or higher, $200 per 1/4 acre (because this involves HAULING it away and a disposal fee too).
On that note, there can exist haul fees for even calf high lawns, if it's a really big lawn where the clippings have to be removed from the property and it turns out to be much past say a cubic yard worth.

Yes, do NOT let that stuff grow neck high lol
And if you do, either call someone else or get a 2nd job :p

DreamtheGreen
06-13-2008, 09:47 PM
With all the rain we been getting every lawn is different. It's in my contracts, 25% of total bill for double or triple cutting.

LawnBrother
06-14-2008, 09:47 AM
First time cuts that are tall are always extra. For regular customers, if it's my fault it's tall, no. If it's their fault, yes. If it just grew a lot in a week then no I usually don't.