PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet 33 In. Wide Area Cut Walk Behind Mower

tmramrod91
06-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this mower? I used to mow commercially but have since sold all my mowers. Just bought a house and looking for something with commercial quality cut but not the commercial quality price tag. I'll just be mowing my yard, but it has a huge hill in the back. This model runs for about $1200. Any other good brands in this price range similar to it?

Thanks for your input.

Horsepower Lawns
06-13-2008, 01:25 PM
The Cub, Troy Bilt & Craftsman are all the "same" mower, made by MTD.
The Cub has key start, Craftsman doesn't.

I would look for a nice used walkbehind. I got a used Bunton hydro for $400 and used It for 2 years with no problems.

Look on www.craigslist.com for used stuff.

milkie62
06-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I had the same in a Troy-bilt version.It is OK to start out with and it has a decent cut.But the handles always pinched my fingers when I pushed down on the levers.Very good I think to use as a backup mower so that you do not have $2-3k always sitting around and not being used.For only a couple of lawns it will be good but will not have the durability.Also wait till Craftsman club days it will be on sale for $999.00.

BanvilleLawnCare
06-13-2008, 02:24 PM
I don't own one but the Quick36 from betteroutdoorproducts.com gets great reviews. As a homeowner it would last you a very long time and the prices range from about $2000-$3000.

CFB
06-13-2008, 02:39 PM
cub cadet/craftsman/troy bilt 33 is a piece. The cut is terrible. Uncut grass everywhere. Blades have no lift. Everything on the machine comes loose including the engine. Handles fall apart. Other than that mine has lasted me 10 years, and I still use it on some yards because of it's small size. But the cut is bad, bad, bad, no matter how sharp the blades are. I need a real 32", I actually have a gravely 32" but that is a freaking tank for the yards I need it for.

When I get the funds I'll buy a quickie 32 or quick 36. You should look into it, though I hear it is not the greatest on hills. It is compact single hydro and I want it because of it's small size and reverse.

freshprince94
06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
The Cub is definitely not a commercial mower but should be fine for you.

greenred
06-13-2008, 03:16 PM
If this is the mower I am thinking of I owned the troybuilt version years ago. It was my first "commercial" mower for about a two days. I would mow 2-3 small in city lawns with it and then the drive belt for the wheels would heat up, stretch, and fall off the pulley

I took it back and got my money back. I then drove to my Toro dealer and bought a real commercial mower. That little toro walk behind lasted forever and took some serious abuse as my first mower.

I imagine MTD in the years since then has corrected the serious design flaw present in when I owned the mower, but the fact that they sold such a defective product in the first place says a lot about the company.

dura to the max
06-13-2008, 04:15 PM
I imagine MTD in the years since then has corrected the serious design flaw present in when I owned the mower, but the fact that they sold such a defective product in the first place says a lot about the company.

its MTD. what do you expect?

greenred
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
its MTD. what do you expect?

Sadly now that I am older and wiser - not much.

milkie62
06-15-2008, 12:44 AM
I have one of the original Troy-Bilt prototypes (my buddy gave it to me to try-he worked for Troy-Bilt).The worst part was the plastic geared pulleys.As long as you did not hit something it was OK.But the blades overlapped and belt was cogged and you had to but it on 90 degrees opposed.The cut was not good on the super fine grasses but seemed OK on other grasses.I hope it has improved in the 15 years or so that I have had mine but for homeowner use it was great.And still is.

greenscapestx
06-15-2008, 01:00 AM
I have one I bought about a year ago. I only use it as a backup or on yards with small gates. It only has 25 hours on it, but I haven't had any problems. The cut is great as long as you keep the blades sharp. I'm pretty happy with it because it is very simple to operate, so even my temp helpers can use it with just a few minutes of instruction. Here's a recent pic of a yard I cut with it. It was overgrown and had to be double cut, doesn't stripe very well but it did a great job otherwise.

N.TX
06-15-2008, 09:09 AM
I bought one last yr ... thought i would use it to get through part of the season.... stupid mistake. I mowed 3 yards and took it back and traded for a true commercial machine. I heard the troy built mower like it is great .... the cub isnt. I could have mowed faster and made it look nicer with my toro 21" proline

dura to the max
06-15-2008, 11:12 PM
I have one I bought about a year ago. I only use it as a backup or on yards with small gates. It only has 25 hours on it, but I haven't had any problems. The cut is great as long as you keep the blades sharp. I'm pretty happy with it because it is very simple to operate, so even my temp helpers can use it with just a few minutes of instruction. Here's a recent pic of a yard I cut with it. It was overgrown and had to be double cut, doesn't stripe very well but it did a great job otherwise.

doesnt look half bad if the lawn was overgrown. retrofit a stripe kit for it and you it would be a good little mower.

Groh's Mows
06-15-2008, 11:55 PM
They don't stripe, but I always thought both of the ones I have used (Troy Built and Gardenway-same basic mower) left a nice cut. Not strongly built but I think strong enough for a homeowner. They have a wavy blade that will mulch, discharge or bag that seems like it does all three fairly well. I also thought this mower cut better in wet conditions better than most walk-behinds, maybe because it is so light. The tires a very narrow and you have to watch that. Now if you want a real mower, check the Scag 36 belt drive I have for sale on this site :)

tmramrod91
06-17-2008, 02:04 PM
They don't stripe, but I always thought both of the ones I have used (Troy Built and Gardenway-same basic mower) left a nice cut. Not strongly built but I think strong enough for a homeowner. They have a wavy blade that will mulch, discharge or bag that seems like it does all three fairly well. I also thought this mower cut better in wet conditions better than most walk-behinds, maybe because it is so light. The tires a very narrow and you have to watch that. Now if you want a real mower, check the Scag 36 belt drive I have for sale on this site :)

I used to have a scag 36'. Absolutely loved it. I beat the crap out of that thing and had maybe $300 worth of repairs for 4 years. Unbelievable machine.

Thanks for all the input. I have recently found an encore 36' walk behind for dirt cheap locally with low hours. Seller bought it and never used it, doesn't know what he can get out of it. Works out well for me though!

greenscapestx
06-17-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm in need of another big mower, so I will sell you mine for $1000. That would save you a few hundred bucks on a new one. Checked the receipt and I only bought it 3 months ago. Has less than 25 hours. I could meet you in OK somewhere. That would be halfway for both of us.