PDA

View Full Version : I hate pulling weeds

Yater
06-13-2008, 04:54 PM
I walked off of a job today. A regular $40/week customer wanted her beds weeded. I looked at the job and it would be an all-day effort to clean these things up. They appear to be overgrown from last year and the largest covers the length of the back fence...about 150' x 6'. The others are along fences, around trees, and against the house. The lady said it was a $50 job and that's what she'd pay. I left.

Surely there's a better way to get these things in order?

dura to the max
06-13-2008, 04:57 PM
round-up. then cover it w/ new mulch or straw.

topsites
06-13-2008, 05:05 PM
I hate it too but the part that always got me was the offers...
It kills me, too...

That to me is just the epitomy of this lawn 'boy' saga, there are some things don't phase me and there are other things I could care less if they do it to me, but pulling weeds by hand I absolutely can't do it either.
Anyhow...

Round-up works great, until you get into the plants.

The only other way I know that works half-decent is for certain weeds use clippers and just cut them off near the soil (but it doesn't work for grasses). This works good in bushes like Azaleas that somehow get these tree-looking things growing up in there, just cut the stem near the dirt and pull it out, blam! Also good for certain thorny crap but watch your fingers lol.

Chickweed IS easy, that stuff comes out almost all in one piece.

Then there's certain types of chemicals such as Lontrel and Fusilade but the stuff costs like $90 a quart...
I've even bought a quart of this garbage before then never really used any of it.

But as for PULLING?
I would do it for half price, maybe even 20-25 an hour, but I got to get something more than a cookie and a soda and a nice 'good little lawn boy' and minimum wage for this horse crap, sorry to hear about it but at least I feel a little better knowing I'm not the only one who feels that way about it.

These folks got to realize some of us down and dirty slaves have our bs tolerance limits too lol

zemzabob
06-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Sounds like a lot of work.

bobcatnj
06-13-2008, 06:11 PM
weeding and leaves are the two things i hate in this business. when it comes to weeding i drop 2 mexicans off and i leave because i cant stand it.

fastcat
06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
i cut the weeds low with the trimmer and the apply round up and then cover with mulch. works every time

Daily Lawn/Landscape
06-13-2008, 06:21 PM
weeding and leaves are the two things i hate in this business. when it comes to weeding i drop 2 mexicans off and i leave because i cant stand it.
These are the money makers of the business and your turning it down? I would rather pull weeds all day than mow and trim. There's alot more profit in weeds.

Yater
06-13-2008, 06:22 PM

I can deal with leaves because people are willing to pay for a "clean-up" and the improvement is worth it to them. With a good blower and a tarp, I can knock out a $200 cleanup in a couple of hours. No one wants to pay for something they "can do themselves". I say let them get out there and do it themselves. I'll offer this lady a mulch job and see if she bites. If not, I'm dropping her. She tries to haggle every time I price a job...but she always pays her $40/week on time.

jrc lawncare
06-13-2008, 06:45 PM
I walked off of a job today. A regular $40/week customer wanted her beds weeded. I looked at the job and it would be an all-day effort to clean these things up. They appear to be overgrown from last year and the largest covers the length of the back fence...about 150' x 6'. The others are along fences, around trees, and against the house. The lady said it was a $50 job and that's what she'd pay. I left.

Surely there's a better way to get these things in order? I'd walk too. I have clients we weed for, $50.00 per man hr......:):)

ed2hess
06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
i cut the weeds low with the trimmer and the apply round up and then cover with mulch. works every time

Exactly correct and $50 would have covered that unless there was a bunch of little plants. And with the correct tools and dry weather you could have knocked the weeds out without roundup. We clean beds every day because and we have commericial accounts that can't use any chemicals. It is part of the business, seperates the men from the boys:weightlifter:

skeet
06-13-2008, 09:04 PM
These are the money makers of the business and your turning it down? I would rather pull weeds all day than mow and trim. There's alot more profit in weeds.

what would you charge this lady for a days work pulling weeds, just you alone

KGR landscapeing
06-13-2008, 09:09 PM
round up heavy con of it

topsites
06-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I'm going to get you All-Star weed cultivators to come around with your superb removal methods and come get a bunch of crap right out of a BIG patch of Junipers, good stuff like grasses and broadleafs but I'll be sure to include some good prickly stuff in there like briar crap :laugh:

For what another guy said would take 2 hours manually,
and he may have been wrong and you can use chems but don't kill the plant,
BUT, hold on, wait up...
It's a 10 dollar job and that's all I'm paying.

LOL!

Which, lessons learned:
Nobody likes being 'handled' or told how it is, neither you nor I, us nor them.
Something I try and remember when dealing with folks today, helps me be a little more polite and refined.

Yater
06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
This lady thinks some of the weeds are "purdy" and she has all kinds of plastic lawn **** in there...fake rabbits, those big plastic deer, little white plastic fencing (around sections of weeds). She actually said she needs to be home so she can make sure I don't pull anything I'm not supposed to. I guess she's gonna stand over my shoulder with her walker and point out each weed? If she doesn't agree to a mulch job and a massive weed-killing, she's out. I made about $200 in the time I would have spent at her house pulling weeds. I'm sure someone else needs the money badly enough.

dura to the max
06-14-2008, 12:01 AM
id let her go right now if she's that much of a pita

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-14-2008, 12:47 AM
If weeding separates the men from the boys, then call me Peter Pan.

I don't weed. If people ask, I just tell them "that's not something I do. I have no time for it and you wouldn't like my price."

Military Lawns
06-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Most often, I can pull weeds faster than I can mow. You know your limit and if it was not worth the $50.00, then counter offer and then politely say no if they disagree and retain them as a weekly customer if possible.

I do however, disagree with just walking off, then again, I was not there.

DJ

F.S Lawn Care
06-14-2008, 02:13 AM
Happened to me today. One of our weekly customers asked how much it would me to pull the weeds in her front beds real quick. I said $20, and she said the previous guy did it for $5. I should have asked for his number.

Lawnut101
06-14-2008, 12:33 PM

I agree. The only gas I use is however much it takes my truck to get there, and the gas that comes out of my tank! lol Otherwise it's very profitable.