PDA

View Full Version : Video: learn about how decks cut

tacoma200
06-14-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm not the biggest Cub Cadet fan but this video is really informative about how decks work. Reasons for the high or low front edge. Reasons for having few baffles in some grasses while needing more baffling for softer grasses. The SELECT CUT SYSTEM by Cub Cadet is pretty impressive on paper. It shows they are working hard to customize decks for different conditions. I'm not sure how it performs in the real world but I'm impressed with the effort. Here's a link. Watch the entire video for the most information. Especially those new to the business.

http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayContentView?langId=-1&storeId=10401&catalogId=17504&pageName=TankVideo.html

http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayContentView?langId=-1&storeId=10401&catalogId=15901&pageName=cubcadetcommercial_difference.html

redmax fan
06-14-2008, 01:22 AM
thanx for the report , interesting info .

MJB
06-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I'm not the biggest Cub Cadet fan but this video is really informative about how decks work. Reasons for the high or low front edge. Reasons for having few baffles in some grasses while needing more baffling for softer grasses. The SELECT CUT SYSTEM by Cub Cadet is pretty impressive on paper. It shows they are working hard to customize decks for different conditions. I'm not sure how it performs in the real world but I'm impressed with the effort. Here's a link. Watch the entire video for the most information. Especially those new to the business.

http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayContentView?langId=-1&storeId=10401&catalogId=17504&pageName=TankVideo.html

http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/DisplayContentView?langId=-1&storeId=10401&catalogId=15901&pageName=cubcadetcommercial_difference.html

Thats a good video it would really be better if they a nicer lawn to show what the mower is capable of. It obviously knocks down grass great, but how many of us mow lawns that look that bad? I want to see a mower make a nice cut and leave a nice stripe. Tanks are getting better. How much are they anyone know?

greenred
06-14-2008, 01:46 AM
I was kind of disappointed in that video. The grass looked absolutely horrible and you would think they would show off that striping kit that comes with the deck. To me it just looked liked the grass had been cut too short with dull blades and they either did not have the striping rollers installed or they don't work that well. The problem could be as simple as the company that produced the commercial not having a clue what they are doing or it really represents the quality of the new deck.

MJB
06-14-2008, 02:04 AM
I was kind of disappointed in that video. The grass looked absolutely horrible and you would think they would show off that striping kit that comes with the deck. To me it just looked liked the grass had been cut too short with dull blades and they either did not have the striping rollers installed or they don't work that well. The problem could be as simple as the company that produced the commercial not having a clue what they are doing or it really represents the quality of the new deck.

I don't think they no what their doing or what it is we want to see. They are just showing how fast it will mow and blow, not the finished product. To bad I need to see the stripes and quality of cut I don't have any lawns like that. But I still like the video as far as showing different features of the mower. All dealers can learn from this, put it on tape.

Bad Boy send me a mower to make a video in Northern season grasses. I'll buy it if cuts and stripes decent with a mulching kit.:waving:

tacoma200
06-14-2008, 02:16 AM

Your right the grass in the video isn't the greatest. The explaining of what the front edge being higher or lower and how it affects the cut is what interest me. Also the removable baffles. Yea you would think they would find some really nice turf to show on the video. But the theory of how the deck works is all I was interested in, not the bad turf. This deck is being advertised in a lot of magazines and comes with an adjustable striper or at least that's what the adds show in the magazines. Like I said I'm not the greatest Cub Cadet fan but anytime I find a video describing "why" they do certain things to decks to make them preform is always interesting. I'm not promoting Cub here, just the reasoning for why they design decks the way they do.

This makes me understand why Hustler with few baffles and a high front baffle does well in the rigid Southern grasses and not so good in Midwest locations where lift is needed. I've noticed a lot of company's that make video's to promote their product don't choose the best location or turf for the video or show them cutting off only a small amount of grass.

Groh's Mows
06-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Thanks for posting the video link. The adjustable baffles remind me of what Scag has with the advantage and velocity decks and the Toro system, I think it is called the turbo baffle or something like that. The Toro would make the most sense here where fescue and bermuda are both common lawns. With Toro's adjustable deck there is a quick change lever to move the steel plate(s) whereas with Scag or Cub it is not something you would want to change too often with several bolts or nuts to take loose or even all the way out.

