PDA

View Full Version : "Why are there ruts in my lawn?" she asks...

Whitey4
06-13-2008, 10:35 PM
Yesterday....Senior citizen, watches everything I do (two more accounts across the street).... John...Oh JOHN! I've got my backpack blower on, and she calls me over. "Why do I have these ruts in my lawn?" she asks.

I say, "Mrs. L, those are not ruts. You had ruts in your zoysia lawn all winter because the previous guy never changed his mowing patterns, They were there all winter. These are not ruts. It's called striping. It's a good thing."

"Well why does it look like that?"

"Because it's supposed to."

"Oh, like that house over there?"

"Yes, Mrs. L, like that house."

"Can you stop doing that?"

Finally, after a bad day of customers whining about just this sort of thing... I say... "Yes, we can rip out the lawn and install carpeting. But, then we'll have to find a vacuum cleaner that leaves no stripes on the carpet."

Just before that, the guy across the street tells me I took out a sprinkler head. I went from 2 1/2" to 3" cuts 3 weeks ago. NOW, I took out a sprinkler head in the middle of the f'n lawn? I don't make turns there, and no WAY am I cutting low enough to hit a sprinker head. 15 year old system, fatigued plastic, I rolled over it and it went.... but I get to pay for a new one.

The asswipe before that house came out whining too, this after I gave her two freebies, a spot spray and a small seeding job gratis.

After the "striping incident", I walked to the middle of the street, and screamed "Your lawns look 300% better than they did last year! Anyone want to complain about THAT today?"

They were all very nice when I went back for pruning today.

Top Dog Pavers
06-13-2008, 10:58 PM
where in LI are you out of?

doubleedge
06-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Sounds like you need a vacation.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Da*n, there ain't nothing on TV tonight as entertaining as LS!!!:laugh::laugh: It just keeps getting better and better!

dura to the max
06-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Da*n, there ain't nothing on TV tonight as entertaining as LS!!!:laugh::laugh: It just keeps getting better and better!

yup, gotta love LS

topsites
06-14-2008, 12:33 AM
I know that feeling thou...
This is one of the reasons I worked long and hard to get just the types of customers I want...
It didn't all work out exactly to plan (yeah go figure) but it did get better over the years.

Still, some days...
I would tell you what I did just recently but I can't :p

Lets just say I see myself one day using the Z's FULL power...
Not what I did, but today I have that mechanism in me...
Not something I wanted.

That's strange and in ways scary...
Stuff I saw other Lco's doing when I first started that just SHOCKED me!
Now I see not only why and where they were coming from, but have found myself in those very same situations.

///////////////////

The hardest part I strain to comprehend, and am afraid of understanding...
In some cases it really is innocence, they just don't know any better.
But it kills me when it's the little demons doing it, that's like DUDE quit!
And then when the S.O. gets in on it, in support of...

Most of mine are not like that at all, not ever.
Those are just the kind don't last very long with me, unless it's just once in a moon, then it's not so bad.
The striping bit, can't say for sure, I would've probably just said "Sure Mrs. L I'll stop doing that" and go on...

Funny what sets us off, it's not the same for everyone.

topsites
06-14-2008, 12:42 AM
I got one for you:

I FINALLY understand WHY new home building contractors almost NEVER set up new homes with nice lawns...
The home is fine, it's just the yard is usually crap.

One part really is that it's not their primary responsibility, but try and get folks to see THAT :laugh:
Just not the nicest thing to try and explain, I guess...

The other part amazed me, thou it did make sense after I saw the picture...
There is a small neighborhood around here, might be 20 or 30 new homes, and they were ALL built with Class-A beautiful sodded LAWNS! With working irrigation systems to boot!
You would think Wow...
I did...

Would you believe right now only ONE of those homes still has a beautiful lawn?

Here is why...
Because they don't know how to care for it, it's not just the homeowners but they even call Lco's for help... It's nothing doing, you can't argue with or convince folks who haven't a clue, this is, however, a skill I might start to work on... If such a skill exists, if it doesn't take countless hours of free time forever and ever, I mean...

They fired me :p

But it takes more than just sod, a lawn mower, working sprinklers, or a call to Scott's or Chemlawn to KEEP it that way.
Much, much more.

It really is true, beautiful lawns are, for the most part, no accident.
Giving a new homeowner a beautiful lawn is actually a waste, most of the time.

KCfireman
06-14-2008, 12:48 AM
i feel you. I mowed after a good rainfall and it left ruts in her yard(which is very nice) Im damn lucky that ive known her for 8 years. If this was a new accounty she would be saying bye bye.

whoopassonthebluegrass
06-14-2008, 12:57 AM
Seriously, one of the funniest posts I've read. Laughing out loud in the office like a buffoon...

K/B
06-14-2008, 07:12 AM
And you want to call yourself a professional?:nono:

zemzabob
06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
It's just one of those days.

DLAWNS
06-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Whitey4--

I hear ya. As professional as we all aim to be, there are just times where we lose it because people just push and push. By the way thats funny as hell.

Whitey4
06-14-2008, 08:22 AM
And you want to call yourself a professional?:nono:

OK, the part about screaming "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!" was an embellishment, but I did ask Mrs L why people complain when their lawns look awsome, greatly improved from last year on these three accounts by their own admission. Lighten up there big fella.

BTW, I'm a solo in Hicksville, LI, and all of my accounts are in town.... I only advertise using door hangers I distribute myself.... tight route, and only accounts that I would want.

These three customers have actually been good ones... lots of extras, plantings, removals, mulch jobs.... it was just a strange day, I guess. But, I did let each of them know, in a less than subtle way that some honey mixed in with the vinegar would be appreciated. It worked... when I went back the next day for some pruning, they were all very friendly, they got the message.

Rhett
06-14-2008, 09:52 AM
We all have days like that. Get a call about broken sprinklers that I must have run over in my haste to mow thier lawn again. (Thier Words) Next day/ Mr Smith can you please move your wife's Land Cruiser. Why Lawn guy? Because she is parked a foot off the drive way with her tires on the broken sprinklers. Third time I have had to replace these. Here is your bill.

QualityLawnCare4u
06-14-2008, 11:22 AM
I can see it now, front page news. "LCO goes beserk, police and EMT had to be called to remove him in a straight jacket from middle of street, neighbors were hiding in homes, LCO was considered dangerous armed with a weedeater in one hand and a blower in other screaming madly and foaming at the mouth" :laugh: :laugh: