PDA

View Full Version : My take on my ferris is 2000 after one month

ford88
06-14-2008, 09:24 PM
After owning a bobcat 61inch for six years I upgraded to a 2007 Is2000 ferris 61inch,I did not know much about them as most around here run,scags...bobcats....exmarks..I got a great deal on it with the bagger system.This model has the 25hp kawa on it,This is what I have found,The cut is as good as my bobcat was good but not great The ride is great nothing like it.The speed is also good very fast and very smooth,It mows good in all conditions wet or dry,I love the rubber discharge shoot it folds over if you hit something.If I was to buy a new one I would get a bigger engine it bogs on hills with the bagger on,but I only use the bagger for clean-ups.One thing I don't like Is there is a lot of blow out on the front of the deck,It does not affect the cutting at all but the grass flys out the front.I used some super high lift blades but it made no differance.So on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 8 If anyone else is running one please give your input....ED

punt66
06-14-2008, 09:38 PM
I have a is1500 52/25. The machine is great. I can fit in and around almost anything. the rubber discharge chute is the best! The ride quality is fantastic. I have 420 hours on it now and the only trouble was a slowly seeping pump. I just noticed it because dirt was sticking to it. Ferris replaced under warranty but other than that its run flawlessly. I will be adding a 3000 with a 61 next spring.

mattfromNY
06-14-2008, 10:00 PM
After 3 yrs, 1000 hrs. with a IS2000 the issues I've had: Both hydros have died, the hour meter died, the hydro tank behind the seat leaks (replaced twice), and I lose a coil on the motor whenever the motor gets wet (rain or washing), I think the cut leaves much to be desired and the motor is not enough (27 Kohler) hills, tall grass and wet grass really make it grunt. My dealer has been great in getting things covered for warranty, picking up my machine and getting me up and running whenever I've broke down. The machine is built really heavy, we've put it through a lot of tall grass and not-so-manicured country lawns, and it has held up well. When I am ready to trade, I will be looking at a few others due to the cut (I've tried new blades, Ferris' new high lifts, mulching blades and some aftermarkets, still leaves much to be desired)
I have three Ferris mowers, 36", 52" DD and the IS with a 61", overall the 61" cuts the best in most conditions, but I dont think any of them cut decent in all conditions.
I sharpen blades daily, grease the machines every day and change fluids more often than recommended, so I dont think my mechanical problems are attributed to abuse or neglect.

punt66
06-15-2008, 09:30 AM
Well the hydros are the same as the other mowers so ferris isnt to blame for that. The engine: THATS WHY YOU BUY A KAWI! I agree about the cut however. I am having problems with the cut recently myself. I am still trying to figure it out. Trying different blades etc. I will talk to my dealer on monday to see if i am missing something. Its leaving alot of straglers and casters are laying the grass down so at times it doesnt get cut and i am left with stripes of longer grass. But the cut hasnt always been that way.

lawnk123
06-15-2008, 09:33 PM
Ive the got is1500 52/25 like JP. I've found the cut to be pretty average. It leaves small streaks on occassion and i have been pretty disappointed in that aspect. I grease it and sharpen blades daily also. Doesn't seem to matter much. Most the companies around here run Exmarks, and they cut on the exmarks seem to be superior. My dealer says make sure the decks clean and blades sharp. they are, still questionable cutting for the price tag.

tacoma200
06-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Thanks for the candid reviews. That's one of the best ways for the rest of us to learn about other equipment.

mattfromNY
06-15-2008, 09:59 PM
I agree about the Kawi engine being superior. Kawis on both my 36 and 52, Kohler on the IS2000. Ferris is all I've owned/ run, so I dont have anything to compare to, but reading on here about others having a much nicer cut, I'm up for some test rides when I decide to trade.

elmo1537
06-15-2008, 11:16 PM
I have owned both grasshopper and ferris. Currently I own three grasshoppers and one ferris. I used to own three ferris mower one was a z and the other two were wb. I was never extremely happy with ferris from the start as far as cut quality. I then tried grasshopper and since then most of my guys wont even run my ferris because the grasshopper blows it away as far as cut quality is concerned.

Frue
06-15-2008, 11:33 PM
well here we go. i own the ferris 2000. cut quality is good, striping sub par, I have went through a pump,hour meter and only have 275 hours on it. The ride and speed are unbelievable. I also have the kohler 27 i had to have it turned up it is at 3790 right now and it is humming. You must check the air filiter and tap it daily because it is a verticle and sucks in a lot of dust. I do not like the blow out in front of the deck.

things I dont like, I do not like the deck bearing down when you slow down and go in reverse, the cut out deck design in the front, and not a big fan of the deck depth. Would I by another I think so. This mower is fast and it loves hills it blows my slow lanky toro a way but toro smashes it with its cut quality.

Big Red Ferris
06-15-2008, 11:40 PM
i have a 1500z its the best riding mower ive ever had ive run 3 wheelers 4 yrs
and i think the ztr's go lil fast so slow down and watch the cut ive been know to look back and see sum straglers, but the blades were dull and the deck was pretty cloged up make sure the decks clean and you will get a good cut i scrape every 10 days and sharpen 2 times a month i run all kawi to my cuz has 30 khol's there junk they dont make the power they say they put out we found that a 30hp puts bout 23 horse out when it gets too the deck and they dont pull hills worth a hoot...

Big Red Ferris
06-15-2008, 11:43 PM
ps thats a 3100 with a 61 i think if your gonna get the 61 try the new big blockzx 1500zx61

milkie62
06-16-2008, 01:48 AM
I have just purchased a 3100 with 26 l/c kawasaki.No good with bagger.Could stall motor.Ferris took it back and now have 32 hp Briggs ------AWSOME NOW.

mattfromNY
06-19-2008, 08:39 AM
i have a 1500z its the best riding mower ive ever had ive run 3 wheelers 4 yrs
and i think the ztr's go lil fast so slow down and watch the cut ive been know to look back and see sum straglers, but the blades were dull and the deck was pretty cloged up make sure the decks clean and you will get a good cut i scrape every 10 days and sharpen 2 times a month i run all kawi to my cuz has 30 khol's there junk they dont make the power they say they put out we found that a 30hp puts bout 23 horse out when it gets too the deck and they dont pull hills worth a hoot...

I scrape the decks and sharpen blades EVERY DAY. Pressure wash the underside at least once a week. Cut quality still leaves a lot to be desired. :cry:

CGlisson
06-20-2008, 01:17 AM
I scrape the decks and sharpen blades EVERY DAY. Pressure wash the underside at least once a week. Cut quality still leaves a lot to be desired. :cry:

Matt...what dealer do you go to in CNY? Seems to me that there are better options than Ferris. However, it's all about the dealer's customer service too...

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-20-2008, 09:03 AM
got an is1500 with 48" deck and 21hp kaw. has around 500hrs on it now and not one problem except i stripped a stud when pulling the wheel to adjust susp. dealer changed it under warranty.

the hour meters on the ferris have been known to be faulty for a couple of the model years, my dealer kept telling me to watch out for it and hed replace it free of charge.

my cut quality is very good, just make sure your deck is pitched correctly and i use only hi lifts. ive found that the deck likes to clog in heavy wet grass and clump alot, but in anything else it cuts great for me, thats why we got a pro v with vel + deck.

ive demoed a tank with 54" deck and 23hp kaw, talk about bogging down. this thing would slow the rpm's just trying to accelerate, i think ive heard my ferris bog down maybe five times, on really steep hills or very heavy grasses.

hey every mower has got their problems, u just have to find one that you like best. i run scag and ferris. i like chevy's, ford's and dodges, go figure.

scott Cadwallader
06-23-2008, 03:29 PM
I have a Ferris 1500. If I stop to pick up something in the path. stop the blades, set the brake, etc.,

Get off, pickup and get back on, I will have a brown patch of grass the next day from the heat.

Anyone have this experience?

I really like the way it cuts, doesnt' bog down, a little clumping when the grass is late and has grown higher etc..............

let me knwo

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-23-2008, 03:50 PM
i do the same thing, stop to pick up the trash that is in the way, but ive never noticed any burns or anything from the heat. does your muffler have a heat shield around it? b/c mine does. i have the 21hp kaw.

scott Cadwallader
06-23-2008, 03:53 PM
I believe it does have the shield. I will check again. I do know the muffler is pointed up and away from the ground. My dealer is know longer a ferris dealer. The nearest is 100 miles away. Speaking to them, they had not heard of it either..........

mybowtie
06-23-2008, 06:29 PM
Have a 04 IS2000 61" 27 hp Kol. like the ride and speed. However it does not cut as good as my 04 Lazer z 60" 27 hp kol. Never had a issue with the kolars on either machine. Only time mine leaves a stripe is when blades are very dull. Hour meter on mine went bad also..........:usflag:

cartec01
06-29-2008, 02:10 AM
Scott,
My IS1500 does the same thing. Actually, I never could figurre out why it let brown spots until your post. Must be the heat. My cut is not good at all. Ferris replaced blades, no better, gator blades, no better, new deck...better for half of a season, now doing the same thing again. I don;t get it.

ProTouch Groundscapes
06-29-2008, 02:15 AM
i really dont get why the ferris has such a bad rep for crappy cut quality, im not calling bs i do believe you guys on the quality, its just that ours has cut really well since we got it, ill get a pic of this one yard we cut with it that just looks awesome.

4 seasons lawn&land
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
I have the same machine as the O.P. 61" with the smaller 25 hp Kawi. Same as everyone else here, the ride and speed kick @ss but the cut is just fair. I ran a Exmark Lazer for a couple years and that would cut awesome but the lawns around here in the "country type" areas are just that, country lawns. So I think your average time on a lawn between the IS and the laser is about the same when you factor in some double cutting on the Ferris and the going slow on the laser so you dont bounce of the mower... I'll take the Ferris in most cases, unless a lawn is really smooth! For my next mower I may stick with Ferris or not... IDK I've been spoiled by the ride. I have to demo one of the machines said to have a smoother than average ride and a great cut and compare. I'm liking the things that have been said about front mount on a recent topic of mine.

scott Cadwallader
07-09-2008, 11:54 AM
the
Ferris ride is the best. I mowed my two acres with a JD rider. took 3 plus hours. Now with trees to go around etc, I can be done in 1 1/2 hours. Tough thing with the Z turns is that you can't let go the handles to take a sip of a beverage that they were kind enough to put the holder in for? Plus if its carbonated, it goes flat from the vibration.

I think the cut is affected by 1. the amount of grass being cut. 2. if the deck has a build up. 3. sharp blades and 4. speed.

If I am cutting say a 1/2 inch to 1", I can cut pretty fast and it looks good after the wheel marks in the grass spring back up.

My neighbor drags some kind of roller to lay the grass downa and stripe it. Ferris has a similar device to attach behind the deck and scuff the grass. Anyone using it and how do you like it?

4 seasons lawn&land
07-09-2008, 04:05 PM
dont worry, you learn to steer w/ 1 hand...

mybowtie
07-09-2008, 08:33 PM
the
Ferris ride is the best. I mowed my two acres with a JD rider. took 3 plus hours. Now with trees to go around etc, I can be done in 1 1/2 hours. Tough thing with the Z turns is that you can't let go the handles to take a sip of a beverage that they were kind enough to put the holder in for? Plus if its carbonated, it goes flat from the vibration.

I dont know of a mower, ztr or rider that wont make carbonated beverages flat...On a hot day, however, my beverages dont have time to go flat....:usflag:

milkie62
07-10-2008, 01:08 AM
I have only owned a Ferris and because of my terrain I would not beable to tell the difference.But my best customer commented on how great her lawn was compared to other houses in the high end development.I did not tell her though that a good triple 15 and 46 % urea had something todo with it.I will eventually try the Lazer and Toro to compare the cut with my Ferris but I am very pleased along with excellent dealer support with one issue I had.

SORRY 1500z
09-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Ive the got is1500 52/25 like JP. I've found the cut to be pretty average. It leaves small streaks on occassion and i have been pretty disappointed in that aspect. I grease it and sharpen blades daily also. Doesn't seem to matter much. Most the companies around here run Exmarks, and they cut on the exmarks seem to be superior. My dealer says make sure the decks clean and blades sharp. they are, still questionable cutting for the price tag.

im haveing the same problems with streaks and the deck belt comeing off.see my post sorry 1500z

punt66
09-19-2008, 10:01 AM
im haveing the same problems with streaks and the deck belt comeing off.see my post sorry 1500z

I was having the same problem as you. I mentioned it to my dealer so he came out with a tape measure. Measured the deck to trailer floor in the front of the deck and the back. There wasnt enough forward pitch. The front of the deck needs to be 1/4" lower than the front. Mine was level. When i made the adjustment its been 400 hrs later and the belt hasnt jumped off once. Before it was jumping off at least every other day. I also was having streaking problems. Aset of gators and removal of the discharge chute cured that.

tnpete
09-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I Have 2 of the IS2000's both do a great job. And cut great. The only time I see a piece of grass not cut. Is when I am running wide open and the grass is a little 2 tall.
Mine does blow grass up on the left front side of the deck. That I do not like. The 3100 and 4500 I tried did not do this. And wish I could get that taken care of.
I have the Kaw Liquid cooled motors. And like them also. And cut on some hills that is hard to walk up. But it handles them great.
Pete

Green King
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
Around here most of the guys who have owned ferris or own them would probably question wether you upgraded over the bobcat! Bobcat from the demo's I have done is a very good cutting machine! And from what I here trouble free!

mikes280z
04-14-2009, 10:19 PM
i am finding that the tip speed on the ferris is to blame for the poor cut some times. it seems it may be poosible the the mower is governed at a lower rmp. or they need to put a little bigger pully on to increase the blade speed a little.. please respond or mail me if anyone agrees with me

southgagrass
04-14-2009, 11:03 PM
I just got a 1500zx with the 61" and a 28hp big block briggs. I have not had a problem with any of the cuts but I have noticed the front blow out on the deck. The main problem I have is that the deck does not go low enough does anyone else have this problem? In the south the 1.75" is just not enough I need it to go aroung 1.25 for centipede. What could I do about this? Thanks for any help.

punt66
04-15-2009, 07:01 AM
I just got a 1500zx with the 61" and a 28hp big block briggs. I have not had a problem with any of the cuts but I have noticed the front blow out on the deck. The main problem I have is that the deck does not go low enough does anyone else have this problem? In the south the 1.75" is just not enough I need it to go aroung 1.25 for centipede. What could I do about this? Thanks for any help.

get ne deck chains that are 1 link longer.

LuvMyFerris
04-15-2009, 10:49 AM
the
Ferris ride is the best. Tough thing with the Z turns is that you can't let go the handles to take a sip of a beverage that they were kind enough to put the holder in for? Ferris has a similar device to attach behind the deck and scuff the grass. Anyone using it and how do you like it?

I have learned how to hold both levers with one hand.....and also to let go of both for a second or two if going in a straight line in an open area...

I have the "stripe kit" from Ferris, which is nothing more than a heavy rubber flap that hangs off the back, works ok but not worth the money and the effort it takes to drill the deck to install it. I would buy the roller like your neighbor has, those are supposed to be the best but they are not cheap if your looking for a good stripe?

BTW-Last time I looked on the ferris website, I no longer see the stripe kit, or hitch kit the only thing I still see offered is the light kit which works VERY good IMHO. :cool2:

PS-I have to ask, you commercial guys that run Ferris, do you run your throttle at wide open when cutting?

LuvMyFerris
04-15-2009, 11:20 AM
EDIT: BTW-Last time I looked on the ferris website, I no longer see the stripe kit, or hitch kit the only thing I still see offered is the light kit which works VERY good IMHO. My Bad its still on the site.