MJB
06-14-2008, 02:25 AM

Do you know what these Tanks are going for $$$?

tacoma200
06-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Do you know what these Tanks are going for $$$?

To be honest and I'm not putting down on Cub but they are still only used by home owners or young kids trying to get in the business here. But I know from Envy and ProStreetCamaro that they are a capable machine. I have never priced one but they are supposed to run less than most any commercial ZTR if what I hear is correct. ProStreet said his dealer was to rigid in his pricing so he went with Gravely instead this time though.

MJB
06-14-2008, 02:59 AM
To be honest and I'm not putting down on Cub but they are still only used by home owners or young kids trying to get in the business here. But I know from Envy and ProStreetCamaro that they are a capable machine. I have never priced one but they are supposed to run less than most any commercial ZTR if what I hear is correct. ProStreet said his dealer was to rigid in his pricing so he went with Gravely instead this time though.

The one I demoed in 2006 was just under $8000 if I remember correctly. But the ride was what dissapointed me the most. If Toro didn't take over Exmark I would go back for another ultracut deck but I hate Toro so bad I can't even look at a new Exmark.

greenred
06-14-2008, 03:00 AM
Your right the grass in the video isn't the greatest. The explaining of what the front edge being higher or lower and how it affects the cut is what interest me. Also the removable baffles. Yea you would think they would find some really nice turf to show on the video. But the theory of how the deck works is all I was interested in, not the bad turf. This deck is being advertised in a lot of magazines and comes with an adjustable striper or at least that's what the adds show in the magazines. Like I said I'm not the greatest Cub Cadet fan but anytime I find a video describing "why" they do certain things to decks to make them preform is always interesting. I'm not promoting Cub here, just the reasoning for why they design decks the way they do.

This makes me understand why Hustler with few baffles and a high front baffle does well in the rigid Southern grasses and not so good in Midwest locations where lift is needed. I've noticed a lot of company's that make video's to promote their product don't choose the best location or turf for the video or show them cutting off only a small amount of grass.

I agree. From the stand point of of "why" and "how" the new design features work its a very informative video and I wish more companies would put the effort into explaining why their deck design works the way it does. The video just doesn't sell the mower very well. I have seen the advertisements for the new deck in industry mags for a few months now and was interested in it. I was curious as to how well MTD could pull off all the features of the new deck. Hopefully someone who owns one on here will chime in with their opinion.

Tim White
06-14-2008, 03:23 PM
I have an 08 60in. tank, went from a 54 to 60in. and i love my TANK! If all the emark guys would try it you might find that there are other products out there that perform. The new deck design seems to work awsome and stripes beautifully. Havent tried messing around with the leading edge of the deck yet . As for price, $7400 out the door. Cub products have grown in popularity here in nw pa.

ProStreetCamaro
06-14-2008, 03:42 PM
Our Tank that we sold this spring cut great and left one of the most defined stripes of any mower we have ever owned. It was an M48 with the older command cut deck.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v426/prostreetcamaro/uckingaround002vt2.jpg

ProStreetCamaro
06-14-2008, 03:52 PM
Cub products have grown in popularity here in nw pa.

I used to go to millersville university all the time about 5 years ago to visit my now ex fiance. At the town house they rented the company that took care of it used 3 Tanks. Up untill that point I had never seen or even heard of a Tank. I walked out and watched them and looked close at the cut quality and it was very good. A few years later we bought an M48 and it was a very good machine and cut good. We liked it and wouldnt have sold it had we not felt the need for a 60".

Here is my real honest oppinion on the Tanks after owning one for 2 1/2 years.

1. They cut great in most all conditions and leave an awsome stripe
2. They are built heavy duty.
3. They are rough mowers. Might have something to do with the frame design or wheelbase im not sure but it will bounce you around pretty good on areas thats not perfectly smooth
4. I was not crazy about the way the deck was suspended with the steel links.
5. The mower didnt seem as "refined" as some other mowers
6. The steering levers were unlike any mower we have ever used. It wasnt bad or anything just felt odd for a day or two till we got used to it.

Over all I give them a big thumbs up. Cub has come a long way with there mowers and I would recommend one in a heartbeat.

mike plummer
06-15-2008, 01:35 AM
I had the tanks for 8 years IF Ihad to get another mower right now it would be a tank
got a m60 had a m54 can't go wrong just my 2 cents

zemzabob
06-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Cool video thanks
My buddy has a Tank m60 and loves it.