PDA

View Full Version : Toro push mower stolen

johnnybravo8802
06-13-2008, 09:29 PM
I just had my first piece of equipment stolen today. It was a $400 Toro variable speed push mower that, to date, was the best 21" I've ever had. I had had it for about 1 1/2 yrs. and used it on almost all of my jobs. I was finishing up a doctor's resident that I had only mowed twice and had strapped my mower down to the trailer with a rubber bunji I've always used(I'm buying cables and tying everything to my trailer tomorrow including my ZTR) I was hot from push mowing and jumped in the truck and drove up the street to a convenient store. When I got out, I noticed it was gone and I thought it had fallen off the trailer. I hauled back to the subdivision looking on both sides of the road and I met this truck and looked in my rear view mirror and saw the mower in the back(I'm almost certain it was mine). I made a U turn with my trailer in the road and floored it to catch up but he was gone. I was pissed. Ironically, my father just installed a security system in their house and made the comment just yesterday that times are tough and people are going to get desperate and her I am-no mower. I bust it working two jobs to support wife and kids and this happens.:hammerhead::hammerhead:

LawnBrother
06-14-2008, 08:41 AM
That really sucks. I lock down everything almost all the time. Knock on wood I haven't lost anything yet.

johnnybravo8802
06-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Yea, part of that was my fault because all I've been doing is knocking on wood and not locking things down-too much trust. I'm going out to buy cables and locks this morning. My parents had a BR 400 stolen several yrs. ago and my dad was standing about 20 feet from the trailer guarding the equipment while my mother mowed and it was still stolen. I never understood how someone could steal something while a person was that close to a trailer but now I do. People can steal anything if they want to bad enough. Times are tough-Everyone needs to take extra precautions!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

zemzabob
06-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Sorry about the mower you work hard for your equipment and it hurts when someone just takes it.

topsites
06-14-2008, 09:29 AM
Well that's odd...
I've been missing my 2.5 gallon hand held sprayer, last time I saw it was on the trailer but it is also possible I left it at a customer's... Haven't seen it in near a week thou, done pulled out the spare by now.

So it might be gone, but way I look at it if someone was hard up enough they needed a $25 sprayer yet were decent enough to leave me my $300 trimmer sitting there so I could keep working, I really don't have but so much of a problem with it.
It's like yeah, all right, you can have it if things are really like that.

Guess someone needed a free lawn mower, that's a bit harsh there, thou.
I started chaining things back up, too.

Big C
06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
You said you bunjied the mower to your trialer...then drove off....stoped at the store and saw it was missing....then you drove back in the direction of the home that you left...then saw a truck going in the opposite direction as you with the mower in the back.....IMO...that mower fell off of your truck when you pulled off from the home and was picked up by someone else off of the side of the road...so that really dosen't mean it was stolen.....What would you do if you found a $400 mower laying on the side of the road? (be honest).I would have picked it up and put it in the back of my truck too. Unless I was 100% sure I knew who it belong to then I would return it to it's owner......That's just my opinion.....sorry & good luck.

brucec32
06-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Convenience stores are trouble. I used to have a job that required me to be in/out of them checking on things a lot. They draw low-lifes like a flame draws moths. Parking at ANY commercial location is going to make you more vulnerable to theft. The odds of a thief happening by a residential neighborhood are probably lower. But some are worse than others. Home Depots are known for being places where thieves grab stuff out of contractors' trucks. Make sure you take what you need to eat and drink with you and you'll save money and time.

The cables are a good idea. . It's enough of a deterrent to keep the casual thief away while you're on a jobsite.

CFB
06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
You said you bunjied the mower to your trialer...then drove off....stoped at the store and saw it was missing....then you drove back in the direction of the home that you left...then saw a truck going in the opposite direction as you with the mower in the back.....IMO...that mower fell off of your truck when you pulled off from the home and was picked up by someone else off of the side of the road...so that really dosen't mean it was stolen.....What would you do if you found a $400 mower laying on the side of the road? (be honest).I would have picked it up and put it in the back of my truck too. Unless I was 100% sure I knew who it belong to then I would return it to it's owner......That's just my opinion.....sorry & good luck.

Just because you don't know who it belongs too, doesn't mean it's yours. After reading this, I hope you accidentily leave a mower and somebody who thinks like you drives by.

lawnspecialties
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Yea, part of that was my fault because all I've been doing is knocking on wood and not locking things down-too much trust. I'm going out to buy cables and locks this morning. My parents had a BR 400 stolen several yrs. ago and my dad was standing about 20 feet from the trailer guarding the equipment while my mother mowed and it was still stolen. I never understood how someone could steal something while a person was that close to a trailer but now I do. People can steal anything if they want to bad enough. Times are tough-Everyone needs to take extra precautions!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

WRONG. Don't blame yourself for not locking your stuff up. Yes, you could have done more to prevent this from happening but to say it was partly your fault for not locking it up is 100% incorrect. It's still theft and whoever took it is 100% at fault. I don't care if you leave your stuff completely unlocked in the middle of cracktown. If someone takes your property, it's absolutely, positively, 100% their fault.

To say anybody is at fault because they didn't lock something implies theft is just a normal activity of society that should be tolerated to some extent.:hammerhead:

Big C
06-14-2008, 02:38 PM
Just because you don't know who it belongs too, doesn't mean it's yours. After reading this, I hope you accidentily leave a mower and somebody who thinks like you drives by.

O.K. smarta$$ tell me what would you would do if you found a mower on the side of the road?....(and don't give me that turn it in to the police crap)...1)Leave it there so that someone else can pick it up. 2) turn it in to the honest cops so that one of them can keep it.....oh wait..take a picture of it and post it around town like a lost dog.......be for real...I am not a theif by no means nor would I knowingly I take a persons property. how many times have you guys seen people pick-up items laying on side of the road...that's all I'mm saying

CFB
06-14-2008, 03:04 PM
I'd leave it there and hope the rightful owner realized it was missing, and got it before someone jacked it. You don't just take stuff that is along side the road unless you are certain it is in somebody's trash.

A couple months ago I accidentally left the door on a box truck open. I realized it when I got back and had lost a tool box full of $1500 in tools.

Jetted back there knowing many people are like you and would just steal it, full well knowing it isn't theirs and nobody would be throwing this stuff out.

Luckily, someone had found it in the road and was nice enough to pack it up and put it along side the road.

Big C
06-14-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd leave it there and hope the rightful owner realized it was missing, and got it before someone jacked it. You don't just take stuff that is along side the road unless you are certain it is in somebody's trash.

A couple months ago I accidentally left the door on a box truck open. I realized it when I got back and had lost a tool box full of $1500 in tools.

Jetted back there knowing many people are like you and would just steal it, full well knowing it isn't theirs and nobody would be throwing this stuff out.

Luckily, someone had found it in the road and was nice enough to pack it up and put it along side the road.

People like me huh:waving:

johnnybravo8802
06-14-2008, 04:29 PM
O.K. smarta$$ tell me what would you would do if you found a mower on the side of the road?....(and don't give me that turn it in to the police crap)...1)Leave it there so that someone else can pick it up. 2) turn it in to the honest cops so that one of them can keep it.....oh wait..take a picture of it and post it around town like a lost dog.......be for real...I am not a theif by no means nor would I knowingly I take a persons property. how many times have you guys seen people pick-up items laying on side of the road...that's all I'mm saying
I'll answer both questions for you. It didn't fall off the truck because when I went back, the thick rubber bunji that I used was laying in front of the house in two pieces where someone had yanked it and tore the bunji-thick rubber and had to take some force. I did find a survey case about 1.5 yrs ago at the corner of two streets and there was a level and lazer sites in it -fell off a truck. I took it to the police dept. and reported it and then drove to the paper and they advertised it as missing. So, you see, some of us are still honest out there. I could have kept it but I chose to be honest and was thinking of the hard working man who needed that for his job. That loss was taking food out of his kids mouth just like with my two girls. I had to buy another mower this morning and it set me back $534 which is money we didn't have but I use the mower on all my jobs.

newz7151
06-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I'll answer both questions for you. It didn't fall off the truck because when I went back, the thick rubber bunji that I used was laying in front of the house in two pieces where someone had yanked it and tore the bunji-thick rubber and had to take some force. I did find a survey case about 1.5 yrs ago at the corner of two streets and there was a level and lazer sites in it -fell off a truck. I took it to the police dept. and reported it and then drove to the paper and they advertised it as missing. So, you see, some of us are still honest out there. I could have kept it but I chose to be honest and was thinking of the hard working man who needed that for his job. That loss was taking food out of his kids mouth just like with my two girls. I had to buy another mower this morning and it set me back $534 which is money we didn't have but I use the mower on all my jobs.

Look, you must not have typed your original post out all the way.

Here is the order of things that I can tell from your post.

1) You were mowing an account.
2) You had the mower strapped to the trailer.
3) You decided you were hot and drove to the store to get something to drink (presumably, you have the trailer behind you)
4) You got out of the truck at the store, before going in, you looked in the trailer and your mower was gone.
5) You drove back to where you last were and a rubber bungi cord was on the ground in two pieces.

Now, given those steps, between which two steps was your trailer unattended for somebody to take the mower?

STIHL GUY
06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
that real sucks. I havnt had anything stolen yet and i hope to keep it that way

johnnybravo8802
06-14-2008, 08:43 PM
Look, you must not have typed your original post out all the way.

Here is the order of things that I can tell from your post.

1) You were mowing an account.
2) You had the mower strapped to the trailer.
3) You decided you were hot and drove to the store to get something to drink (presumably, you have the trailer behind you)
4) You got out of the truck at the store, before going in, you looked in the trailer and your mower was gone.
5) You drove back to where you last were and a rubber bungi cord was on the ground in two pieces.

Now, given those steps, between which two steps was your trailer unattended for somebody to take the mower?
I'm not sure when it was stolen. This is the order: Edge,mow with push mower and put it on trailer, mow with rider, trim, blow, pick up sticks, went to store and saw machine was missing. I think it was stolen between picking up the sticks and driving to the store. I fly solo so I put a piece of equipment on the truck and grab another one. I met the truck with a mower(I assumed it was mine because it looked like mine from the back) coming from the store, turned around to run him down and he was gone.

newz7151
06-16-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm not sure when it was stolen. This is the order: Edge,mow with push mower and put it on trailer, mow with rider, trim, blow, pick up sticks, .

Well ok, see, none of that was in the original post. I, and maybe others like me, thought all you had was just the push mower and that you went from getting finished mowing with the push mower and putting it on your trailer and then running to the store.

Had we known about all of the other stuff, picking up sticks, mowing with the rider, etc, then maybe yeah, somebody could have lifted your mower off the trailer.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Well ok, see, none of that was in the original post. I, and maybe others like me, thought all you had was just the push mower and that you went from getting finished mowing with the push mower and putting it on your trailer and then running to the store.

Had we known about all of the other stuff, picking up sticks, mowing with the rider, etc, then maybe yeah, somebody could have lifted your mower off the trailer.
It was definitely stolen and I'm still looking for the vehicle out of anger knowing that I'll probably never find it. However, this is a fairly small town and you never know who you'll run into. I'll also be looking at the other LCO's. They better hope I don't find them!!!!!:hammerhead:

ALC-GregH
06-16-2008, 11:00 AM
do you have the serial number off the mower? If not, how will you identify it as yours? Sorry about your loss. It sucks but thieves will steal from you while your standing there. They really don't care if they think they can get away with it.

Guzman Properties
06-16-2008, 11:28 AM
I take pictures of every piece of equipment I own. I take a picture of the model and serial number as well. I have even gone to the extent of stamping the serial number on other parts of the machine, but that's just me.

freshprince94
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
That stinks. However, if i found a mower on the side of the street, I would have just left it.

cgaengineer
06-16-2008, 12:12 PM
It was definitely stolen and I'm still looking for the vehicle out of anger knowing that I'll probably never find it. However, this is a fairly small town and you never know who you'll run into. I'll also be looking at the other LCO's. They better hope I don't find them!!!!!:hammerhead:

Give me a description of the truck and I will look for it around here too. Loganville is really close to Winder so you may be in luck. Also let me know what model Toro 21" and I will be on the lookout for it a a pawn shop that sells tons of mowers around here (Parks them outside).

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 12:25 PM
do you have the serial number off the mower? If not, how will you identify it as yours? Sorry about your loss. It sucks but thieves will steal from you while your standing there. They really don't care if they think they can get away with it.
I gave the serial number to the sheriff's department-it was only 1.5 yrs. old. I cable everything down now and I may go with the picture idea also-that's a great idea. Live and learn!!

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 12:34 PM
Give me a description of the truck and I will look for it around here too. Loganville is really close to Winder so you may be in luck. Also let me know what model Toro 21" and I will be on the lookout for it a a pawn shop that sells tons of mowers around here (Parks them outside).
I appreciate that. The mower was a red Toro Personal Pace 21". There were some small scratches on the lower part of the deck on the side opposite the discharge where it had been rubbing on the trailer. It was a bagger w/o the bag and I had it set up to mulch-no discharge chute-that's here at the house. The vehicle was a pale yellow 92-95 model S10(flat front end) with a white camper shell or either a Chevy Blazer. We were going in opposite directions at 40 MPH so it was hard to tell. The mower was stolen close to HD Atha and Hwy 138. I plan to go through a couple of subdivisions further down HD Atha. Thanks again.:drinkup:

cgaengineer
06-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I appreciate that. The mower was a red Toro Personal Pace 21". There were some small scratches on the lower part of the deck on the side opposite the discharge where it had been rubbing on the trailer. It was a bagger w/o the bag and I had it set up to mulch-no discharge chute-that's here at the house. The vehicle was a pale yellow 92-95 model S10(flat front end) with a white camper shell or either a Chevy Blazer. We were going in opposite directions at 40 MPH so it was hard to tell. The mower was stolen close to HD Atha and Hwy 138. I plan to go through a couple of subdivisions further down HD Atha. Thanks again.:drinkup:

I will keep my eye out for that truck (Not many S10's look like that). I will also stop by the Pawn shop tomorrow on way home to see what I see.

johnnybravo8802
06-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I will keep my eye out for that truck (Not many S10's look like that). I will also stop by the Pawn shop tomorrow on way home to see what I see.
I was thinking the same thing about the S10. Thanks again!!!!:clapping::clapping: