PDA

View Full Version : dry again

mlyons1
06-13-2008, 06:40 PM
hey guys it is getting very dry but we did get rain today will help a little just wondering if it is dry where your at?

wahlturfcare
06-13-2008, 06:52 PM
it is very wet here with ALOT of flooding everywhere. it's good for profits though.

McGaw
06-13-2008, 07:01 PM
We seem to get really hot weather during the week, and thunderstorms on weekends. Last weekend we had a few tornados. Starting to lightning right now...
I just hope the tornados stay away. lol. I enjoy watching thunderstorms:rolleyes:

-Adam:canadaflag:

Mike Blevins
06-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Its starting to get very dry here. We have had some nightly thunderstorms but they just put it down hard for about 10 minutes. We are around 5 inches below "normal rainfall" for this area already this year. I have already had some customers call with the dreaded "its to dry to mow this week".

topsites
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Nah the sprinkler systems are puffing dust and we piss in our radiators on hot days but other than that it's really not bad.

Charles
06-13-2008, 07:54 PM
I only cut one yard this week. Very little rain in a month in a half. Well over 5 inches down for the year. Enough to make you nauseated. 1000's of $ down the drain. 100 degree temps killed what grass was left

david shumaker
06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I only cut 1 yard today. Did some clipping and cleanup that took about 7 hrs today and yesterday. My yards are dry..... No sprinkler systems.

hockeypro1411
06-13-2008, 08:04 PM
we get rain here just about every other night. its kind of depressing to see how bad some people are suffering from lack of rain and we get the perfect amount to keep grass lush and green. ...oh well. yay illinois

lostmdboy
06-13-2008, 08:24 PM
Not a drop of rain here in weeks. You walk across the lawns and it just crunches. :(

mowerbrad
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
We have had a very light rain here this evening. Just about a day ago a couple miles north of my town they had about 10 inches of rain in just 6 hours. Luckily we didn't get that cause we have had plenty.

TimsLawnCareVA
06-13-2008, 09:04 PM
Everything is very dry and turning brown. Had 2 customers call today and cancel for tomorrow. Hope it isn't going to be a repeat of last year.

jnrogers
06-13-2008, 09:59 PM
had a few cancels last week, mid 90's during day got a couple of good thunderstorms yesterday but missed the bulk of my yards, it hit 2 of them, but in this heat I dont think it will be enough to really matter. Thats a shame too I have the most customers ive ever had this year. At least i have not got rained out any this year:laugh:

Scagguy
06-13-2008, 10:24 PM
11 out of 13 days this month 100 degrees or better. San Marcos which is 30 miles south of here is going to water rationing next week. Most of the yards we service are in good shape. There's a hand full that don't have sprinkler systems that are drying out. I've called those customers and told them that they need more water. Hopefully, rain is in our near furure.

bare31
06-13-2008, 10:32 PM
How about that bahaia that cuts like wire. Thankfully a little rain the other day.

mlyons1
06-13-2008, 10:39 PM
the thing is we are above our rain fall around 2 to 3 weeks ago we were very wet and had to do extra weedeating because it was so wet but it stopped raining and got very hot and humid and windy so things dryed out fast.

timmac
06-13-2008, 11:28 PM
the thing is we are above our rain fall around 2 to 3 weeks ago we were very wet and had to do extra weedeating because it was so wet but it stopped raining and got very hot and humid and windy so things dryed out fast.

same here but we got good rains yesterday and today.

Frue
06-13-2008, 11:32 PM
we just had a thunderstorm today. It is turning quick around here but if we can get a few more showers by next week it will turn around. My whole friday list is shot without rain.

ALC-GregH
06-13-2008, 11:59 PM
This brings up a question, how do you approach your customers about watering their lawns if they don't have irrigation? It seems they would rather let it die off and not have to pay to have the lawn cut. There is some that water just because they want the lawn to look nice and will have irrigation to take care of it. What about the ones that DO care but can't afford to have it installed? How do you convince them to water with a Walmart special sprinkler ya stick in the ground, drag the hose out, hook it up, turn it on, then move it every few hours to make sure your getting it all. How can you convince a customer to deal with all that then pay someone to cut it? I'm talking about lower middle class.

wiselawns
06-14-2008, 12:09 AM
We had a ton of rain at the beginning of the season, 7 or 8 in above normal. I couldnt keep up with the mowing. In the last two weeks it has been it the 90s dry and windy. Even lawns with irrigation are showing signs if stress. We did get a good amount of rain today. I got 4 lawns mowed today. I have 6 or 7 to finish up tomorrow.
Some customers just don't care if their lawns dry up and die. I dont have as many of those as when i started out. Most are high end accounts with irrigation.

ALC-GregH
06-14-2008, 12:10 AM
btw, I finished all my accounts this week. So far I'm still on weekly with all of them and they needed cut, had about 3-4in of growth. It has been hot and dry most of the week with a 1/2-1in rain on one day this week.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
06-14-2008, 12:55 AM
F
L
O
O
D

That pretty much explains it here in the Upper Midwest. We are hoping for a dry next few weeks - need to get the floods out of some of these cities.

However, lotsa rain, lotsa mowing. 5 day cycle now for most of my customers.

Carolina Cuts
06-14-2008, 07:50 AM
dry at the beach for over 4 weeks.
sad part is .... homes with irrigation aren't watering....
cheapos!

siclmn
06-14-2008, 11:07 AM
Up here in the Pacific North Wet the ground is still wet and nobody is irrigating yet. Cold days and I still wear my coat.

TimsLawnCareVA
06-14-2008, 12:54 PM
Done for the day at 12:00. Normally on Saturdays I cut till dark. 2 cancelled yesterday and 2 more this morning, not to mention the ones I can't cut because it is all dying. NEED RAIN BAD!!!! Don't know if I can handle another dry summer.

mlyons1
06-15-2008, 09:13 AM
we got 2 inches friday and friday night some parts got 3 inches forecast for this comming week temps way down high in very low 80"s one day 79 and chances of rain throught out the week.

Charles
06-15-2008, 10:40 AM
I could really kick myself for getting into a biz that depends on the weather for success.
We are just like Farmers and we all know their ups and downs. Millions of acres of Corn lost recently to floods.
For a few years the midwest will be dry and the South will be flooded. Back and forth. A few years is a long time in bill paying...............
Sounds like a broken record, I know:hammerhead: