PDA

View Full Version : Solo guy really sick....

Pastaboy62
06-14-2008, 08:54 PM
So i had a fever on Thursday of 102.5. I was like ehh, that is a little but I had a lot of lawns to do, so i figured what the hell, ill mow anyway. Well Thursday night it went up to 104.3, which is also on of my favorite radio stations. I was like oh man, so I took a bunch of advil and hoped for the best. On Friday it was still 104 so I thought I shouldn't mow. That was a bummer b/c I had 11 lawns to do which is a lot of time for me. I went to the doc and they said it was nothing. Friday night I was 105.7, just about had an out of body experiance. Went to hospital. Got shot up w/ drugs and went back to work today/Saturday. 99.6 this morning. Mowed from 1:30 to 4:25; I woke up at 10:45. Which made me feel like a nub b/c people were going to church and I was in their way. get So nonetheless, I am still behind on my work and it sucks. What do you solo guys do when you get sick like this. I hate getting sick, I am never sick, but when I am, I am....

Sorry bout the rant...

greenred
06-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Oh man I feel you. One fall I was doing leaf cleanups into December and working another job at night. I was sick and just couldnt take a day off and kept working getting sicker and sicker. Finally after we had our first snow and I was able to take a weeks vacation from other job I went to doctor. Found out I had pneumonia real bad and I spent my weeks vacation in bed.

But seriously man a temp that high you should see a dr as soon as possible. It is very dangerous.

dougmartin2003
06-14-2008, 09:03 PM
i only get sick about 1 or two times per year, and most of the time its in the fall or winter. last time i was sick i was in bed for 2 days, and it was in march

ATouchofGrass
06-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Having a fever is like a car or mower overheating, dont prolong it.. get it fixed haha

Precision Lawns
06-14-2008, 09:35 PM
To answer your question. I get sick like a normal person. Two or three times a year where I really shouldn't be working. The most dangerous thing about a fever and a mower is the dizziness and lack of judgment in a crises. I have networked with other LCO's in my area. If I can't work I'll call them and see if they can help out. Before my buddy sold his business, we would cut each others lawns for a little under the actual mowing charge for the lawn. That way the owner can still meet expenses and the company helping can still make some profit on helping the other guy out. If you network well things balance out an you'll end up helping someone else out eventually.
A word of caution, however, you need to build a relationship with these people BEFORE asking them for help. I wouldn't want you to get burned. Good luck.

Green Finger
06-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Take plenty of vitamin C , golden seal, and all that stuff. My wife makes me take it. So I don't get sick. (Thank the Lord)

Tis best to stay doped up than to be sober and sick. lol

For Solos and one crew teams. Keep your health up.

Tim03
06-14-2008, 10:34 PM
Hey all, do you think there is a market for someone that basically covers other LCO sick days? Has anyone seen something like that? Would you use it?

MnDLawn
06-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I would help you if you were closer, hope you feel better.

topsites
06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Stay away from me lol

So I don't get sick, only times I've ever been sick in the past 4-5 years is always some contagion issue...
Horse crap, school and big work places will do it for one, so can busy stores, any place lots of folks congregate.
Not to say it's all their fault, it's just how it is, but you might have caught it from a relative or close friend or someone you see a lot of... Or maybe a customer, or at a store some kind of way, most of the times I have ever been sick it was always transmitted.

But the good news is you're almost over it by now.
You should be gtg by Monday, might have to take it kind of easy for a bit if it weakened you but you should be fine.

I would help you if you were closer.

Forget that lol
Go away, stay in bed lmao

Pastaboy62
06-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Yeah, I think its starting to wear off. Hopefully I should be able to mow on Monday. but now they are predicting rain for Monday....I can't win...

And thanks for the offer MnD

rt20
06-14-2008, 11:10 PM
glad your feeling better. One winter, when it was just me, I ended up in the hospitol during a huge snowstorm. Luckily I had someone who was able to take over and helped get everthing done, but he had to stay up for 24 hours straight to get it done with everything else he had going on.

Just curious if this makes you wonder about getting a part-time helper to take over in case something like this happens again?

Toy2
06-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Gets worse as you get older....better have a back up plan, maybe another LCO to help you out.

Roger
06-15-2008, 12:16 AM
This is a problem that gives me great concern. In eleven years, I've not missed a day of working outside, doing what I needed to do, or nearly so. But, I can only remember one tough day -- back spasms.

My sick time for all these years has been rare. I started out that way -- perfect attendance in six of the first eight years of schooling, and only a couple of days in high school. For the 35 years I worked for others, I only took sick time off a couple of times, once for a week with strep throat. So, my track record is good.

I'm much more concerned about injury than sickness. Toy2 -- your comment is scary, worse as one gets older. I'm a bit older than most here, not as much spring in the step, not as much flexibility in the joints, just not as nimble as I would like. With all the holes in the lawns, slippery slopes, getting on and off the trailer, handling equipment and grass bags, tarps, etc, the potential for an injury is great.

I have no backup plan. If I have an injury to keep me sidelined for awhile, I'm done, kaputz. That is not good, but the reality of the matter.

rt20
06-15-2008, 07:48 AM
That's tough. Lots of things you could do as a backup or insurance policy. Maybe try hiring a semi-retired guy to work one or two days a week and then he could be there in case you need him to fill in on other days or when you need two people for some jobs. The good thing about this insurance policy is that if you find somebody with a good work ethic you could make some more profit off his hours instead of just paying a "premium payment". Most of these guys have some benefits and are not looking for full-time.

razor1
06-15-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow 105.7! Hope you feel better soon. I can't remember the last time I had a fever that high. I don't mean to sound like your Grandma, but unless I've washed my hands or used that hand sanitizer stuff, I never eat or touch my hands to my face. This works great for me, I rarely get sick anymore.

metro36
06-15-2008, 09:06 AM
You are from Jersey right? Do you guys have Lyme's disease up there? If so you should get checked. I got it last August and I had high fevers like that and other symptoms. I never noticed the tick bite or found and itchy lump. Turned out I had gotten bit in the back up my leg by my knee and I could see the tick so he was sucking on me for awhile.

zemzabob
06-15-2008, 09:12 AM
That sucks when your solo glad your feeling better now.

AdamChrap
06-15-2008, 09:54 AM
I usually only get sick in the winter (at least real sick to wear I am stuck in bed). But A few years back I had to work with a cast on my arm and right now I am working with bad pain until fall when I can most likely schedule in a surgery on my knee. Granted I am not a one man operation but I still can't get sick!

N.TX
06-15-2008, 10:02 AM
Go find a place like labor ready and get some guys to help you. Just give them some push mowers and let them go at it if you do smaller properties.

Pastaboy62
06-15-2008, 11:13 AM
When I went to the hospital, they took some of my blood to do tests. My dad asked if they were going to do a lyme test and they said no. I was like why not, I probably am at high risk for it, I get bitten a lot (not by ticks). Also, I did chop down some pretty high grass the week before so I thought it was possible. The doc said nothing.

I did have someone working for me last year but I wanted to see if I could do it alone this year. I can but in times like this it was not a good move. I do have a friend that cuts some lawns but he also has a full time job but if I am ever sick like this again (or want to go on vacation). I am going to at least give it a shot.

SoloSulkySurfer
06-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Hey Q104.3 is my favorite station too. Not a good body temp though. I had a similar situation when I had Lymes disease. I usually hire helpers when im sick even if I make less and the job isnt A+ you got to do something.