PDA

View Full Version : Crazy supply line angle

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 03:38 PM
At the risk of getting flamed, I will ask my question. I have an install where the service line is running from the meter to the house at a very awkward angle. The line runs from the left side of the sidewalk to the front right of the house under the front sidewalk. The only place to set the DCV is in the parkway before the sidewalk. The problem is, this puts the service line to the house at a crazy angle to the DCV. I obviously want to set the DCV box parallel to the sidewalk. There is no way to put any number of fittings together to get this angle correct. Am I playing with fire if I CAREFULLY heat and bend Class 200 PVC to the correct angle. The static pressure at the house is 85PSI.
Thanks for you help.

WalkGood
06-13-2008, 03:46 PM
At the risk of getting flamed, I will ask my question. I have an install where the service line is running from the meter to the house at a very awkward angle. The line runs from the left side of the sidewalk to the front right of the house under the front sidewalk. The only place to set the DCV is in the parkway before the sidewalk. The problem is, this puts the service line to the house at a crazy angle to the DCV. I obviously want to set the DCV box parallel to the sidewalk. There is no way to put any number of fittings together to get this angle correct. Am I playing with fire if I CAREFULLY heat and bend Class 200 PVC to the correct angle. The static pressure at the house is 85PSI.
Thanks for you help.

Draw a picture and post it here.

Maybe you can install the box parallel but have the DCV itself at the easier angle. Maybe you need a bigger box tho.

Wet_Boots
06-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Whatever happened to street elbows?

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Unless street elbows come in every angle from 1degree to 89 degrees, I;ll never get there. Even adding several together just gets me further from the supply line and no closer to the angle I need to be. It is somewhere near a 75-80 degree angle.

Wet_Boots
06-13-2008, 04:24 PM
Two elbows make any angle whatsoever. No one has a gun to your head forcing all the pipes to be in a single plane.

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 04:30 PM
I think I see what you are saying. On the first plane (say of the DCV) run a 'whatever' angle street ell. Then, drop down the length of a street ell and thread the female end into the make end on the DCV) with plenty of thread sealant, and tighten to whatever angle you need. Then go on to supply line/tee to house. Do I smell what you are cooking? It would look something like this.
DCV-|______
|
| <this is the supply line to the house
|
Thanks Boots

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 04:33 PM
Darn left justification

DCV-|_______
....................|
....................|
....................|

Had to use periods to move line over

Wet_Boots
06-13-2008, 04:50 PM
You got the idea. Or it can start with a tee in the supply line with the outlet pointing up (or down), and the street ell threaded in. I say threaded, because I'm thinking brass, but in PVC, the street fittings can also be slip.

evergreensolutions
06-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Come on PVC guys. Chime in. I know this is an "old trick" used by many plumbers. I am not talking about bending a 90. Just a mild angle to get to a straight DCV. Anyone want to admit to doing this?

Dirty Water
06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Dude.

Put a tee in the supply line pointing straight up. Thread a street elbow into the tee and you can point it in any direction you want.

Come on this is a professional forum.

Here is a tap I did using a similar technique:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66533&d=1161305595
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66534&d=1161305602

londonrain
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Like boots said street 90's or four 90's and make a bridge....works for any crazy angles...
I would not heat the pipe at all....

Waterit
06-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Come on PVC guys. Chime in. I know this is an "old trick" used by many plumbers. I am not talking about bending a 90. Just a mild angle to get to a straight DCV. Anyone want to admit to doing this?

Follow what Boots and/or Dirty showed for PVC. If the T pointing straight up doesn't work in your case, lay it on it's side - glue a 90 into it, then the 90 on top can be swiveled to whatever angle you need.

You don't have to use a street ell with PVC - just a short piece in between 2 90's to make fittings fit shoulder to shoulder. Done it a million times when presented with weird angles.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-14-2008, 05:40 AM

Your are determined to melt that pipe. Somehow in your head you've convinced yourself this will make the job easier. Been working with PVC for 30+ years. Wouldn't do it. This is not a difficult issue to resolve. Also you may want to consider subbing out your DCVA work. Lot of my long time irrigator friends sub out the DCVA to have it already when they jump onto the job.

evergreensolutions
06-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Ok, Ok. I have seen the error of my ways. I had "irrigators block". I have thought about this stupid line for days, and not even considered this alternative. I certainly do not want to heat the line if I don't have to. Because of you guys' help, I am walking on a straight and righteous path. Thanks for your help.

FIMCO-MEISTER
06-14-2008, 08:26 AM
Ok, Ok. I have seen the error of my ways. I had "irrigators block". I have thought about this stupid line for days, and not even considered this alternative. I certainly do not want to heat the line if I don't have to. Because of you guys' help, I am walking on a straight and righteous path. Thanks for your help.

Good luck with the job. Don't hesitate to come back for more righteousness.:waving:

Wet_Boots
06-14-2008, 08:33 AM
and badgers

evergreensolutions
06-14-2008, 08:35 AM
In thick hispanic accent.............."Badgers, we don't need no stinkin' Badgers".