PDA

View Full Version : Anybody get heat related headaches?

ProStreetCamaro
06-14-2008, 01:46 PM
I seem to always get heat related headachs in the summer when I am working. My friend and I just did a 9 yard mulch job today and I feel like I could just keel over my head hurts so bad. I drink gatorade but maybe not enough? Water makes me sick to my stomach so I tend to never drink water. I am about to shower and take some asprin and lay down. Feel very weak right now. :dizzy:

Firefighter337
06-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Age? Health Issues? Stroke in the family?

Stick your tongue out, does it point to one side more than the other?

Slurred speech?

Not to scare you. It is probably that you just got a monkey on your back. Go SIT down and drink some cool fluid. NOT cold, but cool. And sit infront of a fan.

Aspirin is a great idea.

topsites
06-14-2008, 01:54 PM
If I'm not mistaken that could be a sign of dehydration, unless you're already drinking a lot of water I'd recommend a quart an hour, or at least a gallon a day... It sounds like a lot but way I do it is I just keep going back to the truck and I have this cup I fill with it, chug it down, keep on getting it... I do measure it out to some degree, I like to say at least a gallon a day, it usually comes natural but I force it some if I have to: drink lots of water.

Some folks like to say "If you don't have to pee, you're not drinking enough."
It's true :p

tamadrummer
06-14-2008, 01:57 PM
It is surprising that water makes you sick to your stomach because too much gatorade makes me sick! Too much sugar is bad and the water counters it for me.

You should try to do something to get straight water in you in some way, anyway possible and then balance it with gatorade. It may be the gatorade doing it to you.

Supper Grassy
06-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Are you sweating? if not you need to drink more

You are either Dehydrated or Suffering from Heat Exhaustion

Symptoms Of Worsening Dehydration
As the patient becomes more dehydrated - irrespective of the cause - symptoms include: weight loss (2-3 pounds per day), dryness of the mouth, decreased production of saliva, impaired swallowing, shrinkage of tissue, dry/wrinkled skin, headache, raised pulse, shrunken eyes, and fever. As dehydration and salt loss progresses, blood output from the heart decreases, while sweating may cease entirely. Body temperature then rises precipitously. If urination falls too low in response to the dehydrated condition of the body, the kidney becomes unable to excrete toxic waste products. The combined effect of high temperature, reduced blood output and kidney malfunction is irreversible shock and death. Typically this occurs in previously healthy adults after a water loss of about 12-15 liters (3-3.75 gallons), but may occur much more quickly in the very young or very old.

Heat exhaustion symptoms

Warning signs of heat exhaustion include:

heavy sweating

paleness

muscle cramps

tiredness

weakness

dizziness

headache

nausea or vomiting

fainting
The skin may be cool and moist. The victim's pulse rate will be fast and weak, and breathing will be fast and shallow. If heat exhaustion is untreated, it may progress to heat stroke, which is a medical emergency. Seek medical attention and call 911 immediately if:

symptoms are severe, or

the victim has heart problems or high blood pressure.
Otherwise, help the victim to cool off, and seek medical attention if symptoms worsen or last longer than 1 hour.

Firefighter337
06-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Gatorade is full of sodium. Yes you loose quite abit of sodium through the day sweating, urinating, etc. BUT you are getting TONS of sodium through your food. Practically, nobody gets 2000 mg or less per day. Everyone is normally over.

Do your have high blood pressure? If you can hear your heartbeat in your head, your blood pressure is pretty high. BUT, this is can be normal since you have been doing moderate to strenuous work out in the heat.

Fact: You need to cool down, drink plenty of fluid and relax. Your urine should be light yellow to clear (unless you are on a multivitamin with High B vitamins, they will turn your urine to very yellow/light orange)

I'm not a doctor just an EMT-I. So I have some emergency smarts.

robertsturf
06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Start out the day drinking water. When it's hot you need to hydrate yourself before you get too hot. I have the same issue. I will be 50 next wednesday and go through the same thing. When I was 22 or so I got severe dehydration and ended up with a 105 degree temperature. It took me a week to get over it. I always drink plenty of water during the day. Take regular breaks in the shade when doing things like mulching. Also wear light colored clothing and stay away from caffeine products like Coke. Also check what the label says is in Gatorade. One last thing when I have a really bad headache I usually take Ibuprofen, like 4 and use a wet towel wrapped around my neck and then I just pace myself. That's why the guys that work for me are all 19 and I still out work them most of the time!! Good luck.

zemzabob
06-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you need to drink a lot more water.

ProStreetCamaro
06-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Age? Health Issues? Stroke in the family?

Stick your tongue out, does it point to one side more than the other?

Slurred speech?

Not to scare you. It is probably that you just got a monkey on your back. Go SIT down and drink some cool fluid. NOT cold, but cool. And sit infront of a fan.

Aspirin is a great idea.

I am 29 and dont have any known health issues. My grand mother had a stroke a few years ago and passed on because of it but other than that non that I know of. My tongue points out straight and I dont have any slurred speech.

After sitting here relaxing for an hour my head is starting to ease up a little. I havent taken anything yet so I am going to go do that now and take a cool shower.

I have a feeling I never drink enough. I am a heavy sweater. It was pouring off my head all morning and my shirt was soaked. It was dripping off my nose every time I would bend over to spread the mulch.

I have been like this as long as I can remember :cry:

Firefighter337
06-14-2008, 03:08 PM
I am 29 and dont have any known health issues. My grand mother had a stroke a few years ago and passed on because of it but other than that non that I know of. My tongue points out straight and I dont have any slurred speech.

After sitting here relaxing for an hour my head is starting to ease up a little. I havent taken anything yet so I am going to go do that now and take a cool shower.

I have a feeling I never drink enough. I am a heavy sweater. It was pouring off my head all morning and my shirt was soaked. It was dripping off my nose every time I would bend over to spread the mulch.

I have been like this as long as I can remember :cry:

No sweat! (Pun intended)

Just take an aspirin and drink some more fluids. Take your temperature and if it is 98-99 go take a nap to get rid of your headache. Just have someone check on you periodically.

You should be fine.

Icepuck72
06-14-2008, 06:45 PM
If you start drinking fluids the morning of, you're already behind the 8 ball. You need to hydrate yourself the night before. Your pee needs to be clear.

Also, if gatorade is too strong, try the Gatorade Rain or the Gatorade G2. They're much lighter and taste better. Regular Gatorade is just too strong, IMHO.

Tharrell
06-14-2008, 07:45 PM
You can mix your own Gatorade-weak or strong, go to wal-mart and get a can. Also, too much Gatorade makes me feel the way you're describing. Plus I get severe diah, diah-----the runs. I was told to drink twice as much water as Gatorage by some GI's returning from Iraq. Haven't had a chance to really test it though. I just stay hydrated, period.